Conor and his low carb diet

"Recent evidence suggests that a low carbohydrate (LC) diet may be equally or more effective for short-term weight loss than a traditional low fat (LF) diet"

I stopped reading after that. What a crock of BS… funny how you Keto starvation diet guys never post your blood test results…

I wonder why that is?

"I stopped paying attention to science and started listening to podcasts!!!!"

Great job, fool. For the record, I dislike the ketogenic diet. For the record, if you meet a minimum caloric requirement, it is not a starvation diet. However, as you feel free to disregard science and just make straw-man arguments and shit-posts, you can go on ignore with the trolls and other members of the flat-earth society.

Lotta ppl in this thread who don't know what they're talking about. That guy is one of the first to show his cluelessness.

I get it, after years of ppl gobbling up carbs and low fat it's difficult to give it up and/or be told it works so well.

It's a great diet. No broscience involved

Funny that all of the ones claiming broscience are not posting science, just shit. This is why I rarely discuss things in my field here. Sort of like dealing with anti-vaxxers and other idiots who view 7th grade general science as the most miserable three years of their lives.

EDIT: this is becoming a health and nutrition thread, i'll leave it be.

but for everyone out there, fat is not a bad source of fuel

Yeah. Ketone bodies are now being sold as an efficient fuel, but hey, some idiot that has no knowledge of science, nutrition and logic is going to argue with all of the scientific literature because, well, I have no idea why. I am not going to waste any more time. I will leave you to your good works.

:)

Good luck.

From my understanding he eats a lot of red meat and very little carbs. For the nutriton experts out there what are the pros and cons of this kind of diet for MMA fighters? I know Conor is known for having bad cardio and looking gassed after hitting the pads for a couple of minutes. I know genetics play a role but it seems kind of weird for somebody that preaches "timing beats speed and precision beats power" to gas out as quick as he does. Somebody else that is noted for having a meat heavy and low carb diet + shit cardio is Joe Rogan. I've seen people talking like it's impossible to train hard while being on low carbs and also mention how gassed Joe looks after hitting pads for like 30 seconds.

So... What are the benefits of low carb diets for MMA? Has Conor been watching too many Joe Rogan podcasts or are there benefits to it?

So to conclude Cony is just methane <Lmaoo>

<Eek2.0> All makes sense now.....:D

Yeah. Ketone bodies are now being sold as an efficient fuel, but hey, some idiot that has no knowledge of science, nutrition and logic is going to argue with all of the scientific literature because, well, I have no idea why. I am not going to waste any more time. I will leave you to your good works.

:)

Good luck.
I didn't want to turn it to this, but ppl spread disinformation for whatever reason. It's usually the vegans, because they want to justify their own way of eating. But hey I can eat pasta all day and be skinny? Believe me, I'd be in.

Yes Bart Kay is spreading misinformation by showing how a vegan is misinterpreting studies in order to favor veganism, where said vegan makes the majority of his income from.
LOL at using vegan gains as your source to discredit a real researcher with real published work.
- Vegan gains has done nothing but bloat up and become more depressed on his "Superior" vegan diet.
- Vegan gains also refuses to debate bart kay because he claims that bart kay Doxes people and doesn't want to give attention to him... lmao, sounds like a cop out to me.

I have no agenda here. From what i've seen and experienced, Keto and plant based diets are inferior to a balanced diet with an adequate amount of meat and vegetables.

No. Ur in denial buddy

"I stopped paying attention to science and started listening to podcasts!!!!"

Great job, fool. For the record, I dislike the ketogenic diet. For the record, if you meet a minimum caloric requirement, it is not a starvation diet. However, as you feel free to disregard science and just make straw-man arguments and shit-posts, you can go on ignore with the trolls and other members of the flat-earth society.

<YeahOKJen>

Athletes need carbs. Unless you are a marathon runner who needs slow burning fuel like fat.

Basically this.

Most athletes I've known or have read about that utilize low carb, fat based diets were marathon or ultra marathon runners.

Carbs seem to be a staple of any diet for an athlete that needs explosive motions.

I didn't want to turn it to this, but ppl spread disinformation for whatever reason. It's usually the vegans, because they want to justify their own way of eating. But hey I can eat pasta all day and be skinny? Believe me, I'd be in.
I guess you pay people to molester animals as well?
Lol

Oh and a vegan!? Bwahahahaha

Bwahahahaha
Shoved your hand up a cows ass recently?
If you drink milk…you are still a child.
If you eat tuna… the mercury is making you delusional. Please don't try and make a valid argument.

Shoved your hand up a cows ass recently?
LMAO lmao. This is too funny. Ur a vegan hahaha. U do know u can be vegan and do keto? OMG u have no idea what ur talking about.. lolol

LMAO lmao. This is too funny. Ur a vegan hahaha. U do know u can be vegan and do keto? OMG u have no idea what ur talking about.. lolol
Are you trying to say I didn't know that? Please stop trying to put words in my mouth. Your insanity is starting to show up.

Edit: I am not even vegan so you should go home now, your congative dissidence is becoming toxic.

Athletes need high fat and carbs. Conor is on a bodybuilding diet. It looks good but it's not good for performance.

This. Can confirm as an ex bodybuilder.

Low carb is good for two main reasons.

1) More protein per overall calories

2) High nutritional value in terms of vitamins+minerals per overall calories

High carb foods tend to be less efficient in that regard. With the exception of fruit, but that involves lots of sugar which is a whole different issue. Restricting carbs allows you to eat just meat and veggies almost exclusively.

The low cal, meat and veggies route is actually great. It's great if you want to "get healthy." It's great if you want to lose weight and it's great if you want pack on muscle. It's also great if you're fighting disease.

It's not so great if you are an elite athlete though... After a while the efficiency and simplicity of that dietary strategy stops outweighing the cons of not eating "enough" carbs.

Most people will never reach that stage. We don't train or do enough in general for it to become a problem. And it's still a dietary strategy I recommend to the majority of people irl whenever they ask.

First of all, Conor is not an endurance athlete and MMA is not an "endurance sport". MMA is a high intensity exercise sport requiring bursts of very high effort, endurance sports are sutff like long distance running, cycling, swimming, triathlon and so on.

Secondly, "low carb" (i.e. low carb high fat) diets in general are not better than high carb ones for endurance athletes, they are not worse. There is only one case where low carb diet actually shows an improvement in performance: low intensity cycling. Couple this fact with some health benefits of a low carb diet and you will understand why some endurance athletes may opt to try them - because their performance remains mostly unaffected.

Here's a good article that explains everything referencing a good number of research papers:
https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/low-vs-high-carbohydrate-diet-endurance/

So, as I've said earlier, as an armchair nutritionist the only athlete I would not prohibit to go on a low carb (+high fat) diet is an endurance athlete. A low carb diet would not prevent Conor from having good cardio per se, but his muscles would not be able to work under high intensity conditions (something that is common in MMA) as well as they would be able to with refilled glycogen stores.

Thy can use carbs or they can switch to low carb high fat diet and suffer no performance loss.
I'm pretty much on the same page. I have to conclude Conor either has bad genes or is just getting lazy at this point. I'd imagine he has a nutritionist already.

Pure low-carb is passe, if anything Conor would be carb and macro cycling based on his daily needs. Only fat ass diabetics do straight low-carb.

Back