Cotto/Martinez - June 7 - MSG

That was an awesome performance by Cotto but to be honest it was tough to see that ending sequence in Martinez' corner.

I think this ranks as one of my finest predictions.

awesome bro, and you stuck by it, outside of the Teddy Atlas trepidation, but that is normal, I'd say.

I picked Cotto at first, but mostly because I thought Sergio was done. Then I slowly went to thinking Sergio would win, with so many people picking him. I thought it might be my fan Bias picking Cotto.

I certainly never saw this dominance.

You even picked the dominance, because Cotto owned Quintana in every way, and like you said, rolled Delvin. Which is basically did tonight with Martinez.

So Cotto doesn't have the Restraints of the Top Rank and Golden Boy Cold War right ? So does that mean he can lure a Rematch with Floyd ?

Easy money.

You want to talk about Sergio's chin again Farfan? and all the people Cotto couldn't KO?

It's amazing how many people can't analyse two fighting styles and come out with the clear winner.

awesome bro, and you stuck by it, outside of the Teddy Atlas trepidation, but that is normal, I'd say.

I picked Cotto at first, but mostly because I thought Sergio was done. Then I slowly went to thinking Sergio would win, with so many people picking him. I thought it might be my fan Bias picking Cotto.

I certainly never saw this dominance.

You even picked the dominance, because Cotto owned Quintana in every way, and like you said, rolled Delvin. Which is basically did tonight with Martinez.

The what now?

I picked Cotto from the moment the fight was announced. I conceded that if anyone could lay Cotto out with one punch it'd be Sexy, but I didn't see Cotto giving him the room to do so.

So Cotto doesn't have the Restraints of the Top Rank and Golden Boy Cold War right ? So does that mean he can lure a Rematch with Floyd ?

Aye. Wouldn't be surprised if he takes an easy defence this winter and rematches Floyd next May.

Easy money.

You want to talk about Sergio's chin again Farfan? and all the people Cotto couldn't KO?

i've been eating my fair share of crow pie for the last couple hours, i don't need this :icon_lol:

It's amazing how many people can't analyse two fighting styles and come out with the clear winner.

because you never made a wrong prediction before :icon_lol: .
kovalev-cleverly , garcia-matthysse etc....

i've been eating my fair share of crow pie for the last couple hours, i don't need this :icon_lol:

because you never made a wrong prediction before :icon_lol: .
kovalev-cleverly , garcia-matthysse etc....

Stop trying to deflect your failure.

I didn't back money on either of those fights, I only gamble when I know who is going to win. The Garcia fight was hardly a bad prediction, close fight that was neck and neck until a freak eye injury.

You got this wrong cause you don't know much about boxing. Simple really.

Have to agree with President. This was an easy fight to break down. Never seen so many people so certain that a guy as limited and physically broken would dominate.

Stop trying to deflect your failure.

I didn't back money on either of those fights, I only gamble when I know who is going to win. The Garcia fight was hardly a bad prediction, close fight that was neck and neck until a freak eye injury.

You got this wrong cause you don't know much about boxing. Simple really.

failure ? lol you take this shit too seriously .
dafuq do i care if you had money on a fight or not ? mr " cleverly will beat kovalev" is suddenly a boxing guru who can't fathom how people get predictions wrong .
i guess al bernstein and other numerous boxing insiders who picked sergio don't know shit about boxing too ?

always looking for excuses and whining when you get predictions wrong , and always acting like a dick in the rare times when you get it right . stay classy you prick.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why I have less v cash than I did before.

I think this ranks as one of my finest predictions.

Nice one, i was sure Sergio is going to take it.
I thought Maravilla had more in him but also Cotto was really good.

Still mesmerized after last night, man. I had a feeling Cotto would have a chance, but I didn't think he'd be THIS good. Good God, what a performance.

And I'm glad that the folks that were so confident on Martinez are not backpedaling, and are taking this L with dignity. Sergio was a terrific talent and an exciting champion, but his body just can't go anymore. If he retires, no one would question it, and he has had an amazing career.

But back to Cotto. I know everyone talks about Cotto's left hook, and with good reason, but what's not talked about is simply how good Cotto's skills as a pure boxer are. He has great footwork, a stiff jab to compliment his sledgehammer left hook, and tremendous hand speed and combos. Pair that up with the great Freddie Roach, bring back more emphasis to Cotto's signature left to the body, and you got yourself a friggin' monster.

You know Freddie's been wanting another shot at Floyd since the Oscar fight (especially since he has Manny), and with Cotto performing the way he has lately, we might just be seeing Mayweather/Cotto 2 on the horizon. I don't think this year because Cotto always wants to rest with his family after a tough fight, but if he either beats GGG in a unification bout, or beats Canelo in a mega-money matchup in MSG in December, then he would have perfect leverage to get another fight with Floyd come Cinco De Mayo 2015.

Martinez has a very poor chin and terrible defense, anytime he is caught clean around the temple he tends to fall over. I really don't understand how anyone genuinely believed that a hard, accurate puncher like Cotto who excels in ring generalship would not fuck him up like that.

This was such an easy fight to breakdown, the same thing would have happened to a prime Martinez in there as well. Cotto didn't give him space to work and disguised his left hook by feinting his jab, which wasn't even needed as an actual punch tonight. Cotto's left hook to the body was phenomenal as well, it took the steam right out of Martinez every time he flung it.

Martinez has been scraping by against guys tailor made for him. Cotto showed us what an elite fighter does to him last night.

This is version of Cotto has a very good chance of beating Floyd, I'd be tempted to back him.

Back