Media Conor standing among A level athletes

Well that isn't true. They had more experience teaching martial arts, but none of them fought in the sense of you are talking about. For example, Ken Shamrock had never thrown a punch, in a fight that wasn't a street fight, in his entire life. Zane Frazier, a karate guy, followed standard karate tournament rules that isn't fighting in the sense you mean it to be. Sumo, the same. Taekwondo, the same.

The most experienced actual fighter on the card was, ironically, the boxer Art Jimmerson.

It is true.

Shamrock was an outstanding grappler. As was Royce. Jimmerson was an ex-professional boxer. Savate fighters etc.

It doesn’t really matter what you think of them. The guys I’ve mentioned have infinitely more combat sports experience than Chára.

I’m happy to stand corrected here. If you can provide me with ANY evidence of Chára fighting a trained fighter, or anyone that isn’t just another hockey player, it would be more than I’ve had in response so far.

Agree to disagree mate.

Don't get too worked up about it!

Fine with me, but as you can see nobody can provide one shred of evidence to support the idea that Chára would win.

I’m not even trying to be obtuse when I ask for it. When this question was asked I had no idea who Chara was and assumed he was a big guy with a solid combat sports background. That would’ve been a more interesting question.

Truly, hockey is the sport of gods.

f7FdEdG_d.jpg

2018-nhl-stanley-cup-final-game-five2.jpeg

It is true.

Shamrock was an outstanding grappler. As was Royce. Jimmerson was an ex-professional boxer. Savate fighters etc.

It doesn’t really matter what you think of them. The guys I’ve mentioned have infinitely more combat sports experience than Chára.

I’m happy to stand corrected here. If you can provide me with ANY evidence of Chára fighting a trained fighter, or anyone that isn’t just another hockey player, it would be more than I’ve had in response so far.
Guy, my stance was simple. Nobody on UFC 1 was an actual fighter until the card was finished. They did karate, sumo, judo, taekwondo, whatever tournaments but that isn't fighting in the same sense mixed martial arts is fighting. They had no experience and none of them were professionals. They made money teaching classes to kids.

Guy, my stance was simple. Nobody on UFC 1 was an actual fighter until the card was finished. They did karate, sumo, judo, taekwondo, whatever tournaments but that isn't fighting in the same sense mixed martial arts is fighting. They had no experience.

MMA, particularly at the very inception of the concept, wasn’t modern MMA as you know it now.

It was very much style vs style. Guys like Shamrock, Gracie, jimmerson were extremely experienced in the component arts that form modern MMA.

To say an untrained hockey player has that level of experience, or anything close to it, is plainly false.

If you seriously think two sportsmen, neither of whom have any combat sports experience, throwing sloppy punches at one another while frantically tugging at the other jersey, equates to professional fight experience, then you have no idea what you’re watching.
This, but also, they're on skates, on ice, which maybe you don't think is a big deal if you have no fucking idea about the body mechanics of punching or fighting in general, but... it is a big deal.

Fighting on skates bears practically no resemblance to real fighting, and experience of it offers very little if any advantage. You literally can't punch properly when "fighting" in hockey, and footwork, one of the most, if not the most, important things in fighting is non-existent. And the list goes on.

But it's cute that hockey players (and hockey fans) think their """enforcers""" (lmfao) are tough, bad ass fighters because they do some drunken brawling on ice.

This, but also, they're on skates, on ice, which maybe you don't think is a big deal if you have no fucking idea about the body mechanics of punching or fighting in general, but... it is a big deal.

Fighting on skates bears practically no resemblance to real fighting, and experience of it offers very little if any advantage. You literally can't punch properly when "fighting" in hockey, and footwork, one of the most, if not the most, important things in fighting is non-existent. And the list goes on.

But it's cute that hockey players (and hockey fans) think their """enforcers""" (lmfao) are tough, bad ass fighters because they do some drunken brawling on ice.

If this fight was to take place on ice in skates then I’ve no doubt Chara would. That’s how much of a leveller it would be.

Unless McGregor’s dad owned a pair of ice skates. If that’s the case then he can probably skate really well and all bets are off.

If this fight was to take place on ice in skates then I’ve no doubt Chara would. That’s how much of a leveller it would be.

Unless McGregor’s dad owned a pair of ice skates. If that’s the case then he can probably skate really well and all bets are off.
If Conor had to keep skating then yeah, Chara would probably win. I say probably because I've seen him punch....

And you're right, we can never disregard the possibility of Conor being a genetic ice skater thanks to his dad.

Just LOL at this "elite athlete enforcer" fighting. Legitimately, no joke, bears an uncanny resemblance to two life-time alcoholics who've been drunk for the past 30 years going at it at 4 in the morning. What a fucking joke. They even end it the same way: "wait, nobody's coming to stop us? Uhm, I'm getting kind of tired after 15 seconds of sloppy arm punches, uhm, let's just hang onto each other, I ALMOST got a sore cheek, thankfully not quite, so this is a good time to call it."

