Cheap submissions

In competition I would say none of them are "cheap"... but in training I would consider a few things cheap.

- When I was brand new, I had a Gi, but my school had not given me my belt yet. So obviously by Gi top was hanging open. It was COMPLETELY out of my control, yet people insisted on using this against me at every opportunity... but would complain if I went no gi. (This class sucked and the teacher couldnt have cared less)

- Also submissions that were used through pure power instead of technique, and force your training partner to tap just to avoid injury. For instance digging your elbow/wrist into someone's throat from side mount.

Obviously, that is easily defended... and nobody decent would tap to it in a competition. However, when its your training partner and it hurts like hell, i'll tap... but i'll be pissed after and consider it cheap. Maybe some people disagree, but that would be my personal take on it, primarily because I would never do that to a training partner.

no such thing as lucky punch, maybe a lil sloppy; but no luck, throwing a punch w/bad intentions is not luck.

Yes, and when I chuck my basketball down court and pray it hits the basket--and it goes in--there is no luck involved. that chris leben must be one skilled fighter too, cause he throws like 100 unskilled punches per match--for show probably--then lands one really skilled one to end the fight. But he could execute that skilled punch whenever he wants, cause it's not luck, it's skill.

no such thing as lucky punch, maybe a lil sloppy; but no luck, throwing a punch w/bad intentions is not luck.

Yes, and when I chuck my basketball down court and pray it hits the basket--and it goes in--there is no luck involved. that chris leben must be one skilled fighter too, cause he throws like 100 unskilled punches per match--for show probably--then lands one really skilled one to end the fight. But he could execute that skilled punch whenever he wants, cause it's not luck, it's skill.

achilles locks are pretty lame in training for the most part. i mean its great to work on and learn how to defend against it but i dunno, i just find it kinda lame.

achilles locks are pretty lame in training for the most part. i mean its great to work on and learn how to defend against it but i dunno, i just find it kinda lame.
how are they lame? If you don't have partners who go for ankle locks on you in training, how are you going to defend one in a comp or when your fighting a guy who is good at leg locks?

Just because you get tapped by them, doesn't make them lame.

I don't like cranks tha rely on strength, but I still wouldn't call them cheap.

Neck cranks, wrist locks, and face chokes are the only submissions that piss me off. They're all fair game in competition and training though. Provided you know the guy in training though.

Back