Cleto reyes gloves

Hi

first of all i am from Mexico (sorry in advance for the horrible gramma) and i train both vale tudo and boxing in separated gyms, in my boxing gym i oftenly use castillo and reyes gloves, in the vale tudo gym we use some very generic brand of mma gloves thats why i decide to buy some gloves for myself and i just found reyes has just started to make pro mma gloves and i am pretty interest i love how they feel and work in boxing,but has anybody use the mma version of reyes gloves?

thanks in advance

by the way i just saw theyre around 80 dlls on websites of the USA in Mexico they cost 600 pesos (53 dlls aprox.)

i couldnt make a thread of this, for some reason sherdog system is being an ass towards me.

If Reyes makes MMA gloves I bet they are top quality. Fuck, I'm excited about that. I want some now, but unfortunately I just got a new pair of gloves as a gift, and I've still got a lot of wear on my Fairtex gloves....but, then again, you can never have too many gloves right?

If Reyes makes MMA gloves I bet they are top quality. Fuck, I'm excited about that. I want some now, but unfortunately I just got a new pair of gloves as a gift, and I've still got a lot of wear on my Fairtex gloves....but, then again, you can never have too many gloves right?

here is a link of them on combatsports Cleto Reyes Pro MMA Gloves from Combatsports.com

REY-GRAP.JPG

i have seen ebay and original mexican reyes gloves seem a bit overexpensive at our national price i may try to sell some myself pretty soon

here is a link of them on combatsports Cleto Reyes Pro MMA Gloves from Combatsports.com

REY-GRAP.JPG

i have seen ebay and original mexican reyes gloves seem a bit overexpensive at our national price i may try to sell some myself pretty soon

Reyes start at 100 in the states. I'd definitely be up to picking up a few for resale. If you are serious about that let me know bro. Definitely interested.

Yeah brotha, I definitely felt the density on my face. :icon_chee

The sparring partner was a guy I usually let tee off on me so I can work on being in bad situations, but I had to keep my head out of the way with those bad boys. It took getting used to.

It's weird that they're marketed as sparring gloves, because after hitting and getting hit by them, I feel they'd actually make better bag/mitt gloves. You could smash a guy's nose easily with those babies. :D When I first got them, I didn't have any really good sparring gloves on hand to compare to, but now that I have, the difference in foam density is telling.

It's weird that they're marketed as sparring gloves, because after hitting and getting hit by them, I feel they'd actually make better bag/mitt gloves. You could smash a guy's nose easily with those babies. :D When I first got them, I didn't have any really good sparring gloves on hand to compare to, but now that I have, the difference in foam density is telling.

Yeah bro, those are a pair of "What the fu...Who the fuck?" gloves. I've got a tough face, and those kind of shocked me into throwing a few liver shots to get my boy to calm down some. They definitely feel like they protect the hands very well. I would pick some up but I've got too many pairs as is....then again, can you have too many gloves?

I know you shouldn't be going hard anyway, about 60-70% when sparring, but I hear that the foam on the Reyes has little give/cushion, & therefore isn't nice for your partners face and causes cuts easier than other gloves...Is this true? I eagerly await your review Cross, how long should I expect to wait?

Just a heads up, bro... I received the 18oz Cletos today. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow and my first impressions of the gloves. Review coming as soon as I try them out in training. Yes, I will light spar in them just to test the theory. :D

Just a heads up, bro... I received the 18oz Cletos today. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow and my first impressions of the gloves. Review coming as soon as I try them out in training. Yes, I will light spar in them just to test the theory. :D

haha your partner will not be pleased.. what color did you go with? red hook/loop or the blacks...

Sounds good can't wait. Just curious, what made you go with the 18 oz? Did you get hook & loop w/ lace or just lace? Why do they have both? Why can't they just have a plain hook & loop?

Sounds good can't wait. Just curious, what made you go with the 18 oz? Did you get hook & loop w/ lace or just lace? Why do they have both? Why can't they just have a plain hook & loop?

well i have the hook loop with lace and i like the fact it has the lace.. when i know im not going to take them off i lace them up tight for extra support.. if im going to be taking them off i leave the laces loose

I'm a heavy heavy weight, so 18oz seems about right for me. I got a pair of yellow/gold lace ups. I like the wrist support and old-school look of a pair of lace up Cleto Reyes. At any rate, I have some lace converters I can use to make them hook-n-loop for solo training on the heavy bag if I have nobody to lace them up for me (which is rare).

xDivineSoulx said:
haha your partner will not be pleased.. what color did you go with? red hook/loop or the blacks...
I'm only gonna spar to test all the talk about Cletos being bad for sparring. My main sparring gloves are Winning 18oz'ers. :)

I contacted him via email to special order these yellow lace up Cletos.

how much did you pay for the yellow to be special ordered?

I am training at wild card gym for now (Freddie Roach's gym) and many of his amatuers and pros spar with Cleto Reyes gloves and they go pretty hard too so I don't know what he thinks about them. But please, post the pics! cant wait

how much did you pay for the yellow to be special ordered?
130 bucks. The non-special order colors, black or red, cost $110. Extra 10 bucks for special ordering 18oz (took 4 weeks because they only make them when you place the order), and another 10 bucks for the special color selection (yellow, white or blue).

