Chris Weidman is more talented fighter than Jones.

Machida, Rockhold, and even Bisping are Weidman's most interesting fights at MW because of dat dere TDD.

Vitor is such an easy match up for Chris I don't understand why people bring it up. Vitor gets blasted on the ground by every wrestler since forever... Unless they're ancient then they get blasted.

I still thought Weidman was going to beat TRT Vitor as his weakness has always been bigger athletic wrestlers and I think Weidman is better than Couture and Tito ever were. I do agree with you on Machida and Rockhold but not Bisping, I mean he might be able to not get finished but he wouldn't be much of a challenge for Weidman.

Why just better than jones? Why not go full retard and crown Weidman the greatest fighter in this history of mankind

Weidman has better knockout power and defeated one of the best strikers MMA has ever seen on the feet. His boxing is also more technical.

Wanna reformulate that sentence?

Nah Im gonna stick with my post, read my post I said I gave Weidman an advantage in power, I won't give him the boxing advantage though. He boxed Big Tex like a christmas gift.

Don't forget about Jacare. that fight is really interesting to me especially if it goes to the ground both fighters have great BJJ.

"Talented" is definitely the right word in this instance. Hi might or might not be more talented then Jones but he definitely is talented, as is both physically, mentality and speed wise superior to most fighters. The limited set of skills he uses (and probably knows) and yet still get impressive victories proves this.

Jones seems to have a much more diverse skillsets though - may be more experience from more championship fights has something to do with it.

I dont know how good Weidman is, he seems pretty freaking unstoppable to me and I suspect he will lay some really epic beatdowns in the future while holding the belt against all of the current contenders.

But the Jon Jones beatdowns I have seen are ridiculous, especially Shogun. Weidman hasnt laid a beatdown like that on a hall of famer(yet)

Jones seems to have a much more diverse skillsets though - may be more experience from more championship fights has something to do with it.

On the feet, true. I would say Weidman prob has more tools on the ground, though. Not saying Jones is one dimensional there, I just think Weidman is so much better in BJJ. Weidmans wrestling and BJJ > Jones` wrestling and BJJ, imo.

Weidman has done more in his first set of fights than Jones did, comparatively.

He also beat one of the GOATs at a time when many thought he was at his absolute peak, which Jones cannot and will not ever be able to claim.

By acting a fool....second fight was a freak accident . Weidmans best " REAL WIN"is Mark Munoz.....and that aint saying much.

agreed, and I would favor Weidman over Jones.

b58.gif

Weidman beat Munoz and Maia - good wins, and older Anderson twice - great wins.

Jones has beaten and toyed with former lhw champs. Only Gus made it a competitive fight. Jones has shown masterful game planning and improvisation.

It is too early and a bit ridiculous to declare Weidman more talented. Another factor is that lhw is a more competitive division than mw with better, more complete fighters. This is changing now but it has played a factor when comparing Weidman's early "top 10 wins" vs Jones lack thereof in his early fights.

I haven't seen any glaring weaknesses in Weidman at all. He seems to be good everywhere. If he has a solid chin and stays injury free, he'll be the MW champ for a long time. That was one thing about Anderson's title reign, he stayed healthy and took very little damage, except for the first Sonnen fight but he barely looked fazed afterwards.

But if you think Chris should even be mentioned with Jones right now, you need to get off that dope or get some better stuff.

Define talent?

Weidman is one of the best grapplers in his division, has knocked guys clean out, including the guy everyone thought had the most granite of chins, has outwrestled everyone he's faced including NCAA champs and is the best stand-up guy in his division.

Talent usually refers to natural ability. Skill would be how well that ability is developed. Weidman's skills are comparable, but I believe Jones to be probably the best pure talent in the sport.

I think Weidman is going to lose pretty soon, if not to Machida someone else. Especially considering I think Vitor or someone like Jacare stand a better chance than Cheetah against him.

Nothing against Weidman, I just don't think he's that great as some on here think he is. Definitely not as talented as Jon Jones..

Back