Cleto Reyes Safetec 10oz

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Reviews' started by StRatoCastR, Oct 13, 2013.

1. StRatoCastR

StRatoCastR Gear Tester/Reviewer

[YT]3Pxa_2bUgNc[/YT]

What up Fellas and Ladies?! Today we will be covering my favorite glove of all time! I'm pretty freaking excited as if you don't know by now, I am specifically talking about Reyes. Reyes isn't quite the best glove for all walks in boxing, but it is indeed my favorite. What makes Reyes so special? Its the hand made craftsmanship, the hard work, the leather, and yes the smell that is STILL unbeaten by any glove maker.

Ok, ok, ok! So Have I sold you on Reyes yet? Well I am an inside fighter and I love the level of protection the glove itself brings when taking shots to the back of the gloves. I always have adored the Mexican style glove, and Reyes is the Flagship of Mexican gear. Time and time again you will hear 2 names thrown around, Winning and Reyes.

Today, Ill be covering the Pro-fight glove; Safetec style.

So without further adieu, lets roll into the review!

Looks:
    What can I say, they are beautiful. The Blue is crisp, its about as "True" blue as you can get. Logo is classy and very well done. My favorite of course is the little details Reyes brings to the table. From the embossed logo on the underside of the wrist, to the stitched logo with bold threaded accents. I think Reyes never lets up and keeps their craftsmanship at top level.

I've always been a fan of Cleto Reyes leather, it really is a thing of beauty, from the smell to simply the look and feel. Anyone that doesn't rank Cletos in the top 2 really doesn't know shit about boxing. And no Fairtex will never be close or even come close.

The thumb looks WAY different than the training gloves, its long and "Winning-ish." The grip bar is exactly that, it is not tubular like 90% of the gloves out there. The stitching is Godly as always and the leather smells and looks top notch!

The Feel:
    I've had these gloves for over a week now, and for a pro-fight glove there will be pros and cons. 1st off this is THE best Reyes glove Ive ever worn as far as hand placement/compartment. The feel is an ultra tight fist, I mean I can REALLY crank down. The thumb is still slightly awkward, though it looks winning-ish when you put on the glove it still just isn't there. But it will be a MASSIVE improvement for those that hate the traditional training glove style. The thumb doesn't bother me, but I feel it needs to be addressed.

There is absolutely ZERO wrist support. It pretty much is leather, some soft foam, and liner, that's it. So, if you plan on buying these to train in, that is fine BUT you will need to dress this glove up in a FULL tape job if you plan on doing any kind of drilling on mitts or bags. PLEASE DO NOT JACK UP YOUR WRIST AND SAY I DIDNT TELL YOU SO. These are pro-fight gloves so treat them that way. Please tape your wrists fully!

The glove is Fully and completely broken in. I mean wow, as shown on the pics I am opening my hand to 100% and the glove allows this! This is the 1st and only glove to do so, some have came close but never to 100% like the safetec.

The hand compartment itself feels much, much better as well. It will give you a tiny bit of play room with wraps on, so in other words it will be snug. Unlike Reyes but like many Mexican gloves the finger compartment has 0 additional foam. So your fingers will be resting on liner and leather. Those not used to it may hate it, again had to outline this area.

Protection:
    These gloves are pretty freaking safe. I plan on using them for training. As shown on the pics the latex foam is SQUISHY! But unlike Reyes it will NOT bottom out. Very forgiving foam, it has stellar protection. These are probably the most protective and best feeling gloves at the 10oz range you can possibly get without sacrificing the feedback or get that weird springy IMF feel. Nope, I will vouch for these and say they will be the best 10oz at protection coupled with feel. The foam feels awesome its like a perfect softness without the bottoming out.

The Weight:
    9 and 7/8oz

Cost:
    $140-160 US + Shipping

Longevity:
    Unlike ALL the fight gloves out there, these will/should last as long as a standard Reyes training glove. So if you love the pro-fight feel these are probably right up your alley without shelling out cash once your normal pro-fight would normally give out. These according to Reyes are supposed to last 200x the lifespan of a traditional prefight Reyes glove which lasts roughly 30-40 rounds. So quick math you are talking about 6000 rounds... Yep... freaking awesome!

Overall:
    I love the glove, am I biased? I try not to be but I don't want to pitch this as a picture perfect glove. I think those wanting to use this as a training glove will love it. But it will be a pain as you NEED to tape the wrist. If it wasn't for the wrist, I would say this would earn an A+.

I would also like to say these are perhaps the ultimate 10oz bag and mitt glove. Like I said before it will take a lot of time for the lacing as well as full taping to prep for a work out. If you are lazy... STAY away you are only going to screw up your wrist at some point!

Final Score: 96 / A

Final Thoughts
    Biased review? I would think not but again despite me outlining some negative areas these are supposed to be used in a fight setting, so I can NOT dock the wrist because you are supposed to fully tape it anyhow. If you think that is biased I am sorry but in a pro-fight you would never NOT use tape.

For those that do not like to read (

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  2. StRatoCastR

3. shihtzu

shihtzu Purple Belt

Gorgeous gloves and equally awesome review! Many thanks!

4. StRatoCastR

damn bro you must read super fast. I think you would love these Ivan. Id put 100 bucks on it.

5. shihtzu

shihtzu Purple Belt

I laways read your reviews in one breath :)

They are truly fantastic bro! As for the wrist support... nothing that a pair of damn good wraps nad some taping would not solve.

