Completely lost interest in the UFC since...

The rate of concussions is so much higher in the NFL to rugby it's not even close.

Think only the north Americans can follow you there. But that's all cool, Kim Jong-un is really big in North-Korea, not so much in the rest of the world. Atleast your people get you. :icon_twis

They need all that protection, padding, helmets and stuff, just to do what rugby players do!

Except rugby players don't do what football players do. At all. Not anywhere close.

In rugby, the tackler is responsible for taking the ball carrier safely to the ground. You can't leave your feet to tackle, you can't spear the ball carrier, and you can't take him past the horizontal (ensuring that he won't land on his head).

In football, short of a horse collar or a face mask, you can do anything you want to take down a player. You can leave your feet and launch into the ball carrier like a missile if you want to.

Rugby is a rough sport, but the violence is controlled because of the lack of protective gear. Football is a series of violent collisions. Most of the hits that happen in football would get you a yellow card in rugby.

That's like saying Pro-Boxers need gloves and protection to do what street fighters do. It makes no sense. I don't follow stupid sports where you're not even allowed to leave the ground for a tackle. What a pussification.

you gonna get flamed, but I agree with you. Last night's Bellator was better than any recent UFC I can remember.

Yeah that main event was pure quality MMA right there...let me tell ya. UFC haters are hilarious.

Think only the north Americans can follow you there. But that's all cool, Kim Jong-un is really big in North-Korea, not so much in the rest of the world. Atleast your people get you. :icon_twis

American football is very popular. More so than rugby that's for sure.

The last Super Bowl is only beat in views by 3 other sports events, World Cup, Olympics, and cricket World Cup.

Rugby isn't even close.

Except rugby players don't do what football players do. At all. Not anywhere close.

In rugby, the tackler is responsible for taking the ball carrier safely to the ground. You can't leave your feet to tackle, you can't spear the ball carrier, and you can't take him past the horizontal (ensuring that he won't land on his head).

In football, short of a horse collar or a face mask, you can do anything you want to take down a player. You can leave your feet and launch into the ball carrier like a missile if you want to.

Rugby is a rough sport, but the violence is controlled because of the lack of protective gear. Football is a series of violent collisions. Most of the hits that happen in football would get you a yellow card in rugby.

Having played both, I can agree. Being tackled in rugby is more like being pulled to the ground. Being tackled in Gridiron is like a sudden hard, slam. Both hurt. Both suck. But generally I'll be up and ready a second after a rugby tackle; Gridiron is more a shock which needs some recovery time.

Rugby players to me always seemed tougher though. It's probably more to do with the game itself though more than anything.

That's like saying Pro-Boxers need gloves and protection to do what street fighters do. It makes no sense. I don't follow stupid sports where you're not even allowed to leave the ground for a tackle. What a pussification.

To each their own. The rest of the world likes Rugby, America not so much so they create a sport of their own. You guys are good at it, but it's just you guys really taking it serious.

American football is very popular. More so than rugby that's for sure.

The last Super Bowl is only beat in views by 3 other sports events, World Cup, Olympics, and cricket World Cup.

Rugby isn't even close.

In America. The rest of the world doesn't care about it or compete. I think they tried starting American football leagues in Europe and it absolutely failed. They stopped after a few years, nobody was coming to watch.

you gonna get flamed, but I agree with you. Last night's Bellator was better than any recent UFC I can remember.

If the UFC aired that PPV, people would bitch that they're being forced to pay for washed up old dinosaurs in Tito and Rampage and bitch that a no name had to replace Alvarez in the co-main event.

To each their own. The rest of the world likes Rugby, America not so much so they create a sport of their own. You guys are good at it, but it's just you guys really taking it serious.

If the rest of the world likes rugby why is American football more popular overall in ratings, views, merchandise sales, etc.?

Around Cain/JDS. The rematched them too quickly and have now put that division on lock. Jones has had lhw on lock for a while. I'm still interested in what's going on a middleweight with the rise of Weidman, but that's about it. Aldo is fun to watch but he fights very infrequently.

Having played both, I can agree. Being tackled in rugby is more like being pulled to the ground. Being tackled in Gridiron is like a sudden hard, slam. Both hurt. Both suck. But generally I'll be up and ready a second after a rugby tackle; Gridiron is more a shock which needs some recovery time.

Rugby players to me always seemed tougher though. It's probably more to do with the game itself though more than anything.

The hits in American Football are on an average probably harder than in rugby, although I think this is a symptom of having the padding and protection, not due to any superior skill/strength,etc... Thus the higher concussion rate. But again, is that something to brag about? I was joking when I said American Football was for whimps, lol. This discussion started out of something so stupid. Aaah well. Both are equally hard sports. The point I tried to make is that Americans tend to favor sports they are good at themselves, if they suck at it they sport usually sucks (according to them). So it's easy to make a few sports of your own, the rest of the world doesn't compete in it and yes you are superior at it.

Anyway got to go. Lol. Ciao. :p

No not in America. How dense are you? Overall throughout the world Super Bowl is #4 viewed sporting event. Not just America. The world.

http://sports-facts.top5.com/the-worlds-top-5-most-watched-sporting-events/

Never watched it. But I'm guessing that's because it's also a glamour thing when Janet Jackson and Titty gate.

In Europe they never review any American football apart from the superbowl (at midnight).

Look at the explanation by the way:
''Super Bowl XLVI, in 2012, was the most watched “big game” in the history of the NFL. The match, which pitted the NY Giants against the New England Patriots, drew around 111.5 million viewers. When you consider how (relatively) few people outside of North America care about American football, that’s a proportionally huge number of folks tuning in to watch the Pats lose.''

football my dear, FOOTBALL

let me tell you a story:

football has been played for centuries (you know, the game you play with your feet)

arround 1820 a derivation of it was invented in called rugby

arround 1870 a imitation of rugby was called "football" (still don

Watching Severn vs Shamrock 2 fifteen times in the same day would be more exciting than watching a football (aka soccer) match imo. lol I can do without the 1-0 or 0-0 games thanks. :)

I agree, fox's production sucks. But as long as I can watch fights for free I'm good with it.

such ignorance rather be unspoken than to speak out loud and let everyone know you are an idiot.

If you don't like soccer, it's fine.
But the average match has 2 or 3 goals.

The worldcup has the best players from each country. It would be akin MMA getting all champs and matching one against the other in a tourney style.

Much better than the UFC claiming they got the better fighter (but never proving it).

dude you keep saying 'the rest of the world' or 'most popular sport in the world'.. but youre talking about outside of the US. you know that almost anything of importance on a global scale comes from america. when things happen in america, its important everywhere. shit is going downhill fast in places like Syria, Ukraine, etc.. nobody cares (unless theyre bitching at the US for not coming to mend the situation).

America > the rest of Earth

yes! we can see how American football is popular around the world, just because it is the biggest (North) American sport.

or Baseball...

or hockey....

yeah... you got a point!:redface:

Never watched it. But I'm guessing that's because it's also a glamour thing when Janet Jackson and Titty gate.

In Europe they never review any American football apart from the superbowl (at midnight).

Well they must not cover Rugby either because it's not even on this list of most popular sports overall across the world.

bFDRdFC.jpg

So no it's not a "glamour thing" the sport itself without the Super Bowl is still more popular than Rugby.

Give up man. There's a million sources that show American football is watched more than rugby.

Back