CM Punk was well rounded for a beginner (gif proof)

I did MMA for 8 years and I've seen hundreds of live ammy fights with guys who've trained less than two years (Punk's training length prior to his debut), and I can tell you first hand that not only is Punk not UFC calibre (der), but he is quite bad even for an amateur level. I've seen guys with 6 months training, without much in the way of natural athleticism, put on MUCH better performances. Considering he trained for 2 years before his debut, his performances were not only embarrassing for a UFC fight, but bad for a regional level pro fight. There is no way any of the local promotors around would have given him a pro fight if he wasn't famous. None of the big gyms around here would have even put him forward for a pro fight. It just wouldn't happen.

If Rufus had any integrity (and not just looked at the commission they would have got for his UFC fights), they should have told him at the 6 month mark that he would not be worthy of a UFC fight. In 6 months you can generally see how a would-be fighter is in general and where their ceiling might be. You can usually find that out in a month.

I'd say good on you punk for giving it a crack, but he should have signed to a smaller show if he really wanted to give pro MMA fighting a go. I know he brought a lot of WWE eyes on him, but ultimately it was a slap in the face to other REAL ufc fighters who saw his spot on the main card, his purse, and his actual fighting ability. He turned the sport into a joke with those performances.

TS is trolling everyone with his threads lately, but they are actually funny as hell rather than bash/hateful troll threads.

tenor.gif

@13 others

That CM Punk crap was sad... Props to the guy for trying and stepping into the octagon, but he didn't belong here. The UFC should be ashamed, and the morons even gave him a second fight!

His knees were in the ground. He was using a wrap technique like a 7 year old girl to try and trip him.
Technically khabib does the same thing as well. Shooting for doubles in open space with knees on the canvas.

I thought it was a nice takedown from a beginner IMO

I did MMA for 8 years and I've seen hundreds of live ammy fights with guys who've trained less than two years (Punk's training length prior to his debut), and I can tell you first hand that not only is Punk not UFC calibre (der), but he is quite bad even for an amateur level. I've seen guys with 6 months training, without much in the way of natural athleticism, put on MUCH better performances. Considering he trained for 2 years before his debut, his performances were not only embarrassing for a UFC fight, but bad for a regional level pro fight. There is no way any of the local promotors around would have given him a pro fight if he wasn't famous. None of the big gyms around here would have even put him forward for a pro fight. It just wouldn't happen.

If Rufus had any integrity (and not just looked at the commission they would have got for his UFC fights), they should have told him at the 6 month mark that he would not be worthy of a UFC fight. In 6 months you can generally see how a would-be fighter is in general and where their ceiling might be. You can usually find that out in a month.

I'd say good on you punk for giving it a crack, but he should have signed to a smaller show if he really wanted to give pro MMA fighting a go. I know he brought a lot of WWE eyes on him, but ultimately it was a slap in the face to other REAL ufc fighters who saw his spot on the main card, his purse, and his actual fighting ability. He turned the sport into a joke with those performances.

Good post but just think about the 500k and huge comission for Rufus. At this point every "criticism" went out of the window and most would do so. It was never about making it in mma for Punk. He really is as delusional in real life so I give him the first few days but Rufus definitely gave him a reality check and begged him to wait a lot longer to take the fight. This was all Punk and imo he knew he wouldnt make it on a regional level.

And agree with you about his. Level. You dont even need to go to regional pro level. Many amateur level entry fighters are way better. Most mma beginners have a background in one ma. I really would have a hard time finding someone as bad as Punk. Would have to be some middle aged beginner without any background in ma.

I thought cm punk was supposed to have ju jitsu that guard pull to guillotine was sad

Legit, im a bjj blue belt, competed in muay thai 4 years and I think I could beat him. No sherbro BS. Id bet on it. 6'4 205 for the haters. Im not UFC caliber, neither is he. His technique is bad man, on all levels. I will give him props for trying and stepping in there though, more power to him.

Legit, i'm a bjj purple belt, competed in kickboxing 8 years and I think I could beat you. No sherbro BS. Id bet on it. 6'5 235 for the haters. Im not UFC caliber, neither are you. Your technique is probably still below average, on all levels. I will give you props for trying and stepping in there though, more power to you.

I've not seen much regional level MMA, but I've watched a lot of Bellator prelims over the years, and those shows are often populated with fighters with very little experience. I can't think of any of them that looked as bad as Punk did in the cage. And Punk is still listed on the UFC site as being on the roster.

Legit, im a bjj blue belt, competed in muay thai 4 years and I think I could beat him. No sherbro BS. Id bet on it. 6'4 205 for the haters. Im not UFC caliber, neither is he. His technique is bad man, on all levels. I will give him props for trying and stepping in there though, more power to him.

No doubt, but after 2 years of preparation for Gall and then another 2 years of preparation for Jackson, shouldn't he have looked better than what he showed in the octagon?

He's actually pretty good as a commentator

His failed attempt at being a fighter probably allowed him to at least be taken seriously on the mic

Obviously he wasn't great but for a beginner he was really well rounded and was probably the toughest guy in a lot of situations in his personal life like a family bbq or pick up soccer game but this is the pros.

He should have focused on one discipline only before his debut. We can see he had fundamentals already so he should of refined one part of his game. Sort of like Cro Cops head kick or McGregors left hand etc. Had he had that one "deadly" weapon to fall back on like a sick ground game or kickboxing then he could have beat Jackson or been more competitive.

Obviously a quick learner as he showed some nice kickboxing looks
FelineCleanIrishwaterspaniel-size_restricted.gif

He showed some good sub attempts and locked in a guillotine, albeit briefly, then pulled Jackson down into guard. Decent BJJ skillset too
9fjx6d82pj311.gif

I heard punk showed promise in the gym according to his muay thai coach. We can see that his clinch is developed and even threw a nice knee in it. Jackson couldn't get out that easily.
g5573fv5ot611.gif

Punk is naturally strong and has obviously wrestled before at a low level. He hit this really nice TD on Jackson before doing some top work.

giphy.gif

Finally, CM Punk had some nice boxing skills for a beginner too. He hits Jackson here with a well timed non telegraphed cross and then backs him up with a jab. Jackson was in a bit of trouble there.

giphy.gif
I like the "wrap my arm around your neck and hang on you" technique, very effective

Legit, i'm a bjj purple belt, competed in kickboxing 8 years and I think I could beat you. No sherbro BS. Id bet on it. 6'5 235 for the haters. Im not UFC caliber, neither are you. Your technique is probably still below average, on all levels. I will give you props for trying and stepping in there though, more power to you.
You probably would but I dont see why you are so worked up. Ill Im saying is that he gave it a shot and deserves props for that but BJJ was beginner and his striking is horrendous. Whats so hard to comprehend about that? You got turned down by a date last night?

Last edited:
No doubt, but after 2 years of preparation for Gall and then another 2 years of preparation for Jackson, shouldn't he have looked better than what he showed in the octagon?
absoultely, thats the point I was making when Rizin got butthurt.

I think a lot of that stuff just kind of happened for him

Back