Cheap submissions

I always considered the keylock to be a cheap submission. Its the easiest thing to apply. And a fav of mine.

A cheap sub to me is using dirty tactics to employ any sub...i.e., you can't finish the rnc, so you apply the forearm over the nose and compress or throat chokes with the fist.

I agree with the face/neck locks. And while i know this submission isn't cheap there's this kid in my class who seems to exclusively go for it. I don't know the exact name but basically it's one of the few subs you can do in someones guard... where you put one forearm/arm behind the head and grab the sleeve of your gi, then put your other forearm/arm across their throat and squeeze. It works well if you pull it off, and i know it's not cheap but i don't think it's a very technical sub.

ezekiel can be done from almost anywhere, very easy to defend, but you have to know its coming

cheap submission is when a noob goes for straight footlock

cheap submission is when a noob goes for straight footlock
I don't think so.

If a noob can tap me with a straight footlock, he deserves it.

I'm so used to defending kneebars, ankle locks, and heel hooks from blue belts and above, that if a noob (white belt) can tap me with one, he deserves props.

I agree with the face/neck locks. And while i know this submission isn't cheap there's this kid in my class who seems to exclusively go for it. I don't know the exact name but basically it's one of the few subs you can do in someones guard... where you put one forearm/arm behind the head and grab the sleeve of your gi, then put your other forearm/arm across their throat and squeeze. It works well if you pull it off, and i know it's not cheap but i don't think it's a very technical sub.

lol, thats the ezekial choke. I am laughing because theres a guy whos famous for it in my gym, hes incredibly strong and has excellent base so you have to open your guard to get rid of him. We can't sweep him or armbar him once hes got it locked on so you have to see it coming.

lol, thats the ezekial choke. I am laughing because theres a guy whos famous for it in my gym, hes incredibly strong and has excellent base so you have to open your guard to get rid of him. We can't sweep him or armbar him once hes got it locked on so you have to see it coming.

yeah the ezekial is freakin gnar and it is hard to sweep on good based people so in summary

Ezekial Choke + strong + excellent base = :icon_cry2

:icon_conf

Who actually taps to a crossface?

Besides, that move's almost as integral to no-gi as breathing. You might as well call the collar choke a cheap submission.

idk who taps they are cheap as hell tho that being said all no gi grapplers (including me) do them and i 4 got but useing ur chin on the spine but like crossfaces they are essential

Also, chin in eye and small digit manipulation. I've never been victim to one, but these would be on my list of cheap moves.

Neck crank from top of half guard.

At least have the skill to slip it into a d'arce, fuck.

Neck Cranks. Just like one of the first posters, I'll tap to them to avoid lasting pain, but I -could- fight out of them if I wanted, usually. But I don't want to lose my ability as an "ambi-turner" for a week or so. I just never apply them myself, since I find them to be cheap. That's always a good confidence boost for the new big guys. But I also take it as my invitation to run a clinic.

I also hate when, on rare occasion, I get a wrestler who out positions me into side control (usually a headlock) and then finds a way to block my breathing. Not a choke. Nothing on the neck. But covers my mouth and nose with their arm or chest or even my own arm. My fault for being there, you know? But god damned annoying to have to tap to.

I don't know why, but I feel real cheap when I get the Ezekiel Choke. I won't even attempt it in a match, unless it's just wide open because A. more skilled guys don't get caught, and B. it was the first submission I learned and did it so many times, it's like I need to work on other aspects of my game, rather then setting up a choke/ sub I am pretty good at.

I don't consider crossfacing to be the slightest bit cheap. It's one of the most powerful weapons at the disposal of any no-gi grappler, and one of the best ways to set up submissions, take the mount, pass the half guard, etc. Learning how to apply and how to defend/absorb crossfaces is a fundamental skill of no-gi grappling, and as such I just don't see how it could be considered cheap.

As for neck cranks, while everybody hates the massive roided freak who does nothing but grab your head and pull with all of his strength, that sort of crank is simply too easy to avoid/escape to be considered cheap. And there are plenty of technical neck cranks that are no cheaper than any other submission.

Getting suffocated by someone's sweaty shirt that's five sizes too large for him when he gets side control and sprawls all over your face - now that's cheap. But it's still your fault for being there in the first place.

There are plenty of "cheap" subs moves when you are in your gym training with friends. For example when a guy who outweighs you by 50+ lbs chokes your jaw instead of your neck.

There are no cheap subs in a comp.

There are plenty of "cheap" subs moves when you are in your gym training with friends. For example when a guy who outweighs you by 50+ lbs chokes your jaw instead of your neck.

There are no cheap subs in a comp.

Im more inclined to aggree with this one, but I think there are cheap strategies in competition such as stalling after a takedown.

There will always be submissions that you respect more than others. Most people would be proud of getting a gogoplata on someone, but probably not so much for an achilles ankle lock.

I don't know why, but I feel real cheap when I get the Ezekiel Choke. I won't even attempt it in a match, unless it's just wide open because A. more skilled guys don't get caught, and B. it was the first submission I learned and did it so many times, it's like I need to work on other aspects of my game, rather then setting up a choke/ sub I am pretty good at.

haha BLASPHEMY!!!
But its a little raw when you don't do the full choke, you just use the grip to grind your fist into their artery. I mean do what you feel, but I'd only crank that out in a comp

heh. that reminds me. I did a 'fist in artery' ezekiel on a white belt a week ago.

I'm a cheap bastard lol.

^^^^
you ever done the double version? The 'punch' choke?
gripping the collar, fingers in on each side of their neck and grinding the knuckles in?
Buuuuuurn
but very effective

Back