Concerning my Tuition - I'm getting mixed responses

$50 a month locked into a year long contract (got a free gi). It was $85 a month but I get the mop mappers discount.

3 classes a week (more in the future), generally anywhere from an hour and 40 minutes to 2 hours. Instructor is a purple belt and class size is anywhere from 3-5 students usually.

The instructor just signed a contract with a Brazilian black belt who will be moving here to teach if he can get his work visa. The purple belt instructor has a very high paying job if you're wondering how this is possible.

He doesn't have a budget for how much he needs to make, but how much money he can lose. Ultimately the goal is to turn the BJJ club into an MMA gym and finally start making money off of it.

Anyways.. That's what's going on, I know you guys were interested..

$50 a month locked into a year long contract (got a free gi). It was $85 a month but I get the mop mappers discount.

3 classes a week (more in the future), generally anywhere from an hour and 40 minutes to 2 hours. Instructor is a purple belt and class size is anywhere from 3-5 students usually.

The instructor just signed a contract with a Brazilian black belt who will be moving here to teach if he can get his work visa. The purple belt instructor has a very high paying job if you're wondering how this is possible.

He doesn't have a budget for how much he needs to make, but how much money he can lose. Ultimately the goal is to turn the BJJ club into an MMA gym and finally start making money off of it.

Your club sounds like a utopia compared to the one I've gotten myself into.

Yeah. Unfortunately, I found that out after I enrolled.

To be promoted into the "advanced" class, I must prepare myself for a 2-year commitment. Otherwise, I must complete my 6 month contract "learning" the same moves over and over.

When I checked Yelp.com, the school (which is a chain) seemed to have fair reviews. What I found out later was that the only 5-star rating the school received was from an instructor there and a whole bunch of 1-star ratings were all "flagged".

get the fuck out

edit: of the gym i mean

and i'm sure there are tons of brooklyn guys around here

It's nice to see some people do the sport some good like your instructor is.

How can I leave if I'm bound by a contract? :(

and what the fuck was with the other thread I made then?

They made it seem like 2 year contracts at $180 per month or higher were fucking normal.

-edit- I feel like I made a pact with the devil.

You're probably going to have take responsibilty for this mate.
Sure, some people told you that it was a good deal and they were wrong, tough break. The price for Jiu Jitsu schools gets talked about fairly frequently. I can only assume you didn't research enough before signing up. Lesson learned.

It's a shitty situation and I'd probably try to get out of the contract especially if there are better schools in the area charging less. Not sure how someone would go about doing it, but i'd be trying.

Last edited:
the non promotion thing : my guess is that most of the white belts are required to learn self defense for six months. ANd quite frankly i see nothing wrong with that. As for "Prices"

Just asking "how much do you pay" is nonsense, each city/location is different. If you're in a shitty part of town it would be cheaper than if you are in a upper class neighborhood.

Don't tell us your name just tell us the name of your school. Unless i see who your instructor is, his rank and lineage... it's hard to make a judgement.

That's expensive as hell, bro. Even. The Gracie academies aren't that much.

the non promotion thing : my guess is that most of the white belts are required to learn self defense for six months. ANd quite frankly i see nothing wrong with that. As for "Prices"

Just asking "how much do you pay" is nonsense, each city/location is different. If you're in a shitty part of town it would be cheaper than if you are in a upper class neighborhood.

Don't tell us your name just tell us the name of your school. Unless i see who your instructor is, his rank and lineage... it's hard to make a judgement.

Self defense? We're recycled the same few lessons.

Lineage: Renzo Gracie > Gene Dunn > Purple Belt

Self defense? We're recycled the same few lessons.

Lineage: Renzo Gracie > Gene Dunn > Purple Belt

if you are learning from a purple belt and the school is not in a great part of town in a great location (safety, parking, ect). Unless that purple belt is a world champion, i would not have paid that much, even then that place must be in an amazing location.

if you are learning from a purple belt and the school is not in a great part of town in a great location (safety, parking, ect). Unless that purple belt is a world champion, i would not have paid that much, even then that place must be in an amazing location.

