Cheap submissions

^^^^
you ever done the double version? The 'punch' choke?
gripping the collar, fingers in on each side of their neck and grinding the knuckles in?
Buuuuuurn
but very effective

That definantly doesn't sound nice and I would possibly be pissed off if someone tried that on me in training.

many people think that submissions that you can easily 'slap' on are cheap. I think if you can get in the right position you are on the right track.

The only thing I'd consider cheap but never the less acceptable. When you have butterfly guard and grab the back of their head and put your knee across their throat or jaw.

I tend to subscribe to the idea that in competition or self defense anything is game but in training with your partner there are things you either shouldn't do or should use a good deal of restraint when doing to avoid injury. Specifically I think it is a load of crap to wrist lock your training partner with any real strength behind it. Wrist locks get applied so fast you almost don't have enough time to tap. Certainly you need to be prepared to defend but that doesn't mean once you get your partner in a wrist lock, crank it as hard as you can until they tap. Several times I have gotten a good grip and been able to apply a wrist lock and I will tell my partner "I am about to do a wristlock" then I gradually apply pressure to give them a chance to tap.

tbone

I tend to subscribe to the idea that in competition or self defense anything is game but in training with your partner there are things you either shouldn't do or should use a good deal of restraint when doing to avoid injury. Specifically I think it is a load of crap to wrist lock your training partner with any real strength behind it. Wrist locks get applied so fast you almost don't have enough time to tap. Certainly you need to be prepared to defend but that doesn't mean once you get your partner in a wrist lock, crank it as hard as you can until they tap. Several times I have gotten a good grip and been able to apply a wrist lock and I will tell my partner "I am about to do a wristlock" then I gradually apply pressure to give them a chance to tap.

tbone

haha yeah, thats like when i have a triangle sunk in deep on my partner, i say to them

"i am about to apply a triangle choke"

then i squeeze like all fuck and they tap furiously

lol

not really

That definantly doesn't sound nice and I would possibly be pissed off if someone tried that on me in training.
It's legit. It's mostly used when someone has double underhooked your legs and is looking to pass your guard. You grab both sides of his collar, knuckles facing his arteries, and then push your fists into the sides of his throat.

It's not cheap at all.

yes it sucks quite a bit. i actually find that people attempt that sub a lot at my school. i've had it applied from side control, where you can really torque the collar too.

the double one just hurts like a bitch, but its easy to either sweep or pull one of their arms off.

It's legit. It's mostly used when someone has double underhooked your legs and is looking to pass your guard. You grab both sides of his collar, knuckles facing his arteries, and then push your fists into the sides of his throat.

It's not cheap at all.

i cant imagine it applied from inside someone's guard. unless you're ridiculously strong.

i cant imagine it applied from inside someone's guard. unless you're ridiculously strong.
If you do it correctly, it doesn't take a lot of strength. If you get right on the arteries, they will tap quick.

I have had that done to me and it's no big deal. I had zero idea it was coming, it was applied with great enthusiasm and a real serious body triangle, and it had that envigorating combination of surprise and pain that you get from being on the business end of a really slick calf slicer.

I tapped immediately.

But I wouldn't call it cheap; if my posture hadn't sucked it wouldn't have happened, and unlike a bad neck crank or calf slicer it had no lingering effects.

I agree. Also, no such thing as a cheap submission - if its good enough to make the guy tap, then its legit.

agree if its cheap, then get out of it; if it isn't it will hurt u and that will be on u, cheap submission how ridiculous..some people look for any excuse to cover up gettin tapped

only cheap ones that i would consider was the wirst ones off the gi holding when you start.. ive seen people get caught off that many times right the whistel

bjj competitions are one of the few times where you can apply a standing wristlock on a resisting opponent because #1) peole grab your collar #2) they grab hard...

Back