Chris Weidman is more talented fighter than Jones.

Melas Chasma

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I know a lot of people might disagree, but lets see what Chris Weidman has accomplished so far in his young mma-career and in which circumstances and lets compare that to Jonathans career.

a) Weidman, by his own words, has trained mma fulltime just under 3 years. Rest of the time he has been suffering multiple kind of injuries.

"I feel like it

Last edited:
UB1eV.gif

maybe. and maybe he will fade quickly to obscurity, ala Brian Bowles. time will tell, not gifs saying deal with it.

Weidman has done more in his first set of fights than Jones did, comparatively.

He also beat one of the GOATs at a time when many thought he was at his absolute peak, which Jones cannot and will not ever be able to claim.

I know a lot of people might disagree, but lets see what Chris Weidman has accomplished so far in his young mma-career and in which circumstances and lets compare that to Jonathans career.

a) Weidman, by his own words, has trained mma fulltime just under 3 years. Rest of the time he has been suffering multiple kind of injuries.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1919448-chris-weidman-i-havent-shown-my-true-self-yet

b) Took his UFC-debut with 4 fight experience in 2 weeks notice with injured rib against Alessio Sakara who was running on a 3 fight winning streak. Won the fight by unanimous decision. Jonathan also won his first fight by unanimous decision, but it was against a lesser fighter and Jonathan was a little more experienced at the time. Gusmao left from UFC with 0-2 rekord, Sakara was 7-4 in UFC when he faced Weidman.

c) In his first 5 UFC fights Weidman won 2 top10 fighter (Munoz and Maia) and finished 3 of his opponents (Munoz, Lawlor, Bongfelt). Jonathan won his first 5 too (if you want are counting Hamill as a win) but none of his opponents were top10 and he finished just 2 of them (Jake O`Brien and Brandon Vera).

d) Won Demian Maia with 10 days notice, 32lbs weight cut and with 7 fight experience.

e) Won Anderson Silva with 9 fights experience and with a year ring rust because of a shoulder surgery. Dominated the fight and KO`d his opponent who at the time was widely considered the best striker ever in MMA. Dominated and dropped the same opponent again 6 months later.

f) With just 3 months BJJ experience, won The East Coast Grappler`s Quest competition (all 13 wins by submission) which gave him a chance to compete at ADCC 2009 in Barcelona. Lost the quarter final match at ADCC to p4p one of the best grapplers in the world in Andre Galvao after overtime by points.

Lets face it, Chris Weidman is the most talented fighter ever lived on this planet. There just isnt anyone like him who is so amazingly fast learner. He is exellent in every area of the game already, his fighting IQ is the best we have ever seen and he has improved to this point in a very short amount of time while facing multiple injuries and surgeries. Chris is the man, folks.

weid.jpg

Guiness.gif

Talent and accomplishment are two different things. As a Weidman fan, I have to say you are wrong. Weidman may end up accomplishing more (though pretty unlikely), but he is not more talented than Jones. Weidman's intangibles seem to be off the charts, but that isn't talent, either.

I legit burst out laughing when I read the thread title, I think I laughed the first time I saw it too.

Wow I couldn't imagine if Chris was underneath Jon eating his blows instead of being under Rockhold... Chris would have been done after 2 or 3 elbows max.

Deserves another bump now that the forum has calmed down.

Jon Jones is the GOAT, don't know why Weidmann kept calling him out.

Talent and accomplishment are two different things. As a Weidman fan, I have to say you are wrong. Weidman may end up accomplishing more (though pretty unlikely), but he is not more talented than Jones. Weidman's intangibles seem to be off the charts, but that isn't talent, either.

Define talent?

Weidman is one of the best grapplers in his division, has knocked guys clean out, including the guy everyone thought had the most granite of chins, has outwrestled everyone he's faced including NCAA champs and is the best stand-up guy in his division.

Shit thread from melas, one of the worst posters on Sherdog.

I remember a lot of dumb shit being posted in this thread.

I think he is, and I also like that he doesn't fight dirty, or fake humbleness or call people ***s on twitter.

This Melas guy is not just a shit poster.
He made an account bet Gus would be DC and the clown is still lurking around here.

Define talent?

Weidman is one of the best grapplers in his division, has knocked guys clean out, including the guy everyone thought had the most granite of chins, has outwrestled everyone he's faced including NCAA champs and is the best stand-up guy in his division.

You basically just described Jon jones, aside from knocking guys clean out

Eh, its fighting sooner or later you will make a mistake and opponent will capitalize on it.

I believe Chris will be back strong, but that fight with Jon is hard to imagine now.. I don't think it would be competitive at this point with Jon getting bigger and Chris with the under 200 lbs move.

Jones beats every single fighter Weidman has ever beaten, I can't say the same for Weidman against all of Jones opponents. Jones is taller, has better reach, uses wrestling just as well, has better striking. I only give Weidman an advantage in power. If Weidman strangles Machida like a chicken in a few months then talk to me.

Jones beats every single fighter Weidman has ever beaten, I can't say the same for Weidman against all of Jones opponents. Jones is taller, has better reach, uses wrestling just as well, has better striking. I only give Weidman an advantage in power. If Weidman strangles Machida like a chicken in a few months then talk to me.

Weidman has better knockout power and defeated one of the best strikers MMA has ever seen on the feet. His boxing is also more technical.

Wanna reformulate that sentence?

It's pretty crazy that a guy with such little experience beat the number two GOAT.

Define talent?

I wouldn't go that far but with his fight IQ, wrestling, timing, and distance control he can strike with anyone at MW and normally come out getting the better of his opponent but all those factors greatly improve the effectiveness of his stand up.

Having said that, his stand up keeps improving a lot every time we see him, Weidman has a very high ceiling.

...they're also in different weight classes. Cain beats all the guys that Jones has beaten too. If you think he uses wrestling better, fine, same for the striking comparison. But the rest of your comparisons make no sense.

Back