Isaac, I have a question. Blair said in his review he thinks the leather would not last on heavy bag much since it is much softer than the leather in Reyes training gloves. What is your guess?

6. StRatoCastR

I would never question Blairs expertise, or undermine him.

But no I don't agree with that statement. As long as your heavy bag isn't taped up with duct tape or have terrible seams you will be 100% A-OK. Bags like that would rip up any glove IMO. Rule of thumb, if you wouldn't use your Winnings on something same goes for these.

The leather is a bit softer but its pretty much the same. I think it has to do with the foam really.

7. mixedmajik

mixedmajik Green Belt

Good review. Was looking forward to this. No coach i've had in the past EVER would tape gloves for you (even in sparring) so I'll definitely have to stay away despite really wanting to try. Have you tried a winning pro fight glove before strat? Maybe you could address the knuckle vs wrist protection in both of those. I'm actually surprised safetec is that protective..I never would have guessed. If you haven't got the winning pro fight gloves, maybe you could talk about the protection vs your Ringside imf pro fight gloves? I'm having a hard time fathoming safetec is more protective than even those based on how you talked about those. Cheers.

For the price though...i may get these down the line since as everyone knows, I've been interested in trying a pro fight glove just to see how comfortable and easily they fit the hand (i.e a 10oz training glove ≠ fit my hands but a 10oz fight glove probably would which excites me). Was thinking of holding off for winning pro fights...but this review has piqued my interest (re-piqued to be honest).

8. StRatoCastR

The Ringside Pro-IMFs are indeed great gloves. They still have a teenie bit of that IMF feel to them, they require very little prep time and provide stellar wrist support.

Padding wise I think the cletos take the cake because I prefer the layered over the IMF.

Both are great gloves but if you aren't used to IMF, you probably wont like it if you haven't tried it Dami.

Yes I was surprised how well the safetecs protected

9. shihtzu

shihtzu Purple Belt

I am really impressed. Seem to be great gloves indeed!

10. mixedmajik

mixedmajik Green Belt

Hmmm...if i can think of a way to get the ideal wrist support without sacrificing too much I may take a plunge for those instead of the winning pro fits simply due to the cost difference and fact i already have 12oz training gloves from winning...and have yet to try a mexican/reyes glove...enticing. You bought it from Juan?

Edit* Shihtzu brother you sound interested in trying them also haha. Considering you have the Reyes hybrid gloves in a heavier weight (therefore probably more protective) i don't know if there will be much point. Although yes...I'm very impressed...and also surprised nobody has reviewed these here before!

11. StRatoCastR

Juan can NOT distribute to the US. So no... But since you aren't in the US you can buy from him.

Edit, Im not sure but maybe RSK can fabricate a H&L supportive closure for Safetecs?
    Edit 2: Remember the RSK converters will add 2 oz.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  12. shihtzu

shihtzu Purple Belt

You know, brother, if one wants THE wrist support, the way is: TOKUSHU. Anything else is quite far.

Well, these Safetecs are tempting indeed. Who wouldn't want 10oz. protective gloves with Reyes leather and craftsmanship?!

To be honest I am not quite sure Safetec are less protective than training gloves. We should ask Strato...

So, Isaac, are how do these compare in terms of knuckle protection to your 14 oz. Reyes (when those were new) bro?

13. StRatoCastR

Safetecs are far more protective than my 14oz trainers.

14. shihtzu

shihtzu Purple Belt

This is simply awesome! Great gloves!

P.S.: I do not care that much about wrist support if I have some good wraps and also can make a great fist.

15. StRatoCastR

16. mixedmajik

mixedmajik Green Belt

Wow...big info about the 14oz vs 10oz safetec protection. Good question shihtzu and great response strat...actually not a great response because now my wallet may be opening again sooner than expected in the future -.-.

To be honest, the only time I damaged my wrist was when my laces were undone in the last 5 minutes of training and I just figured i could hit the bag for a little bit before leaving since the bus was going to be coming a little late apparently...bad idea.

Surely a safetech wrist support can't be worse than a Rival Rb2 velcro that i used for 2 years without problems so we'll see. Very tempting gloves. I was thinking of no converter just because like you said, it makes the glove 12 oz's (I already have a 12oz glove)...and why would I ever cover up that excellent craftsmanship with a converter.

P.S. Others...please feel free to join the conversation. This seems too much like a Sunday afternoon tea party between the 3 of us participating.

17. StRatoCastR

Yeah I may invest into some RSKs simply because the tape will probably rip up the leather. I don't mind adding 2oz in my case.

Damn I believe you can get them in 8oz and maybe get a converter? Making them 10.

18. shihtzu

shihtzu Purple Belt

Definitely! With the converters and wraps one would get the wrist support better than with most of the gloves and at the same time a great knuckle protection and the whole Reyes fight gloves pack: craftsmanship, leather, comfort!

19. StRatoCastR

Yeah usually I don't/wouldn't but the laces really have nothing to latch on to so I gotta measure for RSK.

I kind of took a chance on the safetecs. But they really are great gloves.

20. mixedmajik

mixedmajik Green Belt

I think 8oz is pushing it. I think 10 is the lowest I could stomach going. Even though a converter would bring it up to 10...the padding is important too and I would think 10oz would be much better all around as a glove.

Edit* Also props for giving credit to Blair and props to Blair on that review...how did I never see that before. Really good stuff.