Honestly, I went with yellow because I already have red, blue, black and white gloves. It's not my favorite color or anything, just wanted something different.

I am training at wild card gym for now (Freddie Roach's gym) and many of his amatuers and pros spar with Cleto Reyes gloves and they go pretty hard too so I don't know what he thinks about them. But please, post the pics! cant wait

You lucky dog. I'd love to train at Wild Card. :)

That's interesting and kinda surprising to hear that they spar with Cletos. I'd thought that since Pacquiao uses Winning, most of the guys at Roach's gym would use them too. Do they use the Ringside brand Cletos?

I'll try to throw some pics up in a while. I'm having trouble with the camera (again).

I decided to post pics here instead of making a new thread. I'll wait till I'm ready for a full review before doing that.

KShaft was right about the Mexican gloves having a wider profile than the Ringsides. Check out the "head" of the gloves. Easily the widest ones of all the gloves I own.

snc16706qm3.jpg

snc16707gj3.jpg

Padding across the knuckles is thinner than other 18 oz gloves I have, but I expected that since they're Reyes gloves

snc16708hh6.jpg

Shot of the interior

snc16717ax4.jpg

Each glove seems to be branded with a serial number (or something) right into the leather itself

snc16733ae8.jpg

The gloves fit snug, but due to the wider fist, there's more space around the sides of your fingers than other snug-fit gloves. Comfortable enough, but the thumb is very stiff initially so it's hard to make a fully closed fist until you break them in, I reckon. The gloves feel great on my hands though, and I get the impression once they're fully broken in and conformed to my fists, they'll be super comfortable.

I'll try to post some side-by-side comparison pics with my other gloves later if I have time.

One of the boxers in one of the gyms I train in was right, King is the Thai version of Cleto Reyes

Except the King gloves have the thumb seam and the Cleto's do not.

One of the boxers in one of the gyms I train in was right, King is the Thai version of Cleto Reyes

Yeah, they do kinda look similar in the padding and fist design, don't they? Maybe King based their design on Cletos.

I tried on some Kings before though, and the thing I remember most was I didn't like the fit. I think it felt too tight or stiff in the wrist or palm area, can't remember exactly since it was months ago. The Reyes gloves don't seem to have the same fit issues.

I decided to post pics here instead of making a new thread. I'll wait till I'm ready for a full review before doing that.

KShaft was right about the Mexican gloves having a wider profile than the Ringsides. Check out the "head" of the gloves. Easily the widest ones of all the gloves I own.

snc16706qm3.jpg

snc16707gj3.jpg

Padding across the knuckles is thinner than other 18 oz gloves I have, but I expected that since they're Reyes gloves

snc16708hh6.jpg

Shot of the interior

snc16717ax4.jpg

Each glove seems to be branded with a serial number (or something) right into the leather itself

snc16733ae8.jpg

The gloves fit snug, but due to the wider fist, there's more space around the sides of your fingers than other snug-fit gloves. Comfortable enough, but the thumb is very stiff initially so it's hard to make a fully closed fist until you break them in, I reckon. The gloves feel great on my hands though, and I get the impression once they're fully broken in and conformed to my fists, they'll be super comfortable.

I'll try to post some side-by-side comparison pics with my other gloves later if I have time.

Thanks for the pics really beautiful gloves.

snc16706qm3.jpg

snc16707gj3.jpg

snc16708hh6.jpg

Shot of the interior

snc16717ax4.jpg

snc16733ae8.jpg

did those laces come with the gloves? my laces are not as long...

thank you for the pics. those are really nice gloves! wow, I want a pair now even though I dont need them.

most of the guys at freddie's have the ones not from ringside I think cause they look like yours, with a wider hand space and they are usually solid color on the paml side or at least solid color with a different color thumb on the palm unlike Ringside's which have a line streak across the base of the thumb on the palm side. but some guys have the ringside ones.

One more question-are these newer Cletos from mexicanfightgear/pitbullgear the same as the original quality ones they used to make? they look pretty different

did those laces come with the gloves? my laces are not as long...

Yes, the gloves came with those laces already on. Maybe they shorten the laces for the ones with velcro so it doesn't get in the way as much when they're not in use.

ASiAnVaLEtUDo said:
One more question-are these newer Cletos from mexicanfightgear/pitbullgear the same as the original quality ones they used to make? they look pretty different

After looking at the pics of older Ringside Cletos (the pics currently up on their site are the old ones, I believe), I'm pretty sure they're different from the wide-fisted Mexican market gloves from Mexicanfightgear. Those old Ringsides have the same narrower fist that their new lineup has. These gloves I have are the ones listed on the official Mexican Cleto Reyes website, Industria Reyes S.A. de C.V. , so I'd guess that this design is the traditional one and doubt it has been changed drastically for the Mexican market. I'm kinda making assumptions here though, which I don't like doing, so if somebody knows any different, feel free to chime in with any info.

I think those older model gloves from Ringside are still their own design, but their older version was probably slightly better than their new line since some people including yourself have had issues with the new gloves.

Back