Cintron In MMA, Good for Boxing?

I think Cintron would get tapped out by a blue belt.

This may be a new concept to you, but you ever heard of this thing called "training?" Yeah its this thing that fighters and athletes do. It helps them to get better and its hard. Crazy idea huh?

It would be bad for boxing if top level guys started leaving to do MMA. But at 155 will Kermit be big enough to compete? 145 would be his calling.

It would be bad for boxing if top level guys started leaving to do MMA. But at 155 will Kermit be big enough to compete? 145 would be his calling.

Kermit doesn't have to weigh 155 to fight in the division. He can come in at 150 since he regularly fights at 147 and he'll still have the size needed.

I think he'd be a guy like Stevenson's worst nightmare.

Plus the UFC is the marquee in MMA and doesn't have a 145 division, plus he'd have to cut weight to get to 145, and while 2 pounds may not seem like much to cut you have no idea what it can take away from a guy.

Kermit doesn't have to weigh 155 to fight in the division. He can come in at 150 since he regularly fights at 147 and he'll still have the size needed.

I think he'd be a guy like Stevenson's worst nightmare.

Plus the UFC is the marquee in MMA and doesn't have a 145 division, plus he'd have to cut weight to get to 145, and while 2 pounds may not seem like much to cut you have no idea what it can take away from a guy.

Well Stevenson would be less embarrassed if Kermit punched him like BJ did because stevenson would have been out and unable to show his disappointment. Kermit does look like he's very skinny at 147. I think he'd be ok if the weight gain to 155 improved his strength a bit.

155 is the toughest weightclass in mma imo and kermit would receive loss after loss. sure he wreslted in highschool but that doesnt mean he can wrestle with some of the mosnters at 155. what does he know about submissions, kickboxing, escapes, ground and pound. sure he has potential but at 155 he wont be an elite fighter in 1 year

He has a great wrestling background.

They have to start standing and neither one of them can bang with him.

Sherk also has drug issues to work out if I'm not mistaken with the NSAC?

Plus I think BJ has seen his best days come and go.

Does Kermit still train wrestling? If so, how much time does he dedicate to wrestling? I would think very little. If you ask me, Cintron would get tooled on the ground by submission artist like Penn and Aoki. It would be interesting to see how he would do against Ishida, who is also a very good wrestler.

At 5'11 and with his broad back and long arms, I don't see him having any problems filling out at 155. However, I agree the 155 division is too stacked for him to be successful with little training. Plus, Cintron still has a bright future in boxing.

At 5'11 and with his broad back and long arms, I don't see him having any problems filling out at 155. However, I agree the 155 division is too stacked for him to be successful with little training. Plus, Cintron still has a bright future in boxing.

True.

lol@all the people stating Kermit would get "tooled" on the ground, but guys with very little BJJ backgrounds often compete in the UFC and do well.

The ground is not cryptonite to a guy who is good with his hands. He'd have more than enough money and time to invest in plenty of BJJ training. Stop acting like he's Kit Cope or Nishijima or something.

And yes he does still wrestle as part of his strength training regimen, he's said this many times.

lol@all the people stating Kermit would get "tooled" on the ground, but guys with very little BJJ backgrounds often compete in the UFC and do well.

The ground is not cryptonite to a guy who is good with his hands. He'd have more than enough money and time to invest in plenty of BJJ training. Stop acting like he's Kit Cope or Nishijima or something.

And yes he does still wrestle as part of his strength training regimen, he's said this many times.

Does Kermit have the ability to do well in MMA? Yes, definitely. But I just don't see him leaving boxing completely to persue MMA.

If he wanted to there's definitely one way he COULD go, and that's with Elite XC. Gary Shaw would make sure he's well paid, and would build a winning record against lesser competition. Shaw's ties to Boxing would insure this, and he'd see Cintron for what he is, a name, a cash cow, and if handled properly, an actual prospect.

What I'm negating is the notion people seem to have that Cintron is ground stupid. You can't be ignorant of basic ground-game principals and get as far as he did in Wrestling. He'd need a lot of remedial training, sure, but he's not ignorant on how to go about it. Hell Gomez in the WEC came from a Muay Thai background, who thought he'd be a submission machine?

Well there's no doubt that Gary Shaw could bring him into EliteXC and feed him cans to build his name up to MMA fans. But Can he compete with top fighters in about a year of training or so? I'm not so sure.

