Conor and his low carb diet

While i agree that carbs are superior for active athletes, meat does not cause any bloating. Go on a pure meat diet for a week on maintenance calories and you will lose 3-7 lbs of water. It does the opposite of bloating actually.

Meat is proven to be the hardest thing possible to digest. A steak stays rotting in your digestive tract up to two days.

From my understanding he eats a lot of red meat and very little carbs. For the nutriton experts out there what are the pros and cons of this kind of diet for MMA fighters? I know Conor is known for having bad cardio and looking gassed after hitting the pads for a couple of minutes. I know genetics play a role but it seems kind of weird for somebody that preaches "timing beats speed and precision beats power" to gas out as quick as he does. Somebody else that is noted for having a meat heavy and low carb diet + shit cardio is Joe Rogan. I've seen people talking like it's impossible to train hard while being on low carbs and also mention how gassed Joe looks after hitting pads for like 30 seconds.

So... What are the benefits of low carb diets for MMA? Has Conor been watching too many Joe Rogan podcasts or are there benefits to it?
Sounds like what fucked Brock up

Does this new low carb diet make your cardio better? :)

Youre not too far off but its not quite that drastic if youve been on it for several months. The body becomes efficient at creating its own glucose. However, it isnt optimal for endurance athletes by any means. You need carbs for high performance
First of all, Conor is not an endurance athlete and MMA is not an "endurance sport". MMA is a high intensity exercise sport requiring bursts of very high effort, endurance sports are sutff like long distance running, cycling, swimming, triathlon and so on.

Secondly, "low carb" (i.e. low carb high fat) diets in general are not better than high carb ones for endurance athletes, they are not worse. There is only one case where low carb diet actually shows an improvement in performance: low intensity cycling. Couple this fact with some health benefits of a low carb diet and you will understand why some endurance athletes may opt to try them - because their performance remains mostly unaffected.

Here's a good article that explains everything referencing a good number of research papers:
https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/low-vs-high-carbohydrate-diet-endurance/

So, as I've said earlier, as an armchair nutritionist the only athlete I would not prohibit to go on a low carb (+high fat) diet is an endurance athlete. A low carb diet would not prevent Conor from having good cardio per se, but his muscles would not be able to work under high intensity conditions (something that is common in MMA) as well as they would be able to with refilled glycogen stores.

Marathon runners use carbs as their fuel.
Thy can use carbs or they can switch to low carb high fat diet and suffer no performance loss.

Thy can use carbs or they can switch to low carb high fat diet and suffer no performance loss.

Fat is an incredibly bad source of fuel to access for the body...Unless you are an inuit living in the ice cold all year, it's just not an efficient diet. BRB drinking olive oil or eating butter all day as fuel lmao...Good way to destroy body.

Fat is an incredibly bad source of fuel to access for the body...Unless you are an inuit living in the ice cold all year, it's just not an efficient diet. BRB drinking olive oil or eating butter all day as fuel lmao...Good way to destroy body.
Dude, you can throw broscience at me or you can go read the article I've posted and look at the research papers it references. If low carb high fat diets didn't work for endurance athletes things like this wouldn't be observed:
"One of the few studies that found a LCHF diet to be superior to a HFLC diet had five well-trained cyclists consume, in random order, a HCLF diet (74 percent of caloric intake) or a LCHF diet (70 percent of caloric intake) for two weeks. Cycling exercise to exhaustion at 60 percent of VO2 max (maximum aerobic exercise capacity) was longer after consuming a LCHF diet when compared to the HCLF diet."

Low carb diets work for low intensity endurance sports just as well as high carb ones, this is not debatable. Problem is, MMA is not a low intensity endurance sport.

Can you give me some examples of known runners (marathon runners at the olympics or something similar) on keto or low carb high fat diet?

I could only find a guy in a Vice documentary who claimed he was a ultra marathon runner

Can you give me some examples of known runners (marathon runners at the olympics or something similar) on keto or low carb high fat diet?

I could only find a guy in a Vice documentary who claimed he was a ultra marathon runner
No, I can't, because I don't really care about this topic and I'm not going to research names for you. I've given you an article that references 10 research papers with some studies carried out on athletes. What you choose to believe is your own business.

From my understanding he eats a lot of red meat and very little carbs. For the nutriton experts out there what are the pros and cons of this kind of diet for MMA fighters? I know Conor is known for having bad cardio and looking gassed after hitting the pads for a couple of minutes. I know genetics play a role but it seems kind of weird for somebody that preaches "timing beats speed and precision beats power" to gas out as quick as he does. Somebody else that is noted for having a meat heavy and low carb diet + shit cardio is Joe Rogan. I've seen people talking like it's impossible to train hard while being on low carbs and also mention how gassed Joe looks after hitting pads for like 30 seconds.

