Concern About Power Lifting Regimen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question. If I move to Arizona, will I get fat like Zerocrew?

If you move to UT you will turn Mormon.

What hes saying is you have room for improvement at your current weight. You don't need to add weight to get stronger.

What I'm hearing is, if you really dedicate yourself to gains at the big three while maintaining your bodyweight, it can be done. Which was my question.

I guess, with all that goes into mma/grappling training, I'm still wondering if focusing on gains in the big three while maintaining my current weight is the best use of my time, whereas I can do bodyweight exercises, roll, run, HIIT, spar, roll, hit the bag, etc., and it actually contributes to holding my weight down.

I guess. I don't know. My Q was whether or not I can keep getting gains while maintaining weight, and that was answered, so thanks. Like somebody said, in the end it's up to me to do the time arithmetic, I suppose.

So my squatting, deadlifting, and bench pressing numbers will not necessarily stagnate if I stop gaining weight?

In other words, I can have continual gains in the big three from now until doomsday while still maintaining my 195 pound weight?

I'm honestly asking, because that doesn't seem true to me.

Yes you can continue to make progress, however the progress will be slower than it would be if you gained mass. If you are training to be a fighter, then weight training is simply GPP for your sport and thus I don't think you would ever be able to put the time into it to develop elite strength levels, so I wouldn't worry about becoming so strong you have to gain size.

EDIT: Art posted pretty much this same thing right before me...

It is difficult, but not impossible, to make continuous strength gains while in caloric maintenence or deficit.

It is likely "easier" to make increases in your lifts while in a caloric surplus, however, that does not make a surplus necessary.

This applies especially if you are not very strong, or do not have a significant lifting background. For one specific example, my deadlift went from somewhere around 300 to 470 in a relatively short period of time, all of which was around 178lb of bodyweight.

Would it have been higher if I was eating an extra 500 cals a day? Probably. Same if I wasn't boxing 4-5 days a week, and running. Still, gains were made in strength without gains in weight. Really not much difference in body comp either, at least to the eye.

Thanks Art. Very helpful.

What I'm hearing is, if you really dedicate yourself to gains at the big three while maintaining your bodyweight, it can be done. Which was my question.

I guess, with all that goes into mma/grappling training, I'm still wondering if focusing on gains in the big three while maintaining my current weight is the best use of my time, whereas I can do bodyweight exercises, roll, run, HIIT, spar, roll, hit the bag, etc., and it actually contributes to holding my weight down.

I guess. I don't know. My Q was whether or not I can keep getting gains while maintaining weight, and that was answered, so thanks. Like somebody said, in the end it's up to me to do the time arithmetic, I suppose.

Read Finnegan's log.

I guess, with all that goes into mma/grappling training, I'm still wondering if focusing on gains in the big three while maintaining my current weight is the best use of my time.

That's something that you need to decide. Will increasing your DL from 500 to 530 help you with MMA? Probably not. Will increasing it from 200 to 400 help? Most definitely. You have to attack your weak spots and that could be strength or it could be conditioning or skill work. If you're already a strong bastard and your skill needs some improvement... it's probably best not to place so much focus on strength and place more on skill. Only you can decide if it's worth your time.

It depends. Sometimes it will make you Iranian.

0826_A66.jpg

Only if you have a Bulgarian coach.

That's something that you need to decide. Will increasing your DL from 500 to 530 help you with MMA? Probably not. Will increasing it from 200 to 400 help? Most definitely. You have to attack your weak spots and that could be strength or it could be conditioning or skill work. If you're already a strong bastard and your skill needs some improvement... it's probably best not to place so much focus on strength and place more on skill. Only you can decide if it's worth your time.

Yep, probably true.

Finny's hammer swinging awesomeness was the trumpcard.

I don't have any advice to give as I'm a newb when it comes to powerlifting but what weight is your fighting weight how much do you cut etc.....

Maybe you could put on 5 pounds without a problem.

However I can personally attest that I have increased strength while not eating more in the past.

I Improved my bench by about 20-30 pounds when I was just eating normally and not taking in more calories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back