Chinese City Bans the Burqa From Being Worn in Public

How do you know they weren't pressured to wear them since the Niqab and Burqa are not traditional Uighur dress.

How do you know they weren't? If your going to propose that government suppress Uighur's freedom of expression then the burden of proof is on you not people defending their choice of clothing.

How are they being wiped out? Saying its a genocide is like saying America is committing genocide due to the growing numbers of minorities. The Chinese aren't sustemetically killing them. Their culture, yeah, China is actively suppressing it. But it's not genocide, it's that the Han Chinese are numerous and willing to go anywhere. The Uighurs are still there, it's just that they are a smaller percentage.

Their culture is being deliberately suppressed with the intention being of wiping them out through forced/coerced assimilation. Cultural genocide is genocide. Slow motion genocide is still genocide.

Since Han control China and are swamping the area, the Uighurs will be sidelined and pushed into poverty.Poverty will slowly finish them off.

How do you know they weren't? If your going to propose that government suppress Uighur's freedom of expression then the burden of proof is on you not people defending their choice of clothing.

They may or may not do it of their own free will but at the end of the day covering one's face poses risks to others.

I don't agree with what the Chinese are doing to the Uighurs but if I look at this Burqa situation by itself then I can understand the reason to ban it. France banned the Burqa awhile back and there was discussion here about it, and I supported the ban , partly due to security issues.

There have been countless robberies committed by people wearing masks. Ofcourse they are not going to wear it day and day out, but they might when about to commit a crime.

Also recently in Abu Dhabi , a Niqab wearing woman stabbed an American teacher to death.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/stabbing-death-of-american-in-abu-dhabi-an-isolated-act-uae-says/

Um... exactly? Saying they can't wear a burqa day in, day out doesnt prevent someone with criminal intentions from donning one prior to commiting their criminal acts

Muslim countries and global organizations are relatively quiet on China's treatment of Muslims; maybee they know that it is hopeless trying to appeal to Chinese humanitarian sentiment .

Indeed. This is one of the few cases of (actual) Muslim oppression that deserves to be talked about but because Muslims act up regardless of oppression, no one cares, certainly not me.

Um... exactly? Saying they can't wear a burqa day in, day out doesnt prevent someone with criminal intentions from donning one prior to commiting their criminal acts

If they did , they would stick out like a sore thumb BUT if lots of people wore it day in day out, the criminals could just blend in with everyone else.

If they did , they would stick out like a sore thumb BUT if lots of people wore it day in day out, the criminals could just blend in with everyone else.

Except criminal still use masks in the US if they wish to conceal their identity, they just take it off when they want to blend in again. That hardly changes any security risks

Their culture is being deliberately suppressed with the intention being of wiping them out through forced/coerced assimilation. Cultural genocide is genocide. Slow motion genocide is still genocide.

Since Han control China and are swamping the area, the Uighurs will be sidelined and pushed into poverty.Poverty will slowly finish them off.

Well I guess that depends on your definition of genocide. I'll have to agree when you put it that way but I was thinking more literally, in the sense of killing off a group.

And Uighurs were already in poverty before the Han moved in and built a bunch of infrastructure. So if anything they're less poor. More marginalized, though.

They may or may not do it of their own free will but at the end of the day covering one's face poses risks to others.

I don't agree with what the Chinese are doing to the Uighurs but if I look at this Burqa situation by itself then I can understand the reason to ban it. France banned the Burqa awhile back and there was discussion here about it, and I supported the ban , partly due to security issues.

Fair enough, and I respect your opinion. The only reason I've been prodding you this whole time is because I wanted you to admit that you're okay with surpressing things like free speech or freedom of expression under certain circumstances. Personally I disagree with that opinion but I just wish people would be more upfront with what their supporting/advocating.

Indeed. This is one of the few cases of (actual) Muslim oppression that deserves to be talked about but because Muslims act up regardless of oppression, no one cares, certainly not me.

There are others cases , like the genocide of Rohinga (they are Muslims) in Myanmar . Some may call it ethnic cleansing. I just don't feel like arguing it now.

Except criminal still use masks in the US if they wish to conceal their identity, they just take it off when they want to blend in again. That hardly changes any security risks

I dont think you understood his post, it's about people being complacent with masked individuals, when they should not..... and good for china.

Not if you actually believe that people have rights. By your logic if the majority agrees that anyone who dislikes MMA should be murdered then everyone would love MMA. That may make the majority happy but it doesn't justify murdering everyone who disliked MMA.

From not being allowed to wear masks in public daily... to this analogy... Classic Austrian/libertarian full retard.

China is at the top of the heap in terms of egregious human rights violations. But this prohibition sure as hell isn't one of them.

Fair enough, and I respect your opinion. The only reason I've been prodding you this whole time is because I wanted you to admit that you're okay with surpressing things like free speech or freedom of expression under certain circumstances. Personally I disagree with that opinion but I just wish people would be more upfront with what their supporting/advocating.

Well I am not in favor of suppressing free expression but in the case of covering the face, I can see how it could be a security risk.

The other issue is that while some women do it of their own free will, it is not unreasonable to assume some are pressured into it , because it is rather a misogynistic and oppressive custom. So it comes down to thinking that supporting the Burqa and Niqab is supporting an oppressive culture rather than supporting free expression.

I dont think you understood his post, it's about people being complacent with masked individuals, when they should not..... and good for china.

No it's not, it's about a supposed security risk involved in not being able to identify criminals, follow the conversation back a few posts

Expressing oneself is all fine and dandy as long as you don't infringe on the rights of others. Totally covering the face gives lends itself to being an asshole to others and allows criminals to better escape identification.

Do you show the same outrage for Muslim countries suppressing freedoms?

From not being allowed to wear masks in public daily... to this analogy... Classic Austrian/libertarian full retard.

China is at the top of the heap in terms of egregious human rights violations. But this prohibition sure as hell isn't one of them.

Yeah, it's called a reductio ad absurdum and it

Back