• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Change One Rule in the UFC

All strikes allowed standing also allowed on the ground.

You should be able to stomp their hands or at least bend fingers?
Is it legal to stomp hands?

Never thought about that, but if a guy is intentionally putting hands down to game the system it would be hilarious if the opponent stomped the shit out of their fingers.

No warnings for eye pokes, and fence grabs. Automatic point deduction

That's never been a rule. Are you saying they should do it?
The grounded opponent definition basically boils down to three points of contact unless I’m misinterpreting them(possible). Example fighter A is standing on both feet they bend down and place one or both hands on the floor they are now grounded according to the rules. That should be changed imo

The grounded opponent definition basically boils down to three points of contact unless I’m misinterpreting them(possible). Example fighter A is standing on both feet they bend down and place one or both hands on the floor they are now grounded according to the rules. That should be changed imo
Nah, that was all Joe Rogan's repeated crap. He actually said it so often, that Tim Means believed him and got DQ'd for it once, cuz he said his opponent had less than 3 points of contact, but one of them was a knee.

It's a handy "shortcut" to remember because it works in a lot of situations, but if you took it literal, you'd be on trouble. Especially now when they implemented some new rules about grounded fighters that states are not in agreement about. Shit's too confusing. We might be able to understand it, but we don't get punched constantly and people like Tim Means exists.

*EDIT* Tim's knee was not a DQ, it was a no contest, it just obviously should have been a DQ, even to his own admission

Last edited:
Definitely something bottom related as it's the most rule constrained position.

Y'all complain about fighters just laying on their opponent in guard, but say nothing about how the guy on the bottom isn't allowed upkicks, kidney strikes, back of the head strikes when your opponent just buries his head in your chest, 12-6 elbows (would only happen if your back is up right against the cage), and clothing to grab are taken away. Like no wonder they get laid on: the position is made even more difficult than it naturally should be.

You are out of your mind if you think these things don't restrict the top person even more.
12-6 elbows? kidney strikes? Back of the head? Striking is just much easier and far more lethal from top position. Think of all the times Fighters roll over to climb their way up which they would not dare do anymore. One 12-6 to back of the head while trying to get up and that fighter will wait till the end of the round from then on. Honestly of all the dumb posts I've seen from you this one is right up there.

You are out of your mind if you think these things don't restrict the top person even more.
12-6 elbows? kidney strikes? Back of the head? Striking is just much easier and far more lethal from top position. Think of all the times Fighters roll over to climb their way up which they would not dare do anymore. One 12-6 to back of the head while trying to get up and that fighter will wait till the end of the round from then on. Honestly of all the dumb posts I've seen from you this one is right up there.
I've been hit with both before and I'll take a 12-6 elbow any day over a 9-3/3-9 elbow. The 9-3/3-9 elbow generates so much more momentum and force than a 12-6. The 12-6 ban is stupid.

I've been hit with both before and I'll take a 12-6 elbow any day over a 9-3/3-9 elbow. The 9-3/3-9 elbow generates so much more momentum and force than a 12-6. The 12-6 ban is stupid.

Ive not been hit with both, but I agree the 12-6 rule is stupid. I was only commenting on how those rules affect the top position even more, not really commenting on whether they should be legal. I'm big on having as few rules as possible

Ive not been hit with both, but I agree the 12-6 rule is stupid. I was only commenting on how those rules affect the top position even more, not really commenting on whether they should be legal. I'm big on having as few rules as possible
The UFC has learned that the world's best fighters are usually grapplers but grappling-centric fights aren't very fan friendly and the UFC is an entertainment company. So over the years it has slowly implemented rules that favor strikers over grapplers. Stand ups, not scoring control and TD like they use to, signing more strikers and intentionally avoiding more wrestling oriented people (in looking directly at the UFC letting Phil Davis, Bader and Corey walk without even trying to keep them), etc.

The UFC knows they make more money when people can treat their opponents like a heavy bag.

Is it legal to stomp hands?

Never thought about that, but if a guy is intentionally putting hands down to game the system it would be hilarious if the opponent stomped the shit out of their fingers.
lol - right? Stomping toes is fine, so why not fingers. It'd be amazing to see some fingers broke.

The UFC has learned that the world's best fighters are usually grapplers but grappling-centric fights aren't very fan friendly and the UFC is an entertainment company. So over the years it has slowly implemented rules that favor strikers over grapplers. Stand ups, not scoring control and TD like they use to, signing more strikers and intentionally avoiding more wrestling oriented people (in looking directly at the UFC letting Phil Davis, Bader and Corey walk without even trying to keep them), etc.

The UFC knows they make more money when people can treat their opponents like a heavy bag.

Oh I know which is why I've been arguing for over 10 years on here every time I see someone argue that the rules favor Grapplers.

Knees to grounded opponent. Should be available always.

Would also reinstate allowance for chin to eye submissions.

Back