Law Coronavirus the US GOV'T Response analysis Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah. We'll see how they handle the actual outbreak as it goes, but nobody is going to be blaming the Trump administration for an economic downturn brought on by such an anomaly. It's nobodies fault. It just is what it is, and I believe most will recognize that.
lol Trump has already said the Coronavirus isn't responsible for the stock market's decline recently, but it's the result of the Democratic debates and potential investors are factoring in the possibility that a Dem might win the election....so essentially the stock market does good because of Trump, and it does bad because Trump might be replaced. Nothing else affects the stock market but Trump.

Generally I agree.

Unless citizens think that the US preparedness and steps taken were poor and lead to worse outcomes for citizens and the Markets.

It would have to get extremely terrible, and they'd have to bungle the response to a ridiculous degree. I don't see any evidence of that happening. The response has been generally appropriate, with travel bans being aggressively implemented as they try to figure everything out. That's all they can really do at this point.

I feel like it’s pretty simple: sticky a numbers/stats thread and make a single megathread for everything else CV related

They knew about the coronavirus over 2 months ago and the administration has yet to make concrete steps to address the issues other then rain tweets about the big bad democrats.

They've implemented travel bans to and from red flag countries. What exactly do you expect them to do at this point? Should Trump get in the lab and create a cure? Quarantine the whole country? What exactly have they done during this outbreak that is particularly offensive and irresponsible?

They've implemented travel bans to and from red flag countries. What exactly do you expect them to do at this point? Should Trump get in the lab and create a cure? Quarantine the whole country? What exactly have they done during this outbreak that is particularly offensive and irresponsible?
It's not that hard fund testing processes top scientists have been asking more funding for testing to limit the spread. Right now we have no accurate way to definitively test for the virus and it's even worst determining if it's still dormant. Bill Gates met with Anthony and Collins and said much more should be done towards developing vaccines to address the growing types of viral infections. This was nearly 3 years ago at the beginning of Trump's Presidency.What did he do he cut NIH funding the next 2 years because you know Obama increased NIH funding.

20141-Gates-by-ernie-branson-Lasker-EXLG.jpg

Trump's always undoing what Obama did because you know it was Obama who did it.

Bill Gates said he cannot fund it alone he needs the Government involvement as he pumped 100 million into the development of HIV treatments.

So OP lay out what the Trump administration SHOULD do. They are double screening and quarantining as of right now. Add on to that.

It's not that hard fund testing processes top scientists have been asking more funding for testing to limit the spread. Right now we have no accurate way to definitively test for the virus and it's even worst determining if it's still dormant. Bill Gates met with Anthony and Collins and said much more should be done towards developing vaccines to address the growing types of viral infections. This was nearly 3 years ago at the beginning of Trump's Presidency.What did he do he cut NIH funding the next 2 years because you know Obama increased NIH funding.

20141-Gates-by-ernie-branson-Lasker-EXLG.jpg

Trump's always undoing what Obama did because it was Obama who did it.

Bill Gates said he cannot fund it alone he needs the Government involvement as he pumped 100 million into the development of HIV treatments.

That's all well and good, but they're in the same position as every other country trying to come up with a vaccine for this shit. Their struggle is not a unique one, and you can't judge their response at this point in time. They're in the weeds like everyone else.

If they do manage to handle it relatively well, and get a vaccine out, we should expect an apology thread from you, correct? Surely you're not just complaining for the sake of complaining, right?

the point of critical analysis in real time is not who is deemed right or wrong in hindsight analysis when the facts come in.

Someone was not right or wrong to pose such questions because of how it plays out later.

Critical analysis and the discussion AT THE TIME, are a way for us to try and sift through stuff to get to facts or deteriantions. It is good and necessary even if in the end what one speculated on does not end up the way it went.

That MODS here are trying overtly to ensure no such discussions or analysis can take place on this forum is the problem. using your hindsight analysis 'what if it turns out they did bungle it and things are much worse then they otherwise would have been but we were never allowed to discuss it'.

Considering that they aren't handling the crisis in any negative manner as of yet, your critiques are baseless, and just amounts to vapid whining caused by TDS.

Last edited:
Rather the government and cdc had been proactive trying to screen everyone with flu like symptoms. Them not having a test ready when the WHO gave them kits over a month ago is embarrassing. Cats out of the bag now. Too late to try and contain it. Better hope it’s not as bad as everyone is making it seem.

That's all well and good, but they're in the same position as every other country trying to come up with a vaccine for this shit. Their struggle is not a unique one, and you can't judge their response at this point in time. They're in the weeds like everyone else.

If they do manage to handle it relatively well, and get a vaccine out, we should expect an apology thread from you, correct? Surely you're not just complaining for the sake of complaining, right?
Apology for what being 6 months late for testing? Under funding NIH by cutting research dollars? Even Republicans are saying in private what they are unwilling to say publicly they are concerned it's being miss handled.

Does anyone have solid links that state trump cut these essential programs that handle things like wide spread disease??

