Cormier: I have mental edge over Gustaffson

He can't finish Cormier with punches and he can't take him down. Wtf is he going to do? He has no way to win the fight except to grind out a 5 round UD, which is Cormiers game.

Member since 2009 and still making claims like that. Some never learn, huh.

Well, it's not like DC's own mental strenght and stability isn't in question, you'd have to point out. I give Gustaffson a good chance in this fight.

Can see both men having upper hands mentally. Cormier knowing how good Jones is and how much worse he did against him than Gus, and Gus knowing his mental game was not strong in his last fight, both prior and after.

I have heard second hand that his mental state was not good at all before his last fight with the insane amount of pressure. I've also heard that he's in a lot better place now. He seems to perform very well when he's largely counted out, i.e when the pressure is not as prevalent. Time will tell. Hopefully he can get his head together when he's under pressure as well. He pretty much had the weight of Sweden on his shoulders for his last one. Can't be easy.

Yah and it came down to Cormier using his clinch and wrestling when he was in danger which moved away from Rumbles strength and neutralized the standup. Gus resorted to his strength with his striking, but unfortunately that played right into Rumbles.

Exactly.

Cormier defended himself better because he didn't choose to stand back up and throw with Rumble, he played it smart. He went straight to his wrestling and that's the smartest thing he could've done.

Like what Nick Diaz said about Sanchez/Riggs - he said what Riggs did was really stupid and he was right. Riggs got hurt from Sanchez and he immediately tried to stand up and when he did, he ate a knee and went down again.

That's why Nick said whenever he gets hit really hard and gets dizzy, he goes to his back, or if he gets dropped from it, he stays on the mat because he can defend himself from shots better there than he would on the feet. It's safer to do that and tie your opponent up than to stand back up and let them swarm you on the feet or try to throw back with them on the feet. It's just not smart.

Gus may have survived if he went to his back and let Rumble into his guard. He could've looked to tie him up and do whatever he could to take away Rumble's best shots. It's better to do that than to stand back up and try throwing punches back, or getting cut off at the fence and letting them tee off on your or something. Nick plays it very smart when he gets hurt and it's not just because of his chin that he survives, it's because he's smart with defending himself.

Cormier simply just played it smarter than Gustafsson did. Gustafsson made a huge mistake by trying to stand and keep it there instead of going to his back and trying to tie Rumble up. Hell, maybe Gus could've at least tried to clinch on the feet and put Rumble against the fence or shoot for some TD's or something, it's better than throwing back and trying to slip punches and such when you're already hurt badly.

/rant

Gustafsson has traditionally struggled against athletic and explosive fighters, my gut says Cormier may be slightly athletic due to skin tone, but he lacks explosiveness. If you listen to his vernacular he sounds down right uncle Tommish at times. Also to take into consideration is the fact that Cormier's BFF was recently dismantled by Werdum, why is this important? Because, statistics show that if you watch your BFF get dismantled in a fight preceding your own (specifically a title fight), the odds are not in your favor... just ask Pettis or Nick Diaz. One more thing to take into consideration, older fighters after losing to Jon Jones have all hyper aged to an extent unseen in modern MMA. Notable fighters who have severely aged and declined after losing to Jones: Bonnar, Mushytenko, Rampage, Machida, Shogun, Evans, Belfort, Hammil, Texiera, Sonnen, ect...

Cormier: "Do you think I would just let you kill me Jon"? Result was that Jon nearly killed and modestly mauled Cormier during their UFC 182 bout, this was a huge credibility hit for Cormier. Daniel is you remember previous to that fight was undefeated and had the mystique of being the best MMA wrestler we had seen in years (black Fedor). This fight is really a toss up, specifically when you look at all of the important factors and clues listed above, these are things that Vegas looks at prior to factoring odds for a fight.

I'm picking Jon Jones as the winner... This is pure silliness and LHW just needs to take a hiatus until the real champ gets back to fighting.