I would hardly say its at a nice location. Near cemeteries and is generally not a very popular place.

I'm receiving class lessons from a purple belt. Sometimes, a blue belt substitutes as the instructor. I get 2-3 hours of said lessons per week. I pay $180 per month.

Is this right?

When I first made a thread about this, people told me this was a fair price. When I compared my tuition to what others were paying in other people's threads, they thought I was joking/trolling.

I said that I doubt you would find cheaper due to your location.

I had no idea the guy was a purple belt.

If you want to try out other clubs that have a BB, go ahead.

I have 2 brasilians guys that started under a purple and they are now themselves excellent BB!

Good luck.

confront your instructor tell him you lost your job and are unable to pay. or just quit going and quit paying. its highly unlikely they will take you to court for a breach of contract. it takes lots of time and money for such a small amount of gain for them. hell you could hire a lawyer for 500 bucks and he would smash that case no problem. if your on an auto withdraw contact your bank and stop payment. having a contract for new students is bullshit and its asking for a big commitment for something they know nothing about. fuck the contract...and find a new school ware you wont get raped

confront your instructor tell him you lost your job and are unable to pay. or just quit going and quit paying. its highly unlikely they will take you to court for a breach of contract. it takes lots of time and money for such a small amount of gain for them. hell you could hire a lawyer for 500 bucks and he would smash that case no problem. if your on an auto withdraw contact your bank and stop payment. having a contract for new students is bullshit and its asking for a big commitment for something they know nothing about. fuck the contract...and find a new school ware you wont get raped

They do have me on auto-withdraw. They have my credit card.

They do have me on auto-withdraw. They have my credit card.

I even feel more sorry for you!

All the white belts I see at my club are just so happy to train and the contract does not matter.

They just fall for the whole BJJ stuff: belong to the family and represent the team (if you are into competition) or just being the sparring partner and help your teamates train to compete at the next tournament.

I even feel more sorry for you!

All the white belts I see at my club are just so happy to train and the contract does not matter.

They just fall for the whole BJJ stuff: belong to the family and represent the team (if you are into competition) or just being the sparring partner and help your teamates train to compete at the next tournament.

Oh. So I am wrong because I am concerned that I am paying too much? Get a grip. Our economy is going through a shitstorm. This isn't a cult where I blindly follow a leader and pay him whatever he desires, being glad just from the fact that I'm in the group.

You clearly sound like you're an instructor and you find it horrifying that people might actually challenge the rates you charge your students. Hence your undying support for whatever instructors which to charge their students.

no but let's face it, you didn't do enough research. You are a man and like all things in life you should have done your proper research before signing a 6 month contract. How long did you research online before making a 1,080 dollar commitment? my guess is that you didn't spend that much time. 180 is not unreasonable in a city like NY, 180 to train under a purple is.

................. did I mention I'm bound by a 6 month contract and cannot be promoted unless I extend said contract to 2 years?

Run from this place as soon as you can! Run!!!

Oh. So I am wrong because I am concerned that I am paying too much? Get a grip. Our economy is going through a shitstorm. This isn't a cult where I blindly follow a leader and pay him whatever he desires, being glad just from the fact that I'm in the group.

You clearly sound like you're an instructor and you find it horrifying that people might actually challenge the rates you charge your students. Hence your undying support for whatever instructors which to charge their students.

No, You have the right as a consumer to judge the product, price and market rate. I guess you did not check out the market rate.

All I said in my experience, at white belt level people are more engrossed and vooed into the team theme by then to worry about long term contract etc...which is not your case.

i guess a team logo tattoo is out of the question! jkd

just cheer up and take one on the chin, I guess...

Complete your contract, meanwhile do some free class at other clubs and see what it is like.

Last edited:
Back