Chinese City Bans the Burqa From Being Worn in Public

Whether you're talking full face, half face, or w.e, you're still suppressing that groups freedom to express themselves. I don't know why you can't just admit that. You're not the first in the WR to hold this haphazard view of rights.

Expressing oneself is all fine and dandy as long as you don't infringe on the rights of others. Totally covering the face gives lends itself to being an asshole to others and allows criminals to better escape identification.

Nah, you're confused - you sound like the Joker. First you acknowledge the SECURITY RISK that burqas impose and you claim it "doesn't justify.." In life things aren't always black and white. This isn't one of those "either/or" thingies, you silly goose.

I acknowledged that they could potentially be a security risk not that they necessarily pose one. Furthermore, i'm not familiar with China but I would be willing to bet that not everyone in the Xinjiang region who wears a burqa poses a security risk to the Chinese government. Therefore what you're defending is a policy of preemption where you violate a groups rights not because they committed a crime but because you believe they will commit one some time in the future. Idk man but that doesn't sound like justice to me.

People who come to usa, uk, EU, canada, other free countries and act so oppressed because they have almost any freedom they could imagine but can't do certain things like walk around in public covered from head to toe, nothing but the eye balls showing, something anyone else from these countries, originally or not, would never think of getting away with.

Our free countries were not set up so people could come into them and pose security risks. I am very liberal, pro choice, pro pot legalization, pro freedom of worship, pro just about anything you can imagine for human rights, but allowing people to walk around in public buildings, air ports, on flights, in schools, covered with only the white and what other color their eye balls are showing is fucking crazy. I can not get over it anytime I see it or the topic is brought up.

It is frightening and it truly pisses me off. I can't believe Im typing this, but on this topic, go china!

What happens when hordes of burqa-donning broads Zerg rush public places and leave a bunch of unattended packages in shopping malls?

What happens when they don't? Then you'll just have a bunch of innocent people who had their rights violated for no reason. Apparently that's not a big deal to you. I disagree.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Not if you actually believe that people have rights. By your logic if the majority agrees that anyone who dislikes MMA should be murdered then everyone would love MMA. That may make the majority happy but it doesn't justify murdering everyone who disliked MMA.

If they can learn to behave then maybe they can one day have their blankets back.

"They?" So all muslims are burqa wearing extremist? Nothing like faulty generalizations.

No problem in banning primitive, sexist, oppressive burquas.

Burquas have no fucking place in modern society...the mere sight of it is revolting and indicative of how wrong religion can go.

What happens when they don't? Then you'll just have a bunch of innocent people who had their rights violated for no reason. Apparently that's not a big deal to you. I disagree.

Not if you actually believe that people have rights. By your logic if the majority agrees that anyone who dislikes MMA should be murdered then everyone would love MMA. That may make the majority happy but it doesn't justify murdering everyone who disliked MMA.

"They?" So all muslims are burqa wearing extremist? Nothing like faulty generalizations.
I never mentioned rights. But I'll go ahead and play. Rights may be given and taken away. This is China you are crying about. Not exactly the liberal utopia dreamt about by Tumblr slacktivists completing their Gender Studies degrees. Sure, you have the right to your life and safety, but you don't get to cite your belief in a cosmic zombie to justify wearing a bedsheet under the pretext of "freedom of expression." This is 2015. We're not in the desert and we shouldn't support the belief in such bright ideas like giving acid baths to children who want to go to school or the idea that women shouldn't be able to show their noses.

Don't quote me with "they" then pull the strawman victim card. It's cheap. As Coulter said, "All muslims are not terrorists but all terrorists are muslims." They live in a shithole wasteland of the world where everyone is suspect. I don't blame China for not wanting to open up the backdoor to a full court press of jihadists eager to claim their 72 virgins prize at the gates.

I acknowledged that they could potentially be a security risk not that they necessarily pose one. Furthermore, i'm not familiar with China but I would be willing to bet that not everyone in the Xinjiang region who wears a burqa poses a security risk to the Chinese government. Therefore what you're defending is a policy of preemption where you violate a groups rights not because they committed a crime but because you believe they will commit one some time in the future. Idk man but that doesn't sound like justice to me.

No one is saying its justice, its a matter of prevention. I don't know where you bring "justice" into it. Is that a buzz word you throw around to try and get under the skin of conservatives? Save it, it won't work on me. And I'm not saying the group of people who wear them WILL commit a crime. If you don't think a non-muslim could put one on, man or women, and use it to pull off a crime, you're delusional. I picture a pervy, white as rice good old southern boy pedo making off with a child or a home grown terrorist, of muslim decent or not using it to commit an act of violence.

You don't have to defend everything. You and especially anyone who comes to these countries should be happy with 9 out of 10 or 19 out of 20 things pertaining to their beliefs, or BETTER being allowed. Heck, from the many, many ideas pertaining to their beliefs there might be a few I don't like. Usually its when they make women wear burqas and treat woman as less than men, things like that. It sure is a lot better than the ratio Id get away with in their home countries with my beliefs. Imagine if I went to one of these muslum countries with one of our beliefs thats as wild as wearing a burqa. You think their would be debates? Votes? And then civil laws passed or the foreign belief actually allowed? No, Id have my fucking head cut off. And I know that is what makes our countries better, but a few, very few of their beliefs are just too much we as fellow citizens of our countries should have to take and be put at risk with. Its our countries too.

And as someone said a few posts back, if you're so much for people's rights why are you defending something so primitive, sexist, and oppressive? Do you ever just sit back and argue with yourself? Your own beliefs and ideas seem very crossed.

Edit: I hope you reply to my post Lee, and don't just pick off all the duck comments like the guy who said he views them all as sub human. Although, the notion of women as a whole in a society being treated like this does seem sub human to me.

Last edited:
They banned foot binding, I don't see why they can't ban other wretched cultural practices.

They're not the US.

Im sure this will go over as well. Just as telling Hong Kong they don't get to pick who they want running for government positions, worked great.

They banned foot binding, I don't see why they can't ban other wretched cultural practices.

They're not the US.

Well, admittedly, the burqa is not deforming.

The reason one bans the burqa is to undermine Islam and discourage Islamic immigration from Central Asia. China wants to maintain Chinese identity, and I completely support such efforts.

this is where yu have to applaud china. because if anyone wants to whine about it, china will just tell them to go fuck themselves. wish we would be like that sometimes

No problem in banning primitive, sexist, oppressive burquas.

Burquas have no fucking place in modern society...the mere sight of it is revolting and indicative of how wrong religion can go.

Actually I don't think people would even care if muslims didn't also rape, kill and oppress* everywhere they go.

*Wearing the burqua is not in itself oppressive. Just when women are forced to wear them.

Being that I live here, ad know from experience.....That law will not be enforced like it sounds like.China like most communist countries try to make people turn on, or forget religion. Like, shit forgot the word for the people who go around "preaching the word" ...missionaries? Thats illegal here, cults are illegal, alot of religious stuff is technically "banned" here. But it's pretty much known that they won't enforce this too bad, if they do they will have more problems with Xinjiang, and they don't want more trouble with them

And one thing people need to know about China. Laws are not always enforced to seriously here. Its actually really nice to not have police officers up your ass for every little thing.

If there's problems then I'm sure the Chinese military can handle them. Burqas have no place in public of any societies.

Back