Cotto/Martinez - June 7 - MSG

just posting to say ... I have to eat it. Thought Sergio would have enough left.

so what are the odds cotto will face GGG in the near future?

just posting to say ... I have to eat it. Thought Sergio would have enough left.

so what are the odds cotto will face GGG in the near future?

Slim but not unreasonable.

Bob will try to match him up carefully to milk as much money as possible but it seems like at the end of the day, Cotto calls the shots. If he wants to defend the 160 pound title, he'll want to defend it against a name.

Its probably no coincidence that Golovkins next fight is at the Garden.

Bob will try to match him up carefully to milk as much money as possible but it seems like at the end of the day, Cotto calls the shots. If he wants to defend the 160 pound title, he'll want to defend it against a name.

i was thinking that last night. Golo is a huge risk. Not just in terms of losing the belt and derailing the cotto train; but Cotto can get seriously hurt IMO.

What's great about Cotto's victory is that it opens so many new possibilities in the fight world..

Cotto vs Canelo/Lara

Cotto vs GGG

Cotto vs PBF II

This is the sharpest Cotto I've seen in a while, under Roach, we are seeing a very solid fighter in Cotto...looking at his previous fights, like against Clottey, Trout, he was making fundamental errors and getting hit with shots he should have easily evaded/blocked.

Cotto's people is not going to let him fight GGG or Canelo, at least for now. Probably a tune up fight first. GGG and Canelo all have fight-stopping power, and historically Cotto struggled with such fighters (Manny, Margarito and such)

Cotto's people is not going to let him fight GGG or Canelo, at least for now. Probably a tune up fight first. GGG and Canelo all have fight-stopping power, and historically Cotto struggled with such fighters (Manny, Margarito and such)

First fight with Margacheato dont count. Can't believe how things have played out for Cotto since his loss to Manny however. As things pan out for Cotto I have to take some credit away from Manny's stoppage against him. So vividly I remember a big factor of why Cotto didn't so too well against Manny was that Marg broke him--a point made by Freddie at the time.

Avenged and punished Marg, did pretty damn well against PBF and now a career ending stoppage against Sergio. Cotto is a damn fine prize fighter. With Roach in his corner I wouldn't hesitate to pick him over any of those match ups.

When the fight was first announced I thought Martinez would win easily, but I watched the first ep of 24/7 and changed my mind to 50/50. I didn't know Sergio was that broken lol. I knew about his injury against Chavez, but that's it. I then watched some Cotto footage and remembered how fuckin good he is. Miguel is the better boxer by far and Sergio is not the athlete he used to be. I wouldn't say its a cherry picked opponent but smart match making by Cottos team. If you were a trainer would you put your fighter up against someone you don't think he can beat?

Im a huge Cotto fan but I don't think he can beat GGG. I think he would be to much for him. It would be a great win for GGG, but I dont like seeing the fighters I grew up watching get hurt. I'm a fan of both though!

He should take a fight with Canelo at 160, he has a good chance of winning AND it's a nice pay day. The only reason I don't want another Floyd fight is because I want a Mexican to give him his first loss!! If he fights like he did last night, PBF would be in for a long night. I would still favor Floyd though, just cuz he's the best.

This win is a testament to Floyd's greatness.

Martinez may need to hang up the gloves.

Im glad he won all those fights seem great. He would probably get stopped by Canelo or GGG though. Idk if he can take those shots. The first Margo fight counts just as much as the 2nd btw. Probably even more.

First fight with Margacheato dont count. Can't believe how things have played out for Cotto since his loss to Manny however. As things pan out for Cotto I have to take some credit away from Manny's stoppage against him. So vividly I remember a big factor of why Cotto didn't so too well against Manny was that Marg broke him--a point made by Freddie at the time.

Avenged and punished Marg, did pretty damn well against PBF and now a career ending stoppage against Sergio. Cotto is a damn fine prize fighter. With Roach in his corner I wouldn't hesitate to pick him over any of those match ups.

I wouldn't just blindly trust that Margarito cheated against Cotto in the same fashion as the Mosley fight. And even then in the Mosley fight it was even questionable that if Magarito cheated at all. I'd attribute the revenge against Marg for smarter gameplan rather than Marg not cheated. And beside, Marg broke him? He performed fine later in his two fight post-Marg. He was at least going toe to toe against Manny before Manny landing the big shots.

Yes, he's a damn fine fighter, but put him against guys can crack he will struggle. Unless he got a good gameplan and perform it well without fading.

Anyone know where someone outside the US can view/download the full fight?

Margarito would have stopped him again in the 2nd fight with one eye if they had let it go on. Probably not out cold though.

lmao you gotta be kidding me hahahahah

of course you do :rolleyes:
and would you take some points from cotto's win over martinez too , as he was old and ravaged by injuries ?
and if the first margarito doesn't count , why are we counting the second one ? wasn't margarito's eye permanently damaged after the pac bout ?

Roach on Cotto

“We had a great game plan. He followed it to a T,” Roach said of Cotto afterward. “He’s maybe one of the best students I’ve ever had. Thank you, Miguel, for making me look so good.”

Roach said Cotto’s control of the ring contributed to the victory.

“Ring generalship is pretty much a lost art in boxing and something that Eddie Futch, my trainer, really taught me well. It’s just something I taught Miguel,” Roach said. “We had him moving into the right hook all night long and it worked very well. He really gave the guy a boxing lesson. When I said we’d knock him out inside of four, I just wanted to get inside their heads a little bit. But the real game plan was to out-box this guy. I thought Miguel is a better boxer than Martinez.

“He [Martinez] moves with no plan of attack. He’s just trying to use his speed and he kind of like plays with his left hand, trying to get you to pull back so he can land the big overhand left, but we were well prepared for that, and it never happened.”

Later, he added: “I had the right guy this time that would follow the game plan. We did well.”

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=78729

lmao you gotta be kidding me hahahahah

Yea Cottos lucky they stopped it when they did because he would have faded again and been stopped a second time, this time with a one eyed Margo in NY.

Back