Depends on adaptability. Being not sure is understandable, but guys with lesser backgrounds have done as well as to get Title shots in MMA in less than a year. MMA's not DEEP with competition yet. The UFC LW division is, but not elsewhere.

BWT I didn't mean Shaw feed him cans only to build a record. That's not smart. He'd do well to give him mostly ground Fighters, but not ones who are ground machines. Letting Kermit get experienced over time.

Well that's the division he'd most likely be in. Not only is the UFC LW division deep, but the 155 division is deep in general. But I found something interesting...

Kevin Randleman is 16-12 in MMA. And of his 12 defeats, 6 have come via submission. And Kevin is a much more decorated wrestler than Cintron. Just some food for thought.

maybe so, but he's a better wrestler than Cintron, has ridiculous physical attributes, and looked like he had a lot of power in his hands. If he kept that fight standing he would've knocked Mir out....

What do you base that on? Have you ever seen Lesnar knock anyone out standing? Do you even know that he strikes with proper body mechanics? He is pretty musclebound. He very well may throw slow plodding shots in an arc-like motion. I've seen Mir score a knockout live (against Sims), but as powerful as Lesnar appears, there are still many question marks. Another question mark is how good his chin is. I'm sure more answers will be forthcoming the next time he fights.

About Cintron, he has some of the necessary qualifications to compete in MMA. There is a likelihood that he could excel, once he picks up some submission and takedown defense training. He would never beat a Sherk or Penn tho. Unless they were dumb enough to just slug it out, which both are too smart for. Cintron couldn't defend a takedown against Sherk no matter how much time he puts in the gym. Sherk is just a relentless cardio machine. Penn would simply submit Cintron. But I wouldn't be surprised if Penn tried to strike with Cintron, seeing as how he does have some pop in his punches. That would be a mistake obviously. Cintron could have immediate success with much of the lesser talented fighters in MMA, and I'd suspect if he wanted to entertain a career in MMA, he should focus on fighting them for atleast the first year or two of his new career path.

Good thread tho, Brook... I brought this up the other day after a friend and I watched Margarito do the trick on Citron again. Kermit needs to find something new to get the juices flowing again. A career in MMA would instantly bring his name to the forefront, and would create a new challenge for him.

Kevin Randleman is 16-12 in MMA. And of his 12 defeats, 6 have come via submission. And Kevin is a much more decorated wrestler than Cintron.

Yeah, but 36 year old Randleman has lost 7 of his last 9 fights because he's WAY past-his-prime and has had multiple serious health problems and hospital stays during the last several years.
Randleman's last 7 losses were almost all by submission while he was basically sick and past-his-prime, but his earlier 5 losses when he was at his best were not by submission (except for one). Randleman was a good fighter, and at his best, was submitted only once.
Randleman took out some really good fighters at his best.

dunno, i wrestled for 9 years, and im not sure how hs wrestling is going to translate for him, state titles or not. even with college exp the strength of wrestling in mma isnt much. at most, its upperbody control and td/top control-- what wrestling brings is more mental and conditioning, (which he already gets from boxing).

the ability to fall back on wrestling's top control is somewhat clutch, but he can flop and even be beat standing. im sure if he crosstrained a few years, and didnt hammerhouse his bjj training, he could do alright in a 145 division somewhere. he'd end up in the same position as edgar at 155, bad move. lesnar is a bad example because... well, it's heavyweight

dunno, i wrestled for 9 years, and im not sure how hs wrestling is going to translate for him, state titles or not. even with college exp the strength of wrestling in mma isnt much. at most, its upperbody control and td/top control-- what wrestling brings is more mental and conditioning, (which he already gets from boxing).

the ability to fall back on wrestling's top control is somewhat clutch, but he can flop and even be beat standing. im sure if he crosstrained a few years, and didnt hammerhouse his bjj training, he could do alright in a 145 division somewhere. he'd end up in the same position as edgar at 155, bad move. lesnar is a bad example because... well, it's heavyweight

How so? Cintron is a big guy for the welterweight division and dare I say a fairly big guy for the 155 division in MMA. I don't know many 155 guys Cintron's size in MMA. Do you? Edgar is a different story. He's a skilled little guy that lost to a good big guy last time. Edgar is a little guy at 5'5. Cintron will still be considered big standing 5'11 at 155.

and what's all this talk about him being big enough to fight at 155, the guy is one of the biggest weight cutters in the division. He was walking around 170 for the Felicniano (or however you spell his name) fight.

Back