Concerning my Tuition - I'm getting mixed responses

I disagree, paying 180 a month for a purple belt (wont get into his skill level either) is CRAZY when world champion blackbelts are charging prices close to that in manhattan, which is a more expensive area than brooklyn anyway.

not rolling for 6 months is even more crazy, the reason bjj is such an effective martial art is because of the live training, take that away and you got the equivalent of karate kata class.

positional training is great, but it does NOT substitute rolling.... it is a great supplement, but not the main thing. would anyone take supplements without going to the gym?

also mudkip, your complaining no one told u it was a bad price, but people did....several people including myself have written in your other thread, you didnt pay attention to it.

Don't misunderstand me. I think he should have explored his options.

However, he is a new beginner. Training 6 months under anyone, even a purple belt, will still be tremendously beneficial.

Many schools in NYC, even with Black Belt instructors are more than $180, and they also follow the exact same model of not rolling until you progress in white belt stripes, and pay more money.

There are plenty also in the city, that do not follow that model, and he will get personal attention from world champ black belts, get to roll, etc (like at Marcelo's, Shaolin, Alliance NYC, etc).

All I'm saying is 6 months is short. No need to regret your decision. In any case, if its just about money, not many schools in NYC are cheaper than $180, and even if they were, he is only over spending by $100-200 at most over a 6 month duration.

I signed up very recently...

But why, in the previous thread I made, everyone said this was a fair price?

Maybe that was before you told them the conditions, like that you're training under a purple belt or the promotion thing. 180 isn't unreasonable for the area, but there are tons of other factors.

Hell, I'm a purple belt. And in this area, I don't have the gall to charge money to learn from me. I don't even think I'm qualified to teach outside the beginner classes at my school, because of the number of black belts in the area.

maybe there is no rolling because his insurance won't cover it? some policies i looked at have restrictions on what kind of "sparring" or "contact" is allowed to be covered.

You are getting ripped off big time.

I understand, its just for the same price you can get a cheeseburger or a steak from a 5 star restaurant, you can still get full with the burger but why chose it!

Life is short, to me 6 months is a LONG time, he loses money yes, but also valuable time. 6 months under a top blackbelt>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>50 years under a purple belt. thats just my opinion, although I see where your coming from as well!

I understand, its just for the same price you can get a cheeseburger or a steak from a 5 star restaurant, you can still get full with the burger but why chose it!

Life is short, to me 6 months is a LONG time, he loses money yes, but also valuable time. 6 months under a top blackbelt>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>50 years under a purple belt. thats just my opinion, although I see where your coming from as well!

When you are 37, 6 months is very short :)

Also, I agree with your sentiments. If I remember correctly, you train at Shaolin's- which by all accounts is an awesome school.

Kimuralex...didn't you used to train under Gene Dunn and/or Brian Glick at Brooklyn BJJ? Or am I thinking of someone else?

is it no all out sparring or no rolling at all? because GB allows only positional sparring for white belt with 3 stripes.

There is a guy at your gym w/ one of the most awesome Reverse DLR games I have seen in a while, other than going to the Robson seminar!

I pay that much a month and I get

A: 20+ potential hours per month
B: With 15+ high level black belts, 10+ great brown belts, 20ish purple's and A whole gagle of great blues
C: Get muay thai with great MMA fighters

You're getting screwed

I pay 80$ for unlimited classes. I have a Black belt instructor for BJJ and no gi, Brown for Judo and an amateur fighter for MMA. I am definitely not getting ripped off, but it sounds like you are.

There is a guy at your gym w/ one of the most awesome Reverse DLR games I have seen in a while, other than going to the Robson seminar!

really? was it a blue belt named van? but he plays a lot of regular dlr, unless hes been working on some new stuff while i was gone! lol

oh before you guys start saying "oh i pay xxxx so you're getting fuct". State where you live, and where the gym is. Is the gym in a upscale commerical area? What is the cost of living in your area?

Threadstarter - Believe it or not this is how all the Renzo affiliates are set up.

1. Get the student in under a six month contract (and a free shitty gi) at an outrageous price. They call this the "purple belt program."

2. After the 6 months or when you get your blue, they'll tell you you are now "eligible" to enter the "black belt program." Oh, and the price will jump, but they wont tell you until now about the jump. Oh, and there is now a *TWO YEAR* contract, but they didn't mention that before either.

This is how all the Renzo affiliate schools are set up. It's a system. I train at a Renzo affiliate and it's $200/mo. LOL that's a car payment. Only difference is I can train all I want. And we have several black belts around on the mats, for whatever that's worth to you.

The contract is BS though, and YOU CAN BREAK THIS THING NO PROBLEM. Technically they can move to enforce the contract though litigation, but they WILL NOT waste the time and money. They can also report the unpaid balance of the contract to credit reporting agencies, but that is also unlikely, and you can dispute this directly with those agencies, in which case the school would need to get a judgement by suing you - which, again, will not happen.

If you have options in your area and are dissatisfied with your school, LEAVE. Trust me, JUST BONE OUT.

Last edited:
really? was it a blue belt named van? but he plays a lot of regular dlr, unless hes been working on some new stuff while i was gone! lol

Might of been Van, or maybe some guy named Mark Im thinking...ha not sure though.

1. Get the student in under a six month contract (and a free shitty gi) at an outrageous price. They call this the "blue belt program."

2. After the 6 months or when you get your blue, they'll tell you you are now "eligible" to enter the "black belt program." Oh, and and the price will jump, but they wont tell you until now about the jump. Oh, and there is now a *TWO YEAR* contract, but they didn't mention that before either.

Holy smoke.

It is the start and I can see other clubs following such system!

$180 a month in Metro New York isn't as outrageous as people make it out to be. Fact is, New York City is more expensive than anywhere else in the world. The more well known schools charge about $200 a month with a year long contract (and usually offer 6 months and month-to-month contracts, but at a higher price).

The problem with this is that you are being trained by a purple/blue belt for 2-3 hours of training a week and that they want you to sign a 2 year contract just to get promoted. The promotion thing shouldn't happen like that.

i agree with this guy. $180 is not bad for your state but only 2-3 hours by a purple?
i know a fucking purple who gives 2 gi 1 no gi classes per week at $35. Then theres another purple who left our school to open his own gym and charge way above our prices and our is school under a BB.

but how does 2-3 hrs work? how does one get students like that? please named the school/instructor this is bullshit.

Maybe we're just spoiled with all of the great gyms/competition in Vegas, but I pay just over half that for unlimited training at Robert Drysdale's. In addition to Robert, we get instruction from Sonny Nohara, Rodrigo Botti, and Sean Spangler. There are also a couple of good brown belts who teach occasionally.

Back