Chael Sonnen: "Tyson fought bums, Rousey is fighting legit competitors"

Lol, what an idiotic thing to say. Then again it is Chael Sonnen.

Who were all the great and memorable fighters in Lewis's run at the top? I don't recall him ever having a single big fight until he was like 33 and fought a past his prime Holyfield. He fought Tyson when Tyson was 35 and like 14 years past his best..

I totally agree. But we aren't talking about Lewis. personally, I think if Tyson ever fought lewis, while tyson was in his prime, he would ko'd lewis.

Tyson fought (and beat) Trevor Berbick, who holds a win over Muhammad Ali. Ronda has fought Bethe Correia, someone with two finishes in her entire career and not a single top 15 win.

Spinks fought the majority of his career at Light Heavyweight. He was never a good heavyweight. He only moved up to fight Holmes. He won their first fight. But anyone that ever saw the rematch with holmes knows that holmes won. It was a very controversial fight, that most experts thought holmes was robbed.

Spinks was never a legit heavyweight and was demolished by a much more powerful tyson.

Well lets looks at this from a skill standpoint..

Spinks had an amateur record of 93-7 and won a gold medal at the 1976 Olympics.

Then over a 10 year pro career he posted a record of 31-0 and won a world title in 2 different weight classes..

Bethe stated training like 4 years ago and beat none of the top contenders anywhere..

Chael speaks...

dc_zps2f4ca374.gif

Who did larry holmes ever beat? Sure, he is only rated in the top 10 cause of the number of title defenses. But put him against a joe fraizer, Foreman, liston, forget it. he'd get killed. He barely beat a way out of his prime old Ken norton. I'm talking barely. And norton wasn't all that great. he only gave ali trouble cause at that point, Ali was already way past his prime.

Ken Norton broke Ali's jaw and beat him. Haha. Ali probably never beat Norton in their three fights. Even Foreman said so. Norton was a beast.

Larry Holmes was a monster, one of the best jabs ever, huge heart. He beat Tex Cobb, Leon Spinks, Berbick, Earnie Shavers (an absolute monster), Gerry ****ey, in addition to beating Ali and Norton.

Larry Holmes is maybe the most underrated HW ever..

Chael is a kardashian wanna be .....he thinks by acting like Sasha grey when she sees D ,every time he sees a microphone he's got to be all over it . He's been suspended for being a known cheater and should stay as such .

I have to disagree Chael. Rousey's only really bad title opponent was Bethe though.

Proof that Chael doesn't know anything about the sport of boxing.

Tyson didn't fight in the best era of HW's but he was still damn good and I believe he would've been successful in any era. Tyson did fight some very legit guys, very dangerous guys and he knocked them out. Tyson didn't go undefeated for however many fights for no reason.

There were guys that Tyson fought that didn't have big names that could've been big stars but didn't have the right management/team behind them, too. If you read Tyson's book, he talks about quite a few guys he fought and beat and how they could've amounted to something big but never made it because they had the wrong people behind them.

It's not all about their name, it's about skill. There were a lot of skilled guys that Tyson fought that didn't have a big name, but they were still very good boxers. Tyson beat some bad motherfuckers. Berbick, Spinks, Holmes, Razor, may be his biggest wins - but Bruno, Tucker and Mathis Jr, these guys weren't jokes. They were very dangerous.

Who the fuck has Chael beat? Paulo 'I see dead people' Filho, Nate Marquardt, Michael Bisping (arguably lost) and a far past prime Shogun Rua? Please. Chael has fought tons of cans throughout his career. He should keep his mouth shut. He only has a few notable wins. Fuck, most people know him from his fights with Anderson, two of which he lost. At least Tyson is known for knocking people senseless and not folding with ease every time the fight isn't going his way. Chael is a notorious quitter, basically lost to all the elite guys he fought. This guy should keep his mouth shut.

The comparison between Ronda and Tyson is a joke. Tyson fought far more dangerous opposition in his time than Ronda is doing now. Ronda hasn't beaten anybody even comparable to what Tyson has done and I am, and always will be a huge Ronda supporter, well before her UFC days. I can understand that she is fighting the best the sport has to offer right now in her division, but comparing it to Tyson's resume is hilarious.

Proof that Chael doesn't know anything about the sport of boxing.

Tyson didn't fight in the best era of HW's but he was still damn good and I believe he would've been successful in any era. Tyson did fight some very legit guys, very dangerous guys and he knocked them out. Tyson didn't go undefeated for however many fights for no reason.

There were guys that Tyson fought that didn't have big names that could've been big stars but didn't have the right management/team behind them, too. If you read Tyson's book, he talks about quite a few guys he fought and beat and how they could've amounted to something big but never made it because they had the wrong people behind them.

It's not all about their name, it's about skill. There were a lot of skilled guys that Tyson fought that didn't have a big name, but they were still very good boxers. Tyson beat some bad motherfuckers. Berbick, Spinks, Holmes, Razor, may be his biggest wins - but Bruno, Tucker and Mathis Jr, these guys weren't jokes. They were very dangerous.

Who the fuck has Chael beat? Paulo 'I see dead people' Filho, Nate Marquardt, Michael Bisping (arguably lost) and a far past prime Shogun Rua? Please. Chael has fought tons of cans throughout his career. He should keep his mouth shut. He only has a few notable wins. Fuck, most people know him from his fights with Anderson, two of which he lost. At least Tyson is known for knocking people senseless and not folding with ease every time the fight isn't going his way. Chael is a notorious quitter, basically lost to all the elite guys he fought. This guy should keep his mouth shut.

The comparison between Ronda and Tyson is a joke. Tyson fought far more dangerous opposition in his time than Ronda is doing now. Ronda hasn't beaten anybody even comparable to what Tyson has done and I am, and always will be a huge Ronda supporter, well before her UFC days. I can understand that she is fighting the best the sport has to offer right now in her division, but comparing it to Tyson's resume is hilarious.

Well said. I've very glad that shadow didn't eat you. Ronda is more comparable to Royce Gracie or Jack Dempsy, guys who dominated in the earliest days of their respective sports.

I love Chael but he needs a nice warm cup of "Shut the Fuck up".

You don't talk shit about about Mike Tyson. I hope he runs into Mike and gets added to that list of "Bums".

Well, it would have been nice to see him fight Bowe, Moorer, Morrison or Foreman, among a few others.

He would never fight foreman. He felt like foreman was pretending to play the "old man" card to throw off his opponents. He thought Foreman was just as dangerous as ever and never wanted to fight him. Foreman was the boxr him and Cus studied the most.

Sonnen's got charisma yadda yadda yadda...but just recently I listened to some of his podcast work talking about pro-wrestling, and for a guy who pretends to be some lifelong fan he was basically just phoning it in. He didn't know sh1t.

Sounds like Sonnen(R) really wants back in the good graces of the UFC.

He would never fight foreman. He felt like foreman was pretending to play the "old man" card to throw off his opponents. He thought Foreman was just as dangerous as ever and never wanted to fight him. Foreman was the boxr him and Cus studied the most.

pretty sure that was Liston.

The thing about Tyson is, if you insult him to his face, he's still crazy enough that he will respond by beating your ass. I would love to see Chael spectacularly KO'd by a Tyson uppercut. But we all saw how Chael acts when confronted and no one is there to protect him.

Back