Coker: We are not going to overpay to get UFC fighters (Ex: Sterling)

Source?

Viacom might not remotely care about Bellator, which is a Spike property. Spike just got a major downgrade being pushed off standard cable packages in many markets.

Also worth noting Viacom is the 6th largest cable conglomerate. They are not the big dogs on the block. Fox is literally more than double the size of Viacom in terms of Revenue. Comcast is more than five times the revenues of Viacom.

A bit outdated, but a nice info-graph breaking down the Media and who is in Control of the content we are viewing.

media-infographic.jpg

I understand your point, but popularity plays into it.
There is also a huge difference in team sports.
It is harder to get an NFL fan to care about another league if there are no teams he feels a bond with.
There are very few top draws in UFC right now, so another company can be competitive easier than a league going up against NFL or MLB, where you have teams that have huge fanbases.
Like I said, Bellator is not the one due to Viacom's interest only being cheap programming, but if they truly wanted to go after Zuffa's stranglehold, they would have a better shot than the USFL did.
Fair point about the difference between teams vs fighter bonding but even then if Viacom made a run at UFC a merger would be beneficial for both sides as history shows with American and National leagues in both football and baseball to put more butt in the seats and avoid confusion.

"There can be only one"

Fair point about the difference between teams vs fighter bonding but even then if Viacom made a run at UFC a merger would be beneficial for both sides as history shows with American and National leagues in both football and baseball to put more butt in the seats and avoid confusion.

"There can be only one"

Different argument now ;)

But it is moot, since I doubt anybody will care enough to go after UFC.

Smart decision. I could not pick Sterling out of a lineup, despite being a huge mma fan. No reason for Bellator to give him big bucks when he won't draw.

I expect Bellator to take a huge hit after this.

I can't describe how terrible their 2 top fights were on free TV. The MMA community is laughing at this farce.

Loling at most of the people in the previous Sterling threads thinking UFC was underpaying him by so much and how they were in danger of losing someone so important.

A bit outdated, but a nice info-graph breaking down the Media and who is in Control of the content we are viewing

1) That info graphic is outdated and useless (read: inaccurate)
2) of the 6 media conglomerates, Viacom is the smallest
3) More specifically, half the revenue of Fox, and 1/5th the revenue of Comcast

4) You said Rupert Murdoch was in negotiations to buy Zuffa. I asked for source, still waiting

I mean he needs that money if he's going to keep Kimbo around

Don't be so short sighted ....

Fox (Rupert Murdoch) is in talks to buy out The Ferritas 80% Dana White's 9%, do you really think the UFC is going to keep growing under Fox ownership?

Bellator is owned by Viacom the Super Corporation, they have money for days....in the end it will be Fox Vs. Viacom vying for MMA fans money ....two massively evil corporations that have their hands deep in over media content being distributed to the consumers in the U.S.

lol at thinking viacom is going to invest all of their money in bellator. bellator is owned by viacom, not the other way around. if mma isnt performing theyre just going to write it off like the countless amount of cancelled cable programming that gets forgotten about every year

You said Rupert Murdoch was in negotiations to buy Zuffa. I asked for source, still waiting

Me too.
TBF, I would not be shocked if Fox bought out Zuffa, but I think it would be big news if this was already reported

They would rather put Kimbo vs Dada 5000 and Ken vs Royce but don't want to sign a guy who is a legit up and comer

This is a recipe for failure

They would rather put Kimbo vs Dada 5000 and Ken vs Royce but don't want to sign a guy who is a legit up and comer

This is a recipe for failure

Depends what you are going for.
They are owned by Spike and all Spike cares about are ratings.
They don't seem into it for the long haul and greater good of MMA.

Sterling just needs a good push by the UFC. Bad booking not putting him over more, star in the making just needs a chance to grab the brass ring. Would be best for business.

Sterling is a solid fighter, but he does nothing to market himself, his fights, or the sport.

Actually he did a lot in the free agency period to get his name out there IMO

His logic is completely backwards.

He only marketed himself when he was whining about being broke.

If he would hype himself and his fights, he would earn alot more.

Most people on this forum, when he has a fight scheduled, don't even know who his opponent is.

People could say other fighters are ducking him, because he is good, but in reality they duck him because he is a good fighter that most casuals have no clue about. They get nothing out of beating him, aside from respect.

His logic is completely backwards.

He only marketed himself when he was whining about being broke.

If he would hype himself and his fights, he would earn alot more.

Most people on this forum, when he has a fight scheduled, don't even know who his opponent is.

People could say other fighters are ducking him, because he is good, but in reality they duck him because he is a good fighter that most casuals have no clue about. They get nothing out of beating him, aside from respect.

I understand all that.
But I think he is a bigger name now than he was 6 months ago, so he is going in the right direction.

Actually he did a lot in the free agency period to get his name out there IMO
Yea I don't know what that guy is talking about. Sterling is doing more than "nothing" to get his name out there, but there's only so much exposure you can get with only four fights in the UFC (which were buried on the prelims).

Back