Concerning my Tuition - I'm getting mixed responses

honestly, do adults not know about the cost of living in different areas even within the same city?

There's so many great places but you have to travel a little. Unfortunately, I don't know of any in that area of brooklyn though. I know Phillipe Nover teaches somewhere on avenue N in Mill Basin. There's two academies ran by Renzo blackbelts in SI that are top quality. One is Codella Academy I can't think of the name of the other. Carmine Zocchi is in the queens/bushwick area. If you hop on a train to the city you can train with Shaolin or Renzo. 180 is a price you pay for legit black belt level training. Knowing the place your at I'm sorry your getting ripped off. I was so angry after visiting that place. 6 months of limited classes without rolling is 6 months they're straight up robbing you. The student creed / speech is them brainwashing you.

Last edited:
There's so many great places but you have to travel a little. Unfortunately, I don't know of any in that area of brooklyn though. I know Phillipe Nover teaches somewhere on avenue N in Mill Basin. There's two academies ran by Renzo blackbelts in SI that are top quality. One is Codella Academy I can't think of the name of the other. Carmine Zocchi is in the queens/bushwick area. If you hop on a train to the city you can train with Shaolin or Renzo. 180 is a price you pay for legit black belt level training. Knowing the place your at I'm sorry your getting ripped off. I was so angry after visiting that place. 6 months of limited classes without rolling is 6 months they're straight up robbing you. The student creed / speech is them brainwashing you. Don't go to any of that schools locations.

I thought that the student creed was BJJ tradition. I guess not. It takes up at least 10 minutes of class.

So all of the dojos that are part of that chain aren't good?

no renzo gracie is a extremely respected association that produced many high lvl grapplers.

No No Renzo Gracie and affiliates are awesome! For some reason the particular school your at is closer to a traditional martial arts school though then an actual BJJ academy. The owner of your school has more then one location. I was just saying dont go to his schools. The instructors are great grapplers but they dont actually teach BJJ the way everyone else here is learning it.

I'm being way too nice. No rolling for 6 months, super slow rolling after that, preaching against competition, life speeches, student creeds, 2 year contracts, its bullshit. Not to mention you can only use their gi's with their logos on it. Its a total sham that people new to the sport fall for because they just don't know any better.

Last edited:
10 min student creed every class...........wtf

if i tried to do that with my students i dont think i'd ever see any of them again. hell even i'd leave

10 min student creed every class...........wtf

if i tried to do that with my students i dont think i'd ever see any of them again. hell even i'd leave

I actually thought it was BJJ tradition. Not only do we have 10 minute student creeds in which we stand still and listen to the same lecture on life but we also have 20-30 minute warmups. Is this common in other schools?

Gene Dunn and Brian Glick are both accomplished blackbelt BJJ grapplers. Why don't they teach what makes them so great?

I actually thought it was BJJ tradition. Not only do we have 10 minute student creeds in which we stand still and listen to the same lecture on life but we also have 20-30 minute warmups. Is this common in other schools?

Gene Dunn and Brian Glick are both accomplished blackbelt BJJ grapplers. Why don't they teach what makes them so great?

What the hell is a student creed?

never heard of a student creed in 7 years of bjj. long warmups are pretty normal tho

What the hell is a student creed?

Staring at a poster which reads three lines. We stand for 3 minutes, just looking at the lines. Then, we read one line. Listen to a 3 minute lecture. Read the next line. Listen to another 3 minute lecture. Then, the last line and we listen to another 3-5 minute lecture. Then, if there are any promotions (there usually are), we clap for a whole 2 minutes for EACH PERSON who got promoted. After its all over, we face our partners for a few whole minutes and bow to them.

This all takes place during class-time. It takes up at least 10 minutes of our class-time.

Staring at a poster which reads three lines. We stand for 3 minutes, just looking at the lines. Then, we read one line. Listen to a 3 minute lecture. Read the next line. Listen to another 3 minute lecture. Then, the last line and we listen to another 3-5 minute lecture. Then, if there are any promotions (there usually are), we clap for a whole 2 minutes for EACH PERSON who got promoted. After its all over, we face our partners for a few whole minutes and bow to them.

This all takes place during class-time. It takes up at least 10 minutes of our class-time.

That's bull, I've never done that. We congratulate people at the end of class for achievements but it's like a 10 second clap. We shake hands/bow at the end of class and after rolling.

If you are trolling, then its funny. But if this is serious, it's very funny.

That's bull, I've never done that. We congratulate people at the end of class for achievements but it's like a 10 second clap. We shake hands/bow at the end of class and after rolling.

Now, it seems like I've joined a cult. Is my dojo the only one impressing their ideals and beliefs onto its students?

They tell us the following:

1) Cagefighting and other forms of competition are bad. They are useless and are a waste of talent.

2) We are above the average person because we choose to take BJJ at their dojo.

3) We need to recruit more people to the dojo to save them from being unhealthy.

This all happens in class!

I also personally find it disgusting that all of the bad reviews for my academy have been flagged and only the good ones (one of them is written by an instructor there) remain.

hes not trolling.

I trained a few years there, i enjoyed it when gene dunn was teaching all the time, but then new schools opened and he got students running classes for him and it pretty much went downhill from there.

For serious bjj training, i said this many times already, but you NEED to go to manhattan....or long island or even staten island.

No, I'm not trolling. All who have went to my school know it to be true.

Omg. I just googled "Student Creed" and realized that the student creed we've been forced to recite over and over is actually just a bunch of cliches.

This image is almost a carbon copy of the student creed we recite. The only words that are different are "martial development". I think they are replaced with training but I am not sure.

I used to defend them a lot, but a lot of things have changed since then that made me very sour....... I do not intend on trash talking, just stating facts.

hes not trolling.

I trained a few years there, i enjoyed it when gene dunn was teaching all the time, but then new schools opened and he got students running classes for him and it pretty much went downhill from there.

For serious bjj training, i said this many times already, but you NEED to go to manhattan....or long island or even staten island.

Do you know of any schools that are open on weekends? That would accommodate my schedule best.

Now, it seems like I've joined a cult. Is my dojo the only one impressing their ideals and beliefs onto its students?

They tell us the following:

1) Cagefighting and other forms of competition are bad. They are useless and are a waste of talent.

2) We are above the average person because we choose to take BJJ at their dojo.

3) We need to recruit more people to the dojo to save them from being unhealthy.

This all happens in class!

I also personally find it disgusting that all of the bad reviews for my academy have been flagged and only the good ones (one of them is written by an instructor there) remain.

I think you belong to Scientologian Jiujitsu bro, not Brazilian Jiujitsu. Easy mistake to make. You may wanna leave that cult though

Do you know of any schools that are open on weekends? That would accommodate my schedule best.

most schools just have a saturday class....

where do you live/work? for example shaolins and some other schools have an early morning class which is at 730 am, so you can technically take it, then shower (we have showers) and then go to work (if you work in the city).....

honestly I thought getting to the city would be a drag, but its not bad at all, and many times after practice me and a bunch of guys go out to eat, to the bar, drinks, etc.... it turned out great.

btw shaolins is now having muy thai classes 2x a week at 8 30 at night

there's a bjj school on the planet that thinks that mma and competition is bad?!? and he's not trolling?

I thought this was a renzo gracie affiliate. last time i checked renzo was an mma fighter.

Back