Concern About Power Lifting Regimen

Status
Not open for further replies.
And polish?!

It depends. Sometimes it will make you Iranian.

0826_A66.jpg

So my squatting, deadlifting, and bench pressing numbers will not necessarily stagnate if I stop gaining weight?

In other words, I can have continual gains in the big three from now until doomsday while still maintaining my 195 pound weight?

I'm honestly asking, because that doesn't seem true to me.

Increases in neural efficiency. A bigger muscle can be a stronger muscle, but making a muscle stronger does not require an increase in cross section unless you are extremely well trained and experienced. At the end of day weight it's all about what you take in, and what you burn for energy. If the latter is equal or greater than the former you won't gain weight.

This was going to be pretty much my response.

I mean, I have answered it. I'm currently not doing those things. I just don't understand why others have come to a dissimilar conclusion.

Ask Finnegan. He used inefficient movements like DL and squats and got cock diesel strong. Then he took his first AM-MMA fight and beat his opponent like a rented mule until the ref saved the guy's life.

So my squatting, deadlifting, and bench pressing numbers will not necessarily stagnate if I stop gaining weight?

In other words, I can have continual gains in the big three from now until doomsday while still maintaining my 195 pound weight?

yes that is right.

Yeh you might gain an initial 3-5kg like most people do BUT if you manage your diet carefully and do lots of cardio/technique you can stay at the same weight.

Finnegan regularly set PR's while cutting weight.

Look at powerlifting records for weight classes around 200lbs. If your total is not within 500lbs. of the records, you probably still have some room for improvement.

Look at powerlifting records for weight classes around 200lbs. If your total is not within 500lbs. of the records, you probably still have some room for improvement.

Yeah, sure, but I'm not lifting to set numbers, which is why I don't post on powerlifting sites. I'm lifting to improve my grappling/mma performance, and part of that performance is I kick the shit out of smaller guys better than bigger guys.

Yeah, sure, but I'm not lifting to set numbers, which is why I don't post on powerlifting sites. I'm lifting to improve my grappling/mma performance, and part of that performance is I kick the shit out of smaller guys better than bigger guys.

Edit: Misunderstood your post.

What hes saying is you have room for improvement at your current weight. You don't need to add weight to get stronger.

That's because the bigger guys are stronger than you.

It is difficult, but not impossible, to make continuous strength gains while in caloric maintenence or deficit.

It is likely "easier" to make increases in your lifts while in a caloric surplus, however, that does not make a surplus necessary.

This applies especially if you are not very strong, or do not have a significant lifting background. For one specific example, my deadlift went from somewhere around 300 to 470 in a relatively short period of time, all of which was around 178lb of bodyweight.

Would it have been higher if I was eating an extra 500 cals a day? Probably. Same if I wasn't boxing 4-5 days a week, and running. Still, gains were made in strength without gains in weight. Really not much difference in body comp either, at least to the eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back