Chinese City Bans the Burqa From Being Worn in Public

Yes, do you show the same lack of outrage when it happens in the West?

Depends who it happens to and why it happens to them.

China is far from a freedom champion, this isn't even their worst violation of human rights, but that's another thread all together.

I'm not even outraged. I'm just pointing out how people think of rights so haphazardly.

Let me rephrase. Do you point out how Muslim countries think of rights so haphazardly?

Let me rephrase. Do you point out how Muslim countries think of rights so haphazardly?

Well i certainly haven't made threads about it but I've been around here a long time and have been a consistent defeder of individual rights. Others on the other hand assert that they believe in individual rights but as this thread demonstrates, people are quick to violate those rights as soon as they perceive a security risk. My purpose in this thread has been to expose that hypocrisy.

The Chinese are violating Uighurs and slowly genociding them BUT banning the Burqa is reasonable because it hide's one's face in public.

I know, it does seem that way. There's so little coverage of it, too, you have to check western websites to see the details, obviously. But there are cases of extremism there too, as in any Muslim area.

Well i certainly haven't made threads about it but I've been around here a long time and have been a consistent defeder of individual rights. Others on the other hand assert that they believe in individual rights but as this thread demonstrates, people are quick to violate those rights as soon as they perceive a security risk. My purpose in this thread has been to expose that hypocrisy.

Fair enough.

I was just looking to see if you're consistent. Since you've been reading these forums long enough you'd notice how a lot of apologists don't seem to apply the same standards to Muslims as they do to other people.

Except criminal still use masks in the US if they wish to conceal their identity, they just take it off when they want to blend in again. That hardly changes any security risks

However if you walk into a store or a bank wearing a mask the employees have forewarning what is about to happen and already have their finger on the button.

635501039960560008-No-hoodie-sign-2.jpg

Its China. The Chinese can run their country however they wish, it's their country.

If I was Muslim, I wouldn't live there. But I wouldn't live there for lots of reasons. And lo and behold, I don't live there and don't plan on moving there. Let China be China.

Its China. The Chinese can run their country however they wish, it's their country.

If I was Muslim, I wouldn't live there. But I wouldn't live there for lots of reasons. And lo and behold, I don't live there and don't plan on moving there. Let China be China.
Except for the pesky problem that its not China but colonized land of the Uighurs.

If anyone shouldn't be there in that place its the Chinese.

The Chinese are violating Uighurs and slowly genociding them BUT banning the Burqa is reasonable because it hide's one's face in public.

My opinion on the burqa is that it should be treated like a mask. Where you can wear a mask in public you should be able to wear a burqa. If masks are banned in certain buildings and spaces for security reasons, like banks, the burqa should also be banned.

I don't think its right to specifically ban the burqa though

Can I wear my Hell's Angel or KKK robes? Freedom of expression, brah.

If you live in America you can. The KKK still has rallies and demonstrations IIRC. Of course they've had to stop the violence since they can't get away with that quite as easily anymore but they still put on the robes and say profane things about Jews and blacks and whatnot. At least they still were a few years ago.

How do you know they weren't pressured to wear them since the Niqab and Burqa are not traditional Uighur dress.

So the answer is to pressure them into not wearing it? That's ridiculous.

Can I wear my Hell's Angel or KKK robes? Freedom of expression, brah.

The KKK stuff yes and the cops will protect you.

HA colors might get you in all kinds of trouble but not with the law.

My opinion on the burqa is that it should be treated like a mask. Where you can wear a mask in public you should be able to wear a burqa. If masks are banned in certain buildings and spaces for security reasons, like banks, the burqa should also be banned.

I don't think its right to specifically ban the burqa though
Sounds sensible.

Except for the pesky problem that its not China but colonized land of the Uighurs.

If anyone shouldn't be there in that place its the Chinese.

If they're under Chinese law then I don't see a problem. And as far as I can tell they're under Chinese law. Of course, I might be wrong on that but I haven't read anything to the contrary.

Back