Last edited:
DC is the most perfect example of a paper champ I have ever seen in the UFC. He's basically the reason a term like that was created.

wasnt DC crying at the post presser? yes you have the mental edge Dc... no rly you do....

You don't quit after you get beat. You pick yourself up and you start rebuilding to accomplish your goals."

It's easier if the champion who beat you gets sidelined because of being stupid and you can fight another guy to become champion.

I'll be proven right when they fight.

No you won't. The fight will play out as one possible outcome out of pretty much an endless amount of other possible outcomes outcomes. Seeing one fight that you predicted correctly doesn't mean it'd go that way each and every time. Extremely small differences make the biggest differences in the fightgame. I'm surprised you haven't learned that yet.

No you won't. The fight will play out as one possible outcome out of pretty much an endless amount of other possible outcomes outcomes. Seeing one fight that you predicted correctly doesn't mean it'd go that way each and every time. Extremely small differences make the biggest differences in the fightgame. I'm surprised you haven't learned that yet.

If I'm right, i'm right, you're reaching here and getting into some pretty silly territory. "Even if you're right you're wrong" kinda stuff.

Even if Cormier has better chin, what does it matter? Cormier doesnt hit nearly as hard as Rumble so Cormier winning by tko/KO is very unlikely. Unless Gus has lost his ability to take punishment somehow.

If DC can finish TRT Bigfoot on the feet, he can do the same to Gus.

And that's the best you can come up with?? Can't defend Cormier on this one?

Btw, I dont believe neither one of those two are quitters or dont have heart, both Cormier and Gus do. I was playing devils advocate with Cormier to show you there are circumstances where any fighter can show weakness and break at this level.

But I guess by your standards guys like GSP dont have any heart either cause he got TKOd in a very similar way and backs up when he's rocked

I felt really bad for Gus in this fight.
This had to suck.
These fighters are brave men.

If I'm right, i'm right, you're reaching here and getting into some pretty silly territory. "Even if you're right you're wrong" kinda stuff.

You said Gus' only chance is to win a decision. That's beyond silly and someone with what I assume is more experience than your average casual fan shouldn't make those silly statements.

Saying "he can't (t)ko/submit him" and then the fight going that way doesn't prove that he can't (t)ko/submit him, it proves that outcome didn't happen that particular time. It wouldn't make that statement correct. Do you follow?

I'm going with the upset. For some reason, I think Gus will pull this off and fight smarter than he did when he fought Rumble. He was too damn cocky going into that fight with Rumble and paid for it.
Yup, I also got the feeling that he was a bit too confident for his own good. It seems like he wants to go back to the roots now, and be that quiet guy he was in the beginning of his career. He posted this on his FB page:

"This is how I want to prepare myself for my upcoming fight.
And believe me, I am really working!

11855635_890238214389319_8822531656114358941_n.png
"

Also, while DC is trying to start these mind games, Alex is in Chechnya right now for some wrestling with the Sambo guys over there. I don't know if he's ever taken his training THIS serious before. It's not like he was lazy before or anything, he's just taking it to another level this time.

I didn't think he was there mentally after the Rumble fight either, but he's been proving us doubters wrong now. He's definitely hungry for a cage fight again, and it looks like he's working his ass off to do much better than last time around.

You said Gus' only chance is to win a decision. That's beyond silly and someone with what I assume is more experience than your average casual fan shouldn't make those silly statements.

Saying "he can't (t)ko/submit him" and then the fight going that way doesn't prove that he can't (t)ko/submit him, it proves that outcome didn't happen that particular time. It wouldn't make that statement correct. Do you follow?

See, this is what I meant when I said you're reaching. Of course he "can" knock him out, he could get a baseball bat and bash him in the face or submit him with a damn sword. I meant it in the context of this thread, this forum, this conversation, this upcoming fight, etc etc etc, none of which I should have to specify if I'm dealing with a reasonably competent english-speaker who is literate.

Back