So... What are the benefits of low carb diets for MMA? Has Conor been watching too many Joe Rogan podcasts or are there benefits to it?
Keto diets are the shit and much better than most other diets. However if you throw in some fasting and you have a badass diet regimen that will kick ass.

You know you can be on keto and still eat carbs before something like running and still stay in ketosis the whole time. Also bro fat is 9 grams of calories (energy) vs 4 grams for carbs and proteins. Fats have 2x as much energy compared to carbs and proteins. FACTS.

Well he won two titles so I don't think it could be that bad.

The reason he gets winded easy is because he has bad knees and can't put in alot of road work.

Dude, you can throw broscience at me or you can go read the article I've posted and look at the research papers it references. If low carb high fat diets didn't work for endurance athletes things like this wouldn't be observed:
"One of the few studies that found a LCHF diet to be superior to a HFLC diet had five well-trained cyclists consume, in random order, a HCLF diet (74 percent of caloric intake) or a LCHF diet (70 percent of caloric intake) for two weeks. Cycling exercise to exhaustion at 60 percent of VO2 max (maximum aerobic exercise capacity) was longer after consuming a LCHF diet when compared to the HCLF diet."

Low carb diets work for low intensity endurance sports just as well as high carb ones, this is not debatable. Problem is, MMA is not a low intensity endurance sport.

The article itself says that it is just "one of the few studies" which shows LCHF diets to be marginally superior for low intensity endurance. Sure, I am going to base my nutrition on a study done on 5 cyclists. Not on thousands of years of proven endurance athlete diets.

Your article also says that the evidence is still flimsy at best too.
LCHF diets either have a small, positive effect, or no effect at all on lower-intensity cycling endurance (for example, cycling at 60 percent VO2max to exhaustion). Also, the LCHF diet typically loses its traction when examining higher-intensity exercise performance. For example, one study in seven female cyclists showed that cycling time to ex

So don't act petulantly like what you are saying is 100% proven because by all accounts, it is not.
All this small study detected is that on five cyclists doing a single test, there was marginal benefits, and that overall most research show little to no benefit to this fad diet.

You know you can be on keto and still eat carbs before something like running and still stay in ketosis the whole time. Also bro fat is 9 grams of calories (energy) vs 4 grams for carbs and proteins. Fats have 2x as much energy compared to carbs and proteins. FACTS.

It's more complex than this... gluconeogenesis, intramuscular triacylglycerol and others.

I didn't say you can't. I just wanted some examples of high profile athletes who are on keto/low carb.

Also, why do you need to eat carbs since you are in ketosis during the race? what's the point?

Last edited:
The article itself says that it is just "one of the few studies" which shows LCHF diets to be marginally superior for low intensity endurance. Sure, I am going to base my nutrition on a study done on 5 cyclists. Not on thousands of years of proven endurance athlete diets.

Your article also says that the evidence is still flimsy at best too.

So don't act petulantly like what you are saying is 100% proven because by all accounts, it is not.
All this small study detected is that on five cyclists doing a single test, there was marginal benefits, and that overall most research show little to no benefit to this fad diet.

They do not offer any performance benefit in most cases, but they're no worse than HC diets for low intensity endurance sports, which is exactly what I've said in two separate posts, but you've chosen to create a strawman and attack it instead of reading my posts. In other words: dumbfuck.

This particular study on cyclists is just an example that shows that LC diets can even offer a performance boost in some limited cases while not being worse in other cases. Some athletes choose to follow the LC diets because of their health benefits with no performance loss, not because of improved performance. The only "fad" I see here is morons trying to discredit things they don't even understand.

They do not offer any performance benefit in most cases, but they're no worse than HC diets for low intensity endurance sports, which is exactly what I've said in two separate posts, but you've chosen to create a strawman and attack it instead of reading my posts. In other words: dumbfuck.

This particular study on cyclists is just an example that shows that LC diets can even offer a performance boost in some limited cases while not being worse in other cases. Some athletes choose to follow the LC diets because of their health benefits with no performance loss, not because of improved performance. The only "fad" I see here is morons trying to discredit things they don't even understand.

Given that he calls a study an "article" and thinks research yields "100% proof" shows that you should not waste your time with him.

It aged him faster

Pre Khabib
https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2017%2F12%2Fconor-mcgregor-health-wellness-interview.jpg

bTBuWWC.gif

Post Khabib

Pretty sure that was the drugs, not the diet...

Back