Cheap submissions

ozyabbas

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I just wanted to put it to this board to discuss what people would call a cheap submission/set up or whether there is no such thing as a cheap submission.

I've never really thought of any submission as cheap. It's not like striking, where there are "lucky punches". I guess the grappling equivalent would be nailing a submission off of a scramble, but even then there's nothing "cheap" about it. So I'd say that there are none.

I consider cheaps subs ones that I may tap to so my neck doesnt hurt all week not because I was technically submitted or stuff that will make it so I cant train the next day but not a true sub.

I always thought of the face crank as a cheap sub, especially when they can't finish the rnc.

I always thought of the face crank as a cheap sub, especially when they can't finish the rnc.

That hurts like hell. But i will not tap to that crap. And payback is a bitch. lol

If it causes enough pain to cause a tap, then it's worth the same as any other sub.
War Mark Kerr's Massive chin!!!!

I think there are definantly times where I either feel good or bad about a submission I pulled off. Submissions where more technical skill was needed to pull them off feels good were as I don't feel so good about opportunistic submissions.

Techniques that you wouldn't necessarily tap to in a competition or a fight I would class as cheap. Such as some untechniqual neck cranks.

I also wouldn't feel proud about a roll where I only managed to get out of some submission or position because of physical advantages.

no such thing as lucky punch, maybe a lil sloppy; but no luck, throwing a punch w/bad intentions is not luck.

That hurts like hell. But i will not tap to that crap. And payback is a bitch. lol
yea, that's how i feel about that as well. I had guy dig in on a cross face when I told him i just had a tooth pulled on that side. Payback wasn't pleasant.

maybe in pride when they move them from the ropes and when the ref tells them to go the guy in gaurd slaps an arm bar real fast. but even then its not really cheap.

I just wanted to put it to this board to discuss what people would call a cheap submission/set up or whether there is no such thing as a cheap submission.

really no such thing but it is "cheap" when ur opponent ball smashes u when ur not wearing a cup or excessive crossfaces

no such thing as lucky punch, maybe a lil sloppy; but no luck, throwing a punch w/bad intentions is not luck.

I agree. Also, no such thing as a cheap submission - if its good enough to make the guy tap, then its legit.

knee on face aka skullride is cheap if you are in the gym but okay in competition

there are a couple that arent really cheap. but almost frowned upon by your fellow grappling partners.. for me its when someone gets a lockdown and tries to sub you with an achilles lock, or neck cranks of any kind imho.... everything else is fair game, just as long as you respect your partner

knee on face aka skullride is cheap if you are in the gym but okay in competition

mmmmm, not sure I feel that thats the case?

Say your a white belt and youve competing in your first comp. Youve trained for 11 months and youre in you first fight, some guy skullrides you to escape the triangle. You come off the mat after hes won and think - "why the fuck has that never happened in training?

you go to your mates and say "some guy just crushed my head against the floor with his knee, what a scumbag"

your buddies go - "hey thats competetion shit"

you say " why the Fuck do we not train for this stuff???????????"

Personally I think that all the dirty stuff should be done in class. All at a level that is comfortable for the individual grapplers. Not all the time, but when you with a good friend that wont take the piss and wont graunch subs of, cheap or dirty moves should be used, all the time. He wont take the piss, because he knows you'll get him back, you wont take the piss for the same reason!!

Back