Opinion Could Alyssa Milano and other celebrities be accused of extortion

Nesruk

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Edit: im dumb ;)

I am only an expert on bird law so I wanna hear you guys' opinion. Personally I find the whole thing pretty despicable regardless if its illegal or not because they are trying to abuse their financial power for legislative change. The issue of abortion being right or wrong is not what I am here to discuss so hope people can stay on topic:

Alyssa Milano and around 100 other celebrities basically tried to strong-arm the government in Georgia to change official policies by depriving them of workers/revenue/job creation.
petition-1.jpg

(Letter sent to Georgia Governor Brian Kemp)

"But we cannot in good conscience continue to recommend our industry remain in Georgia if H.B 481 becomes law"
"We want to stay in Georgia. We want to continue to support the wonderful people, businesses and communities we have come to live in the Peach State. But we will not do so silently, and we will do everything in our power to move our industry to a safer state for women if H.B. 481 becomes law."

So here is here is the thing that makes me wonder if this could actually be used to accuse them of extortion:
"The use of force, or the threat of force, to obtain money, something else of value, or services from a person is often known as the criminal offense of extortion. Many jurisdictions classify extortion as a “crime against property” or a theft-related offense, but the threat of harm to a person is an essential element of the offense. This could consist of physical harm, financial harm, destruction of property, or abuse of official power."

"California’s extortion statute, which defines the offense based on two elements, the alleged perpetrator’s objective and the means used, offers a good example of extortion’s legal definition. The statute prohibits a person (1) from obtaining someone else’s property or “an official act of a public officer;” (2) by wrongfully using force against the person, instilling fear of harm in the person, or acting “under color of official right.”

According to Alysa Milano going through with the act (which they did) would "chase billions of dollars out of the state economy"

https://www.justia.com/criminal/offenses/white-collar-crimes/extortion/

Last edited:
No, refusing to do business is not extortion, lol.

I am only an expert on bird law so I wanna hear you guys' opinion. Personally I find the whole thing pretty despicable regardless if its illegal or not because they are trying to abuse their financial power for legislative change. The issue of abortion being right or wrong is not what I am here to discuss so hope people can stay on topic:

Alyssa Milano and around 100 other celebrities basically tried to strong-arm the government in Georgia to change official policies by depriving them of workers/revenue/job creation.
petition-1.jpg

"But we cannot in good conscience continue to recommend our industry remain in Georgia if H.B 481 becomes law"
"We want to stay in Georgia. We want to continue to support the wonderful people, businesses and communities we have come to live in the Peach State. But we will not do so silently, and we will do everything in our power to move our industry to a safer state for women if H.B. 481 becomes law."

So here is here is the thing that makes me wonder if this could actually be used to accuse them of extortion:
"The use of force, or the threat of force, to obtain money, something else of value, or services from a person is often known as the criminal offense of extortion. Many jurisdictions classify extortion as a “crime against property” or a theft-related offense, but the threat of harm to a person is an essential element of the offense. This could consist of physical harm, financial harm, destruction of property, or abuse of official power."

"California’s extortion statute, which defines the offense based on two elements, the alleged perpetrator’s objective and the means used, offers a good example of extortion’s legal definition. The statute prohibits a person (1) from obtaining someone else’s property or “an official act of a public officer;” (2) by wrongfully using force against the person, instilling fear of harm in the person, or acting “under color of official right.”

According to Alysa Milano going through with the act (which they did) would "chase billions of dollars out of the state economy"

They are not using force though, they are merely deciding to do business elsewhere. So no its not extortion, not even close.

There is an interesting conversation to be had here though, about whether or not its good that such a small number of people could potentially have such an impact on the legislation of a state, people who by and large don't even seem live in said state.

I believe women should have legal access to abortions before the 24th week but at the same time I am not entirely comfortable with coastal elites who live on the other side of the country trying to strong arm Georgia into conforming with their values. Ultimately the will of Georgians and of their representatives should prevail.

So I guess everyone that boycotts is extorting.....right?

My birds have the worst fucking attorneys...

petition-1.jpg

Declining to do business in a state has never been construed as "using force" in regards to extortion.

You would be laughed out of court.

Declining to do business in a state has never been construed as "using force" in regards to extortion.

You would be laughed out of court.
So the court would extort him too? Where does it end?

Is that real and spectacular? Or am I mixing actresses up?

Not extortion. Just dickish.

The governor should release the names of everyone that did it along with everything they said and start a campaign against Hollywood business practices. Try to get all Republican governors to "ban" Hollywood from working in their states and watch the industry suddenly tell actors to shut the fuck up.

Hollywood Celebrities should be rounded up and thrown out of a helicopter. Useless scum.

<3>

Last edited by a moderator:
I think she can be accussed of having an altogether over inflated sense of her own opinion and a certain amount of hubris regarding herself as some sort of moral authority.

Is lobbying extortion?

No, no it is not.

Back