Cleto Reyes Safetec 10oz

I think 8oz is pushing it. I think 10 is the lowest I could stomach going. Even though a converter would bring it up to 10...the padding is important too and I would think 10oz would be much better all around as a glove.

That's still only 11-12 oz. only (with the converters). Moreover the converters will balance the gloves (since naturally these are a bit front loaded), so you would hardly notice those 1-2 oz. difference.

Blair said in his review he thinks the leather would not last on heavy bag much since it is much softer than the leather in Reyes training gloves. What is your guess?

Not quite, I said in regards to using the gloves on the heavy bag (taken from my initial review):

The fight gloves leather is the same thickness as the others, but as you pointed out- it already feels broken in. The padding on the horsehair ones is obviously very soft and so the leather kind of "ripples" after a few rounds of use (same as my Winnings too). They're awesome, and the Safe-Tecs are great as well.

And regarding their performance on the heavy bag specifically:

I think if you used them on the bag they would get worn out in a matter of months. For the mitts you'd get a lot more longevity out of them.

I would definately suggest a pair of 12oz Reyes training gloves (in velcro or lace-up) for heavy bag use as the padding will be a lot more durable and the gloves a little more versatile for everyday training.

Strato hit the nail on the head:

The leather is a bit softer but its pretty much the same. I think it has to do with the foam really.

That is correct, it's to do with the foam.

So the softness was purely regarding the padding, not the leather?

However blair, in the review link strato posted you indeed did say you could safely/easily use safetec for all 3...was it a different review you said that the bag would wear the padding out?

edit* @shihtzu good idea about the front loaded thing + converter...you have a point. Could be useful too since sometimes i do train along. Adds a touch of customization as well...we'll see.

So the softness was purely regarding the padding, not the leather?

Yes definately. Reyes leather as you know is amazing, i cant imagine it breaking down from any kind of use really.

However blair, in the review link strato posted you indeed did say you could safely/easily use safetec for all 3...was it a different review you said that the bag would wear the padding out?

In the same review in the comments below, I answered Gus's (GHVA) question regarding bag work.

You could use them on the heavy bag, but it's important to remember they are fight gloves after all so they will wear out with use.

Reyes said the Safe-Tecs were designed to last 200 (I think) times more than regular fight gloves.

Even with that maths, your talking about a glove designed to perform optimally up to maybe 1000 rounds. If you using them on a heavy bag, 1000 rounds is the workload for a boxer over the course of 2-3 months (depending on when you are peaking).

I asked Mike from Lockwoods the same question a long time ago, I'll see if i can dig up the response.

So yes, you can use Safe-Tec for all 3 but bag work is always going to wear gloves down quickly.

Ah, sorry, my fault. Thank you for clearing that up!

No problem my friend, an innocent mistake, my review was a bit all over the place trying to cover 3 gloves at once lol!

I was probably too excited and distracted by the tarantula in the box!

No problem my friend, an innocent mistake, my review was a bit all over the place trying to cover 3 gloves at once lol!

I was probably too excited and distracted by the tarantula in the box!

You are lucky you have had your own real (though a bit smaller) tiger that solves such cases lol Hope to get one day my own too (a tiger, not tarantula lol).

Here is the conversation I had with Mike from Lockwoods regarding the Safe-Tecs (from late 2011). It is relevant to this thread I think.

Me: Hi Mike, for working on the heavy bag and focus mitts would you reccomend the Safe-Tec fight gloves or a 10oz pair of normal training gloves?

Mike: It would be a personal prefernce issue. You would be able to ge a more solid hit with the 10 oz training gloves, oppsed to a softer hit with the Safetecs. The 10 oz training gloves will have a firmer punch zone, the Safetec have a latex padding. The 10 oz training gloves are available only in Hook and Loop, and the Safetecs are only in lace up

Me: Thanks Mike, I figured that would be the case. Would I be right in assuming that the Safe-Tecs would be more comfortable and protective but wear out a lot faster than the training gloves?

Mike: Exactly.

That's interesting! So Safetecs are latex too. And those bastards claim it is a sort of a new foam!

Its great foam, love the density. The soft type reyes foam that's thick like the safetecs are perfect for hitting stuff.

@Blair Ive been doing bag work with mine but I rotate my gloves so often ill be okay I think.

That's interesting! So Safetecs are latex too. And those bastards claim it is a sort of a new foam!

What's old is new and what is new is old isnt it? lol its always about the cheeky marketing.

@Blair Ive been doing bag work with mine but I rotate my gloves so often ill be okay I think.

Definately. It depends on how many rounds you do, if you rotate gloves and as you said earlier- what size and type of heavy bag your gym has etc etc.

They are Reyes after all so even their least durable gloves are still going to be legendary.

Hecho En Mexico FTW my brothers!

Holy cow this thread is basically brand new and its got over 300 hits already!

I always say im gonna run out of stuff to review, but I always buy new stuff.

They don't feel anything like IMF. I will double check with Juan.

Thanks. Keep us updated...I was fairly sure it is not latex. Anyway, just to reiterate...if you have no one to tape your wrist, H&L converter WILL or WILL NOT suffice? Another thing...judging by how malleable the gloves seem, have you tried chucking ng-2's in those bad boys?

It should be only RSK can answer that as he will be the one making the H&Ls for these gloves

Oh okay...you're too fast on the response..I was still editing in another question. I e-mailed rsk so i'll see. I thought H&L converters were just a standard thing...did not know it was exclusive to rsk.

It isn't but he makes the best ones based on review in his.

I mean the NG-2s are great and all but totally un-needed in like 80% of the gloves I own

Back