Coker: We are not going to overpay to get UFC fighters (Ex: Sterling)

Don't be so short sighted ....

Fox (Rupert Murdoch) is in talks to buy out The Ferritas 80% Dana White's 9%, do you really think the UFC is going to keep growing under Fox ownership?

Bellator is owned by Viacom the Super Corporation, they have money for days....in the end it will be Fox Vs. Viacom vying for MMA fans money ....two massively evil corporations that have their hands deep in over media content being distributed to the consumers in the U.S.

Source on the potential Fox buyout?

And just because Viacom has the money, doesn't mean they think it's worth it to them to pour it into Bellator. I'm not saying that things couldn't change. Viacom could suddenly get a wild hair and give Coker a blank check. They could just as easily decide they're done with the MMA business or simply make it and even smaller priority.

In the end it's speculation, and not even speculation based on some kind of clear trend.

I don't understand why everyone on here acts like Sterling is some type of draw. He's a great fighter but most people don't give a shit about the BW division

Not saying anything about Sterling. Says more about Coker's view that Bellator is limited in how big it can build a fighter. They need those UFC vets to build cards around.

And just because Viacom has the money, doesn't mean they think it's worth it to them to pour it into Bellator. I'm not saying that things couldn't change. Viacom could suddenly get a wild hair and give Coker a blank check. They could just as easily decide they're done with the MMA business or simply make it and even smaller priority.

In the end it's speculation, and not even speculation based on some kind of clear trend.

Bellator is cheap programming for Spike and Spike is not doing that great as a network.
If anything, the belt is tightened, not loosened.

In every org a fighter is going to be worth what they can bring in viewers. Sometimes that value is going to be completely unfair to the quality of the fighter trying to score a better contract. Case in point, Sterling. He's a tough sell to the casual audience. Not that he should be, he's just not well known enough yet.

In every org a fighter is going to be worth what they can bring in viewers. Sometimes that value is going to be completely unfair to the quality of the fighter trying to score a better contract. Case in point, Sterling. He's a tough sell to the casual audience. Not that he should be, he's just not well known enough yet.

I agree. I just hope this brings some reality to all those that thought Bellator was going to steal every fighter that runs out their UFC deal.

I feel like they're gonna have to overpay a time or two to really start moving toward being realistic competition for the UFC. Signing all their has-beens isn't gonna cut it. I mean I know people will watch, but their big event tonight is a fight between two guys who for all intents and purposes have been done for nearly 20 years, and two guys who were fighting in backyards a few years ago.

Last edited:
I feel like they're gonna have to overpay a time or two to really start moving toward being realistic competition for the UFC. Signing all their has-beens isn't gonna cut it. I mean I know people will watch, but they're big event tonight is a fight between two guys who for all intents and purposes have been done for nearly 20 years, and two guys who were fighting in backyards a few years ago.

If it draws ratings and the cost is not a negative for Viacom, then that is all they care about.
Viacom isn't looking to go after UFC, just getting ratings for minimal cost.

Cbid_LPUcAAmaRD.png

Maybe Sterling should have carried around a sledgehammer to move Coker's needle.

How about sponsorship money? Thought rebook deal will have fighters signing up with bellator?
Established fighters who have a name sponsors want might find themselves with a better situation in Bellator, IE Benson Henderson. The UFC by far is the place to be for fighters breaking onto the scene. Way better intro pay, much more exposure, etc.

I know your response was directed at anyone (if there have been) predicting some type of mass exodus but nobody informed is claiming that. Bellator will be looking for #5-#15 guys with good reps. The UFC will pay what it needs to in order to keep its top 5.

Sterling thinks a little too highly of himself IMO. Look at guys like DJ, they dominate completely but most wouldn't pay a ppv just to watch him.
I saw a tweet by him in an MMA article where he made a comment after the Reebok deal came out basically saying it was a good thing and he wouldn't whore himself out to 4 different companies to look all Nascar.

So I was surprised they low-balled him and had been putting him on prelims. Normally they reward that kind of thing, when a fighter breaks from his other fighters and sides with management. Sounds like on top of it he got himself caught in quite a mess where he overpriced himself out of both markets.

He may be a good fighter but I haven't been very impressed with how he handles the business side. The guy needs an adviser or a new one.

It just keeps getting better and better for the UFC.

This is why it's a joke that Bellator will ever truly compete with the UFC. Same with ONE FC and others. They won't pay $40/40K for a young legit top 5 in the world fighter if he doesn't have a big name yet. They don't want the top talent they have to build themselves.

He'd rather spend probably 10x as much for some dinosaur 1990's MMA legend to participate in a circus sideshow match with someone like Kimbo or another fighter who should have retired 20 years ago.

Coker has always had the wrong mentality, having some ancient well-known name in your organization doesn't help make it into a legit top MMA organization, having fighters like Sterling does.

Last edited:
Sometimes I think Bellator cares more about a fighter's name than their actual fighting ability.

Lol sometimes? If Bellator could get twice the ratings by replacing every single legit fighter they had with Street fighters they'd do it in a second

Back