Coker: We are not going to overpay to get UFC fighters (Ex: Sterling)

I saw a tweet by him in an MMA article where he made a comment after the Reebok deal came out basically saying it was a good thing and he wouldn't whore himself out to 4 different companies to look all Nascar.

So I was surprised they low-balled him and had been putting him on prelims. Normally they reward that kind of thing, when a fighter breaks from his other fighters and sides with management. Sounds like on top of it he got himself caught in quite a mess where he overpriced himself out of both markets.

He may be a good fighter but I haven't been very impressed with how he handles the business side. The guy needs an adviser or a new one.
They offered him a new contract he would not sign it. They knew at that point he might be trouble later so they kept him on prelims.

They offered him a new contract he would not sign it. They knew at that point he might be trouble later so they kept him on prelims.
He wouldn't sign it? This guy just played himself. It is crazy to me he thought he was going to leverage a good but widely unknown start this soon into his career. His weighclass alone should have told him make a name for yourself first and then start negotiating.

I know he was getting praise from a lot of insiders as a hot prospect but that doesn't translate into being a draw or being worth more to the company. I almost always side with the fighters but Sterling let his ego get the best of him.

Fox (Rupert Murdoch) is in talks to buy out The Ferritas 80% Dana White's 9%

Source?

Bellator is owned by Viacom the Super Corporation, they have money for days....in the end it will be Fox Vs. Viacom vying for MMA fans money ....two massively evil corporations that have their hands deep in over media content being distributed to the consumers in the U.S.

Viacom might not remotely care about Bellator, which is a Spike property. Spike just got a major downgrade being pushed off standard cable packages in many markets.

Also worth noting Viacom is the 6th largest cable conglomerate. They are not the big dogs on the block. Fox is literally more than double the size of Viacom in terms of Revenue. Comcast is more than five times the revenues of Viacom.

Neo Bellator seems more interested in securing aging UFC cast offs who have name recognition but are declining, as opposed to developing in-house talent or creating their own stars. It's great for short-term revenue but guarantees they'll always be second-string to the UFC.

Snagging Sterling for a smaller sum now and developing his career could have seen real benefits for Bellator.

Source?

Viacom might not remotely care about Bellator, which is a Spike property. Spike just got a major downgrade being pushed off standard cable packages in many markets.

Also worth noting Viacom is the 6th largest cable conglomerate. They are not the big dogs on the block. Fox is literally more than double the size of Viacom in terms of Revenue. Comcast is more than five times the revenues of Viacom.
Good info. I did not realize the disparity was that much, especially between them and Comcast.

Neo Bellator seems more interested in securing aging UFC cast offs who have name recognition but are declining, as opposed to developing in-house talent or creating their own stars. It's great for short-term revenue but guarantees they'll always be second-string to the UFC.

Snagging Sterling for a smaller sum now and developing his career could have seen real benefits for Bellator.

Viacom is fine with Bellator being 2nd string to UFC

Viacom is fine with Bellator being 2nd string to UFC
As long as they aren't losing money, sure. But for MMA as a sport it would be better for a second good organisation to be growing and developing talent.

Probably better for Viacom long-term too, though I get that isn't in the company's strategy.

As long as they aren't losing money, sure. But for MMA as a sport it would be better for a second good organisation to be growing and developing talent.

Probably better for Viacom long-term too, though I get that isn't in the company's strategy.

Yep, Viacom is only looking for cheap programming for Spike.
With them being downgraded, the budget will most likely be less (not more) than it has.
There is a good and bad side to being owned by a network.
The bad side to being owned by Spike, is they are not in it for "sport" as much as being owned by Fox or ESPN would be.

Don't be so short sighted ....

Fox (Rupert Murdoch) is in talks to buy out The Ferritas 80% Dana White's 9%, do you really think the UFC is going to keep growing under Fox ownership?

Bellator is owned by Viacom the Super Corporation, they have money for days....in the end it will be Fox Vs. Viacom vying for MMA fans money ....two massively evil corporations that have their hands deep in over media content being distributed to the consumers in the U.S.
There was heavy money behind USFL too and they flopped. Market saturation and NFL blue chip name (familiarity) killed them. I think same situation exists in MMA at this time. UFC is MMA like NFL was football for 90% of fans. It's just too late.

There was heavy money behind USFL too and they flopped. Market saturation and NFL blue chip name (familiarity) killed them. I think same situation exists in MMA at this time. UFC is MMA like NFL was football for 90% of fans. It's just too late.

I disagree.
UFC is nowhere near the popularity NFL was when USFL started.
There can certainly be a good contender to UFC, but it will take money, time and resources.
As of now that is not Viacom's goal though.

Bellator should have grabbed them all, no self respecting fighter will go there after tonight, gawd damn.

After tonight, he should over pay any and all UFC free agents.

He wouldn't sign it? This guy just played himself.
Yeah I think it was 2 fights ago. They offered a new contract, he wanted more and would not sign it, so they buried him on prelims. Fought the contract out, tried to use Bellator to get more money, and realized he overplayed his hand.

I disagree.
UFC is nowhere near the popularity NFL was when USFL started.
There can certainly be a good contender to UFC, but it will take money, time and resources.
As of now that is not Viacom's goal though.
I'm not talking about popularity. Just the history of how the public likes there to be only one "league" How both the American and National leugues merged in both baseball and football and got even more popular/successful down to the teams. How NFL buried USFL despite billionaires owning USFL teams and with #1 draft picks. I believe fans actually likes the fact that there is only one league. Its easier to think about and it's a clear path to having a real champion. I think UFC has that natural monopoly over mind share now and it's too late. 2005 okay not now.

Yahh paying Kimbo Kenoldrock and 5000 dada is soooooooooooooooo much better an idea.

From a financial point of view I can understand why they wouldnt overpay for sterling.

You're joking, right? He's more marketable than that guy that lost recently, page northcutt.

The manlet divisions are a hard sell, so he shouldn't be too picky.
It's like if Muggsy Bogues asked for Larry Johnson money just coz they were in the same team.

Yeah why do that when we can hire geriatrics and street fighters with no cardio

I'm not talking about popularity. Just the history of how the public likes there to be only one "league" How both the American and National leugues merged in both baseball and football and got even more popular/successful down to the teams. How NFL buried USFL despite billionaires owning USFL teams and with #1 draft picks. I believe fans actually likes the fact that there is only one league. Its easier to think about and it's a clear path to having a real champion. I think UFC has that natural monopoly over mind share now and it's too late. 2005 okay not now.

I understand your point, but popularity plays into it.
There is also a huge difference in team sports.
It is harder to get an NFL fan to care about another league if there are no teams he feels a bond with.
There are very few top draws in UFC right now, so another company can be competitive easier than a league going up against NFL or MLB, where you have teams that have huge fanbases.
Like I said, Bellator is not the one due to Viacom's interest only being cheap programming, but if they truly wanted to go after Zuffa's stranglehold, they would have a better shot than the USFL did.

I wonder what they thought Sterling was worth?
10/10?
The Goat say 5/5
1412175693conorgif.gif

Back