Rumored Ciryl Gane turned down an interim Heavyweight championship fight against Tom Aspinall on UFC Manchester

Sir what exactly do you think an interim title is supposed to be?

By your logic we could just get rid of interim titles period and make vacant titles from the get go. Which fine, if that's what you want to do cool, but an interim title means you're the interim champion.

And guess what champions do? Hint: it's usually not fight other people for their belts. It's defending yours.
An interim title should only be created when the champ is out for injury or illness or whatever reason that caused them to pull out of the initially scheduled title fight. I don't think interims should be made if there WASN'T a scheduled fight that the champion pulled out of like if the UFC wanted a champ to fight 2 months after their last fight and then make an interim title instead of waiting the few more months or whatever for a real title fight.

Essentially, the champ has to back out of the fight, and then the two other fighters fight for an interim and they get first chance at the champ when they return. But if it's taking a long time causing the interim champ to wait forever or the champ has to pull out yet again, the interim title should not be defended. What's the point of having two concurrent title holders each defending their titles? Either there's one champion above all the division or there's not. I see in another comment you don't agree that an interim title should be a glorified #1 contender, but that's how a lot of people think they should be treated.

They aren't useless, but I don't think making them their own storyline for multiple fights should be their purpose. It's a small window in which they should serve as a solution.

Looks like the report says because around that time Ciryl is working on some kind of film/series ?

Im sorry but this guy rubs me the wrong way.
They have rode this guys dick and he simply hasn't really fulfilled expectations.

He's obviously talented as fuck, but it comes across like he just doesn't take fighting seriously.

And for you bastads that said Gane wasn't ducking Tom...Im not entirely sure about that to be honest.

Defending an interim title should be an oxymoron, what is this?

Jon's cock needs to be fluffed and Stipe needs to hit 45 yrs old before that fight happens, and since the UFC has to hold his fuckin hand like a child...they wont strip him nor will they make the rightful title fight.

So in the mean time Tom has to defend a title that's actually meant as the #1 contender title.
This company is absolutely fuckin backwards sometimes...more recently than ever sir.

Maybe I am in the minority but I like when interim champs defend their title. I know Tony got stripped but in my eyes he basically defended his interim title twice against Pettis and Cerrone. If either guy beat Tony they would've been in a title fight. Makes you seem legit in case the reigning champ is stripped and you get promoted to undisputed. Barao defended his belt twice against McDonald and Wineland before being promoted to undisputed after Cruz pulled out and was replaced by Faber. By the time he lost to TJ he had three title defenses so he was perceived not just as a true champ but one of the best guys in the sport.

He's probably getting paid alot for acting, vs. NOT getting paid alot to get punched in the face, or choked to death. Seems like an easy choice. <seedat>

Yeah why fight for a belt that isn't a belt?

Aspinall will just have to wait or ask UFC to look for a different opponent.

Maybe I am in the minority but I like when interim champs defend their title. I know Tony got stripped but in my eyes he basically defended his interim title twice against Pettis and Cerrone. If either guy beat Tony they would've been in a title fight. Makes you seem legit in case the reigning champ is stripped and you get promoted to undisputed. Barao defended his belt twice against McDonald and Wineland before being promoted to undisputed after Cruz pulled out and was replaced by Faber. By the time he lost to TJ he had three title defenses so he was perceived not just as a true champ but one of the best guys in the sport.

I understand but I think at that point why have a belt? To me it's just adding the golden bling to make it seem important and not a "mere" #1 contender fight. If you consider that often champions defend only once in a year, you'd have either a guy just carrying around a meaningless piece of leather and brass, or someone basically being champion, and at that point you should just strip the champion. Jones has beaten Gane over 13 months ago.

UFC is not making Tom the champ because the Jon vs old man stipe Gimmick fight.

And gane refused because of a series participation he is doing right now

If I said what I really felt, I'd get a card so I'ma respectfully refrain from this thread.

Really disappointed in C.Gane if this is true.
same huge gane fan and i hope he beats aspinall, but if he'd rather make a film series that's on him.

this guy is like Jon Jones to me. i kind of don't give a shit about him anymore. i think he showed his ceiling when Jon besmirched him in seconds.

Agree with you completely I think the issue some people have is that no matter how many defenses the interim champ has for some reason they don't see him as the real champ which is weird to me because right now a lot of people see aspinal as the real champ because he's had more heavyweight fights and he fought a guy on a much longer streak than Jones did. I think they're more hung up on the title of interim rather than actually looking at what's happening and who's the real champ.

Tommy Aspirin-Tylenol is strangely more likeable since that Ariel interview.

<NewGina>

same huge gane fan and i hope he beats aspinall, but if he'd rather make a film series that's on him.

Eh this is prizefighting, Gane will be retired in 10 years (or much less) and popularity's a fickle bitch, I think an MMA fighter needs to jump on any opportunity to make bank for the future.

He seems reluctant to be a fighter.

It seemed like he was just happy to get a title shot against Jones, didn’t care if he won, just happy to be there.

Now it seems like he’s content coasting off his fame and seeking out opportunities.

In what way? People view it as merely proof that you're the #1 contender, but it's supposed to be a title that's won and defended while the real champion is unable to compete.

Aspinall's title is more legit than Jones'. Aspinall has more than 1 win at HW and at least he beat a guy on a winning streak.
So much wrong here it's honestly impressive.

Gane was coming off KOing Tai when Jon beat him. Not his split decision title loss to Francis.

Aspinall is only on a 2 fight winning streak once you include the Pav interim title win which you're saying makes him more legit than Jon who's on a 1 HW fight streak amidst his 15 year unbeaten streak.

Nobody Aspinall's ever beaten is higher ranked than Gane was. Aspinall is only higher ranked than Gane right now because the ranking rules stipulate interim champs must be ranked #1.

Cry more.

It's worse than that. Theoretically, if Aspinall successfully DEFENDS the interim 'title', what happens when jones defends his belt against Stipe? I believe that will nullify both of Aspinall's interim title fights and make it completely vanish.
Randy attempted to defend his HW title against Brock a month before Nog tried to defend his interim title against Mir. Then they just had Brock and Mir unify, largely because of their existing rivalry and because it was UFC 100.

It's all make belief.

Aspinall has the real title.

Jon's paper mache belt became a joke as soon as he refused to fight top contenders and only retirees.

Neither has the real title.

Hopefully Ngganou gets around to defending it one day.

As a seperate note, Blaydes is a better fight anyway. He technically has a win over Tom, beat a legit up and comer in his last fight too.

If he retired tomorrow to pursue an acting career. I’d be fine with it. It’s obvious that he doesn’t actually like doing this. And doesn’t take the training seriously. If he did he would have spent the entire time between fighting Ngannou, and Jones improving his tdd/wrestling. But it was obvious he didn’t work on it at all.

If he can’t take the sport seriously. I can’t take him seriously.

Back