Cormier: I have mental edge over Gustaffson

Easy to say when you dont actually fight, you just wall and stall like his training partner, Mr pillow hands.

Even if Cormier has better chin, what does it matter? Cormier doesnt hit nearly as hard as Rumble so Cormier winning by tko/KO is very unlikely. Unless Gus has lost his ability to take punishment somehow.

You mean he doesn't head butt as well as Rumble.

Sorry, but DC is likely going to take this one. I like Gus and think he brought something unique to JJ(good striking and great reach), but he has nothing for DC. Gus doesn't have that wrestling base that JJ had to stave off DC's takedowns, and I don't believe that Gus is going to be prepared for DC's style of takedowns.

JJ's most potent weapon in his wrestling game is his leverage advantage. You see it repeatedly in all of his fights, he can use it to both keep people at a distance and grab them when any other fighter would not find a solid grip. He also uses it set up those vicious elbows.
jon-jones-shogun-takedown-ufc-128.gif

sFw4j9U.jpg

DC's wrestling is a bit different - he utilizes his core and raw strength to power through most of his takedowns. His technique is very good, but the style is fundamentally different from JJ in that he doesn't rely so much on leverage(and honestly, he can't with his build).
2wifqty.gif

cormier_hendo_ragdoll.gif

I don't think Gus has an adequate defense against DC's style of wrestling. And that's essentially why I don't think Gus is going to be able to deal with DC.

Last edited:
Well, its a different scenario here. Cormier has moving away and saw the punch coming, Gus was moving right in on the punch and didnt expect it as much. Gus's chin is rock solid, the shot didnt KO him he just dropped down to one knee and got up but he was rocked. Both guys got knocked down, difference was the follow up.

Gus also took quite a few heavy shots before he went back down again, too. Then he ate some serious bombs on the mat and still didn't go out, but was fucked right up and wasn't intelligently defending himself.

Gus has an unbelievable chin. Those shots he took from Rumble would've put out pretty much anybody in the division, Cormier included. Cormier simply did a better job at defending himself than Gus did. If he took the same shots Gus did, Rumble would probably be the champion right now.

I won't say it's because Cormier's chin is better, I think he just defended himself better. Gus did a poor job defending himself after he was hurt and the shot he took, he basically stepped right into it, whereas Cormier was moving away, as you already mentioned. That alone is a big difference.

DC has a hell of a skill set and a champion's mentality. I think that he'll beat Gus and everyone is wrong about counting him out vs Jones - Cormier can absolutely win the rematch if he makes the right adjustments.

Guys in this thread seem to think there is no difference between HW Cormier's take downs, and LHW Cormier's take downs. It's amusing that they keep comparing the two. :icon_chee

Guys in this thread seem to think there is no difference between HW Cormier's take downs, and LHW Cormier's take downs. It's amusing that they keep comparing the two. :icon_chee

There is fundamentally no difference in his technique.

But as we both know, it's not just technique involved.

Exactly what are you suggesting?

DC routinely fought guys who were much heavier than him at HW. This is not the case at LHW - if anything, come fight time, he has a greater size advantage(or, I should say, less of a disadvantage) than he did at HW.

Last edited:
Ok, we get it! You dont like Gus and have something personal against him.

Speaking of crying, how many times did Cormier cry??? Wasnt there the story of him

Anything else you wanna say??

the rest was tl,dr but

7kYa0L.gif

As a Conor fan, I don't like Gus. Never have. Try again.

lol u exited the bandwagon quick eh. good. hope your ronda rousey avatar is ready for when Aldo KOs McGregor.

Most Americans think they have a mental edge against any foreigner except Brits.

I'm going with the upset. For some reason, I think Gus will pull this off and fight smarter than he did when he fought Rumble. He was too damn cocky going into that fight with Rumble and paid for it.

lol u exited the bandwagon quick eh. good. hope your ronda rousey avatar is ready for when Aldo KOs McGregor.

McGregor will finish Aldo. Also, I don't like Ronda Rousey. Never liked Gus either. Check the post history bub. Nice try. :)

Gus also took quite a few heavy shots before he went back down again, too. Then he ate some serious bombs on the mat and still didn't go out, but was fucked right up and wasn't intelligently defending himself.

Gus has an unbelievable chin. Those shots he took from Rumble would've put out pretty much anybody in the division, Cormier included. Cormier simply did a better job at defending himself than Gus did. If he took the same shots Gus did, Rumble would probably be the champion right now.

I won't say it's because Cormier's chin is better, I think he just defended himself better. Gus did a poor job defending himself after he was hurt and the shot he took, he basically stepped right into it, whereas Cormier was moving away, as you already mentioned. That alone is a big difference.

Yah and it came down to Cormier using his clinch and wrestling when he was in danger which moved away from Rumbles strength and neutralized the standup. Gus resorted to his strength with his striking, but unfortunately that played right into Rumbles.

the rest was tl,dr but

7kYa0L.gif

And that's the best you can come up with?? Can't defend Cormier on this one?

Btw, I dont believe neither one of those two are quitters or dont have heart, both Cormier and Gus do. I was playing devils advocate with Cormier to show you there are circumstances where any fighter can show weakness and break at this level.

But I guess by your standards guys like GSP dont have any heart either cause he got TKOd in a very similar way and backs up when he's rocked

Back