CM Punk was well rounded for a beginner (gif proof)

I would've loved to see Punk put against some crazy favela BB who wants hespeckkkk.

Agreed. On the same note, this is a solid thread and a great addition to our forum.
giphy.gif

A little more training and I feel he would have been a decent fighter. I always wished him well

Fucking annoying troll
Can't believe the mods haven't banned your lame ass with your lame gimmick

A little more training and I feel he would have been a decent fighter. I always wished him well

It was pretty unfair the expectations. After watching Lesnar be successful made it look not that hard but he had a lot of wrestling experience. He was just a new fighter who needed some experience in the regional scene before being considered for UFC.

I'm honestly surprised he ever managed to become a pro wrestler let alone a highly successful one despite his terrible athleticism.

Yeah he sucked... but he did get in there and he did it twice. One time after getting his ass beat and humuliated. That demands some respect imo

Bas Rutten checks under his bed for CM Punk before he goes to sleep at night

In his defence, anyone with bad knees can tell you one of his major problems is either one of his knees or both of his knees are completely shot. No fluidity to the way they even bend just even when he’s changing levels for a TD. Not that better knees would make him any good, I’m just saying, you can visually see the stiffness.

Maybe if He worked in MMA earlier, he could've been good but he's around 40 and His body is of course damaged from His pro wrestling history

I legitimately gave him the first round of their fight. If his cardio was better in the 2nd he could have maybe pulled a 29-28 but he gassed so hard

I legit can't tell if you are trolling, but I'll bite.

Obviously a quick learner as he showed some nice kickboxing looks
No, just no. I proper leg kick starts high and goes low, like an axe swing. He's kicking from low (like a head kick) and he wasn't putting his hips into it, which is where all the power comes from. Lastly, his distance management is shocking - Jackson only needed to take a very small step back to avoid completely.
FelineCleanIrishwaterspaniel-size_restricted.gif

He showed some good sub attempts and locked in a guillotine, albeit briefly, then pulled Jackson down into guard. Decent BJJ skillset too
This is your worst observation. That is the worst guillotine attempt in UFC history, literally. Your shoulders need to be ABOVE the opponent's head to even attempt a guillotine. They were standing at head level with each other. He then makes an even weirder mistake and goes to pull guard, without the pulling, hence why Jackson was still standing with Punk wrapped around him in some completely bogus position. He didn't pull guard - Jackson simply dropped down on his own accord, That is head-snakingly bad from start to finish. Embarrassing even.
9fjx6d82pj311.gif

I heard punk showed promise in the gym according to his muay thai coach. We can see that his clinch is developed and even threw a nice knee in it. Jackson couldn't get out that easily.
That is also a terrible clinch. Your elbows should be bent so that you're closer and your centre of gravity is at the elbow, that allows your weight to be the factor pulling at the head. His arms straight. All he's achieving here is keeping Jackson tied up to some extent. Also, while the knee was OK, he jumped to do it, which again is due to the fact he doesn't have him in a proper thai clinch. There's waaaay less power in a jumping knee, as your other foot isn't planted to base the attack. It's the same reason you need to 'plant your feet' when throwing strikes. All the power disappears when you are aerial.
g5573fv5ot611.gif

Punk is naturally strong and has obviously wrestled before at a low level. He hit this really nice TD on Jackson before doing some top work.
This is easily his most impressive move, but still incorrect at a fundamental level. When shooting a single or double, only one knee is supposed to make contact with the ground. I rally don't need to explain the hazards of having both knees on the ground when shooting.

giphy.gif

Finally, CM Punk had some nice boxing skills for a beginner too. He hits Jackson here with a well timed non telegraphed cross and then backs him up with a jab. Jackson was in a bit of trouble there.
This wasn't too bad for Punk, but his follow up jabs were ugly...his elbow is out, and if you're doubling your punches as you're backpedaling, you really should alternate punches as your stance is changing with each step.

giphy.gif

In both octagon outings, Punk didn't show anything that looked remotely good at a fundamental level. He's just not a good fighter.

Yeah he never should have been in the ufc. It was pretty embarrassing.

Back