Such tough warriors.

Imagine thinking professional 6'2-6'9 250-350lb professional athletes, that play sports that are extremely physical, are going to struggle against a 5'9 170lb professional fighter. Conor is a very small dude. Any NFL offensive or defensive line man would kick Conor's ass. Any NHL enforcer would kick Conor's ass. They spend their entire professional lives wrestling with cleats and skates on. They give and take concussions on a daily basis. They aren't playing darts. They injury other human beings for a living.

Some of you guys live in a dream world where giant human beings trained to tackle and slam each other are less scary than they actually are just because they wear helmets, but glorify the tiny professional fighter just because he's knocking out other 5'7 160lb athletes.

Do you same people have the same high standards for the millions of 5'5 professional muay thai fighters? Would they come over and destroy every professional athlete that comes their way?

Last edited:
If Conor had to keep skating then yeah, Chara would probably win. I say probably because I've seen him punch....

And you're right, we can never disregard the possibility of Conor being a genetic ice skater thanks to his dad.

Just LOL at this "elite athlete enforcer" fighting. Legitimately, no joke, bears an uncanny resemblance to two life-time alcoholics who've been drunk for the past 30 years going at it at 4 in the morning. What a fucking joke. They even end it the same way: "wait, nobody's coming to stop us? Uhm, I'm getting kind of tired after 15 seconds of sloppy arm punches, uhm, let's just hang onto each other, I ALMOST got a sore cheek, thankfully not quite, so this is a good time to call it."

Such tough warriors.

It shows an astonishing lack of understanding of the very sport we’re all for. An almost comical lack of appreciation of the skills that are on display by the guys at the top of the UFC.

And those ‘fights’ <45> people here are actually equating that with MacDonald va Lawlor or Gatti vs Ward. It is legitimately the level of ‘fighting my I could see in any town centre in the UK at 3am outside of a kebab house or McDonald’s.

Hockey players are more complete athletes than pretty much any other sport you care to offer up.
LMAO help me laugh. Hockey players are nowhere near athletic than anyone, let alone any other sports.

Hockey is the least Athletic sport of all sports. Nothing athletic about skating on ice trying to hit a hockey puck. LMAO

Imagine thinking professional 6'2-6'9 250-350lb professional athletes, that play sports that are extremely physical, are going to struggle against a 5'9 170lb professional fighter. Conor is a very small dude. Any NFL offensive or defensive line man would kick Conor's ass. Any NHL enforcer would kick Conor's ass. They spend their entire professional lives wrestling with cleats and skates on. They give and take concussions on a daily basis. They aren't playing darts. They injury other human beings for a living.

Some of you guys live in a dream world where giant human beings trained to tackle and slam each other are less scary than they actually are just because they wear helmets, but glorify the tiny professional fighter just because he's knocking out other 5'7 160lb athletes.

The bolded just highlights that you have absolutely no idea what wrestling is.

To equate it to two guys simply holding onto each other’s jerseys is comical <45>

It shows an astonishing lack of understanding of the very sport we’re all for. An almost comical lack of appreciation of the skills that are on display by the guys at the top of the UFC.

And those ‘fights’ <45> people here are actually equating that with MacDonald va Lawlor or Gatti vs Ward. It is legitimately the level of ‘fighting my I could see in any town centre in the UK at 3am outside of a kebab house or McDonald’s.
The guy above your post actually unironically said that Couture "literally" made a career out of fighting like the people in that clip. Makes you wonder what people think they're seeing when they watch MMA...

But then again, I never could understand couch potato fans who are very excited about their sport of choice, but don't train themselves. Unless they're paralyzed or something, then it makes sense.

The actual irony is I probably have more submission grappling experience.

Nobody is saying Conor cannot beat hockey players in a fight. We are saying Conor would not beat 6'9" 250 pound Zdeno Chara. Chara is a freak of nature.

boston_chara_300.jpg

Lump of a dude? Chara is a lean and mean 6'9" and 250 pounds.

boston_chara_300.jpg
Ive seen you post that pic atleast 10 times, the shadows conveniently hide his skinny toothpick legs which dont make much of a difference on ice, but on land it would.
250 at 6”9 is skinny thin framed

Greg Hardy & Bob Sapp proved that Combat Sports are the biggest joke.

In case you weren't following, I already pointed out that some slob knocked BJ out cold.
Notbody is claiming fighters to be invincible, he sucker puncher bj with his hands down, then concussed bj came back and completely controlled the guy on the ground who outweighed him by atleast 70lbs..doesn’t really prove your point especially considering bj is wayyy over the hill

Do you same people have the same high standards for the millions of 5'5 professional muay thai fighters? Would they come over and destroy every professional athlete that comes their way?
Just like how roger 5”7 lightweight got his ass kicked by that linebacker who out weighed him by 80lbs

Back