• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Controversy over ESPN article on Jokic that some label racist

I called steve nash the great white hope.
then it was dirk.
now its jokic and luka

chubby serb rise

You forgot Mac McLung.

2023 NBA Dunk Contest Champion at just 6'2"

1630644.png

(no, I'm not kidding)

Some people definitely are having a hard time coping with the fact that a white boy is the best player in the NBA.

Many would say 2 of the best 4 right now.

c7815457-Nikola-Jokic.jpg

Joel-Embiid-6.jpg

UBKYA3QPLZGSTORS5C6UUBTQYY.jpg

giannis-antetokounmpo-reacts.jpg

To show how racist all this coverage is, consider the fact not one of those four men are Americans.

That's the REAL story, the top 4 in a US sport aren't from the US and shows both the game is truly international now and foreign players need to be taken seriously in drafts. But we have to keep it Black & White for the masses. Can't deviate from the script.

There are stories of Bird being upset he was being guarded by 'white' players who he thought were below his level.

Bird was one of the very few players who could talk shit to you and then come out and back it up and there was nothing you could do about it.

One game Bird came out and shot almost entirely with his left arm to save his dominant arm for the following game.

The reason Jokic is not more popular is that he has relatively low 'athleticism' and he's more European so his personality doesn't come through as much. But I respect his work ethic, skill set and sportsmanship. He's also a humble down to earth guy. Some of his triple doubles are a bit watered down after Westbrook made them almost irrelevant. However unlike Westbrook, Jokic has wins to back up his stats and no one was blocking off rebounds for him like Adams for Westbrook.

Article is well written and thoughtful.

I don’t find it to be race baiting, just a perspective from a black person who has thought about basketball through the lens of racism.

He’s got a right to do that, part of free speech you know. He makes points that are undeniable - the great white hype is real.

There may be some racial undertones to his own writing , but it’s not anything to cancel the dude over.

Jokic is exceptional and he does things no one else has done. So it’s not unreasonable to discuss his potential in the top 20 or even to 15.

We found one.

Well …for a “ pretty good for a while boy..only “ player , Joler sure puts it on the athletic , explosive individuals . Good thing , they’re probably just letting him score , rebound and assist on them , cause he’s a white boy and they feel sorry for him . They could shut him down to 0/0/0 if they wanted to explode athletically on him . Yep . Totally .

Jokic is the best I have ever seen at the actual game of basketball, he has some limitations physically that other greats didn't have. He isn't the most athletic or the best defensively but he can play well enough on that end with his level of coordination, reaction time, IQ.

Offensively he is easily the most skilled I have ever seen, best passer, one of the highest IQ's, some of the best foot work, unbelievable touch combined with his size, ability to get his shot off anywhere on the court and he can make plays with his size that others just can't.

Jokic is already top 20 all time.

I have been given shit for the last couple of years for saying he deserved his MVP's and he was carrying one of the worst teams in the league. He got Murray back healthy, Porter Jr healthy, added Bruce Brown and KCP and he won a title. When he had his second leading scorer as Will Barton he still won 48 games and made the playoffs.

white boys will dominate all sports once they're poor enough.

Some people definitely are having a hard time coping with the fact that a white boy is the best player in the NBA.
pudgy looking white guy. I dont really follow the nba, but I did noticed that awkward guy taking out my home team lakers, and it caused a bit of noise. watching him play is like the sweet science, but in basketball form. he is good

Yikes. From the article:

So if you challenge an incorrect stance, you're proving it right. Just lmao. This guy is a hack.
LOL, things got pretty heated earlier this year when JJ Reddick called out Kendrick for what was his obvious racism in denying that Jokic was a clear frontrunner worthy of the hype at the time. Reddick tried educating Perkins, but stubborn is as stubborn does. When you look at advanced stats, and the most meaningful stats, like raw plus-minus, it becomes obvious that there were a lot of voters on the panel harboring Perkin's latent, racial animus who let it sway their voting. Clearly they can't stand the idea of a white guy racking up recording-setting numbers of MVPs, and they can already see that possibility unfolding as the future continues to look bright for Jokic. I never believed in the guy, I've never thought games based around slow skill-reliant European white guys are well suited to succeed in the NBA come the postseason, but after this year, it's impossible to deny Jokic has what it takes.