Madmick isn't a hard enough Trump supporter to ever exercise any meaningful bias in his favor on this forum.
I'm not a Trump supporter at all, and certainly not over almost any matters of public health or crisis handling (ex. EPA policies, global warming rhetoric, health policies governing the emergency treatment of contagious conditions in illegal migrants).

The funniest thing about this thread is that I didn't delete any posts from the Coronavirus threads. None. I had to peel through the thread to find anything that were deleted at all, then I tried to explain why the mods were who were cropping partisan bickering had deleted the few posts I could find deleted in the most recent version, and that our consensus as WR mods was to allow criticism of Trump outside unproductive derails. This poster is simply projecting a severe persecution complex onto me with his errant presumptions.

I did dump the AOC soundoff thread, @PEB, because we already have a thread devoted to AOC's comments/tweets, and there was already the main thread. It irritates me. It wasn't the first OP about the Coronavirus started outside the Coronavirus thread that I'd dumped or merged. The one by @Koro_11 about a North Korean who contracted the disease being shot was another recent example that got dumped. However, I was glad to merge it back into this thread to house all the partisan bickering and food-fighting over whose leaders are more incompetent or corrupt.

Having this thread as a depot to dump all the inanity suits me. Carry on.

That other thread if you pointed out that Pence was not a good choice somehow that became Trump bashing.
I still think Pence is a shitty choice and don't like how Pence has now become the gate keeper to any information. This style of leadership is going to bite them in the ass.
Now for the comedy.

The guy who pardoned a rapist who then guess what, raped again, is talking about Trump sucking 62 thousand people. For a supposed Man of God, Huckabee is kinky. That is a lot of sucking he is imagining the President doing.

The US Surgeon General says to STOP BUYING FACE MASKS, because it won't protect you !

He then goes on to say that the public buying the masks creates shortages for health-care workers, who need the masks if and when a widespread outbreak happens.

So let me get this straight, the N95 masks won't lower the risk of infection for the general public but it will greatly mitigate the risk to health-care workers. Clearly the mask has A.I. built into it, since it can decide who it chooses to protect.

"Seriously people - STOP BUYING MASKS!" Surgeon General Jerome Adams tweeted. "They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus, but if healthcare providers can’t get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/seriously-people-stop-buying-masks-170148731.html

So any criticism of the Trump admin is banned, even though it pertains to a major ongoing issue . In the other Virus thread, the main one, how China and other countries are responding to the Virus can be discussed but bring up the US government's response and you get Trumpers throwing screaming "TDS" .

How very CCP of you Trumpers.

The US Surgeon General says to STOP BUYING FACE MASKS, because it won't protect you !

He then goes on to say that the public buying the masks creates shortages for health-care workers, who need the masks if and when a widespread outbreak happens.

So let me get this straight, the N95 masks won't lower the risk of infection for the general public but it will greatly mitigate the risk to health-care workers. Clearly the mask has A.I. built into it, since it can decide who it chooses to protect.

"Seriously people - STOP BUYING MASKS!" Surgeon General Jerome Adams tweeted. "They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus, but if healthcare providers can’t get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!"

The message may be muddy, but it's about priority. If the public are causing shortages of these masks for hospitals whose workers are operating in a contaminated environment, that is a bit of a problem.

My only real question is, how hard is it to make these masks, and how is there possibly a shortage? These masks are running out everywhere. How hard is it to throw some pieces of cloth together? There's no smartphone shortage, and those are just a tad more sophisticated than some cloth masks, and are replaced at almost the same rate as these masks are.

So any criticism of the Trump admin is banned

Obviously not, and that's a hilarious notion on it's face. This forum is fairly well balanced, and Trump criticism is certainly not censored by any stretch of the imagination. If it was, you certainly would not be allowed to post here.

Also, this thread was not even dumped, so quit crying already.

The message may be muddy, but it's about priority. If the public are causing shortages of these masks for hospitals whose workers are operating in a contaminated environment, that is a bit of a problem.

My only real question is, how hard is it to make these masks, and how is there possibly a shortage? These masks are running out everywhere. How hard is it to throw some pieces of cloth together? There's no smartphone shortage, and those are just a tad more sophisticated than some cloth masks, and are replaced at almost the same rate as these masks are.
My issue is with the Surgeon General saying it won't protect the public. That comes across as a lie at worst and disingenuous at best.

People wearing the masks (properly fitted) also means more people protected, which means less people infected , which means less people putting stress on 1st responders and the Health-Care industry.

Do you not have any critical thinking skills? DONT buy them if you are a healthy individual. There is a mass shortage of them because people who will never need them are hoarding them, stopping health care workers and people close to outbreaks from buying them. Try to actually think before you post.

People wearing the masks (properly fitted) also means more people protected, which means less people infected

Theoretically. There are also millions of people wearing them, who don't actually need to. They don't even know how this fucker spreads yet.

In general though, there really shouldn't be a shortage at all. For the public, or the health workers. This should not be an issue for anyone. They're just some pieces of cloth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back