2022-23: Jokic vs. Embiid

Raw Stats
#25 (24.5) vs. #1 (33.1) Points per game
#3 (11.8) vs. #10 (10.2) Rebounds per game
#4 (9.8) vs. #76 (4.2) Assists per game
#78 (0.7) vs. #8 (1.7) Blocks per game
#36 (1.3) vs. #80 (1.0) Steals per game
#4 (3.6) vs. #6 (3.4) Turnovers per game

Advanced Stats
#1 (70.1%) vs. #14 (65.5%) True Shooting Percentage
#5 (41.2%) vs. #83 (23.3%) Assist Percentage
#6 (20.2%) vs. #21 (17.3%) Rebound Percentage
#1 (31.5) vs. #2 (31.4) PER [Player Efficiency Rating]
#1 (38.0) vs. #2 (35.9) EFF [NBA.com Efficiency Rating]
#1 (8.8) vs. #3 (6.4) VORP [Value Over Replacement Player]
#2 (21.3) vs. #1 (21.4) PIE [Player Impact Estimate]
#1 (+9.3) vs. #8 (+6.4) On Floor per game +/- [Raw Plus-Minus]
#1 (13.0) vs. #2 (9.2) BPM [Box Plus-Minus]
#4 (7.39) vs. #1 (10.46) RPM [Real Plus-Minus]
#2 (3.62) vs. #6 (3.13) RAPM [Regularized Adjusted Plus-Minus]
#1 (7.9) vs #2 (7.3) EPM [Estimated Plus-Minus]
#1 (7.1) vs. #2 (5.5) DPM [Daily Plus-Minus]
#3 (12.5) vs. #14 (8.8) NETRtg [Net Rating]
#1 (7.31) vs. #3 (5.86) LEBRON [Luck-adjusted player Estimate using a Box prior Regularized ON-off]
#1 (13.2) vs. #2 (7.8) RAPTOR [Robust tracking using Advanced Player Tracking & On-off Rating]
#1 (14.9) vs. #3 (12.3) Win Shares

Win-Loss
#4 NBA Record, #1 W. Conf (53-29) vs. #3 NBA Record, #3 E. Conf (54-28)

Of course, Embiid went on to choke in the playoffs while Jokic had one of the most impressive FMVP runs we've ever seen en route to claiming the Larry O'Brien.

There are stories of Bird being upset he was being guarded by 'white' players who he thought were below his level.

Bird was one of the very few players who could talk shit to you and then come out and back it up and there was nothing you could do about it.

One game Bird came out and shot almost entirely with his left arm to save his dominant arm for the following game.

The reason Jokic is not more popular is that he has relatively low 'athleticism' and he's more European so his personality doesn't come through as much. But I respect his work ethic, skill set and sportsmanship. He's also a humble down to earth guy. Some of his triple doubles are a bit watered down after Westbrook made them almost irrelevant. However unlike Westbrook, Jokic has wins to back up his stats and no one was blocking off rebounds for him like Adams for Westbrook.

How did Westbrook make triple doubles irrelevant?

I wasn't surprised by the racist article that one of ESPN author.
Had posted earlier this week.

What i am surprised off is how ESPN is actually tolerating it.
Balkan Slavs and Slavs in general are actually minorities.

The fact that this went with their approval to pose the racist article.
There are many sites talking about this even MMA ones.

This is another reason i can not stand ESPN.

Controversy over ESPN article on Jokic that some label racist

https://andscape.com/features/denver-nuggets-center-nikola-jokic-has-time-before-of-all-time/

“When he was voted NBA MVP for two consecutive seasons, my antenna went up, a reaction that happens when a white player excels in a sport dominated by Black athletes. This typically results in the sports media reacting with gushing praise.”

I think there are many fields where the opposite occurs too, ie a black whiz kid who excels in computer science at MIT will have 100x the opportunity of an Asian kid of the same level.
Which is totally ok!

However, we should try to be honest and balanced about things, and I don’t find Rhoden to be so.

He is going to be upset for years because the way Jokic plays means he likely won't get hurt the way he plays so he will be on top for years.

Yep, can't be that Jokic is just that good. Obviously whites aren't allowed to be good at basketball.

This is coming from a lifelong Bucks fan who absolutely loves Giannis.

Jokic was notch better this season. I hate to say it but it's true and Giannis could have won the MVP for about 4 years in a row
Vagiannis is an CAN. Cant shoot for shit. Would be water boy in any other BB era

If you're claiming Jokic is pushed because of his race clearly you yourself are the racist. Dude is one of the best basketball players ever, and does it with the athleticism of a sloth. Already a Top 20 all time player easily.

https://andscape.com/features/denver-nuggets-center-nikola-jokic-has-time-before-of-all-time/

“When he was voted NBA MVP for two consecutive seasons, my antenna went up, a reaction that happens when a white player excels in a sport dominated by Black athletes. This typically results in the sports media reacting with gushing praise.”

I think there are many fields where the opposite occurs too, ie a black whiz kid who excels in computer science at MIT will have 100x the opportunity of an Asian kid of the same level.
Which is totally ok!

However, we should try to be honest and balanced about things, and I don’t find Rhoden to be so.

Remember the kid who... BUILT HIS OWN COMPUTER!!?!?!?!? WHAT?!?!?!

https://www.newhamrecorder.co.uk/ne...-reach-primary-school-computer-wiz-builds-pc/

Lmao. This one seems to be have been largely scrubbed from the internet once the journalists all got roasted. It's only on this local news page now.

Back