Chael Sonnen is arguably the WORST matchup for Vitor for anyone under 205.

By this laughable standard, Maia has a shit guard.

Vitor Belfort has some of the best armbars from guard in all of mma.

Um how does that make sense? Maia has plenty of submissions off of his back.

Then how come he's never hit a single one in MMA?

being a legit BJJ blackbelt under Carlson Gracie has some weight, he also competed and placed in ADCC... his BJJ is under rated.

Belt only covers 2 inches of your ass. While placing at ADCC is impression, this was 13 years ago when BJJ and ADCC wasn't anywhere near where it is now. Just the year before that Tito also got a bronze medal at ADCC. Is Tito great off his back too?

he beat up stann and marquart pretty well. And anderson in the first fight. Handled shogun easily. He puts pressure on people. Besides jones and evans lol

he beat up shogun? Lol ill have to re watch that one, and i didnt think he "beat" up either stann or marquart
the guy does enough to win a fight thats about it, cant take a punch and cant take being put in a bad position, his mouth is by the far the greatest part of his game

he beat up shogun? Lol ill have to re watch that one, and i didnt think he "beat" up either stann or marquart
the guy does enough to win a fight thats about it, cant take a punch and cant take being put in a bad position, his mouth is by the far the greatest part of his game

Stann was never in the fight. Shogun got a takedown an that is about it. Marquardt was handled aswell.

If there's anything everyone should know about Vitor is that he does not generally do well in longer fights. He does not take pressure well, and folds when the fight does not go his way.

If he cannot put Chael away within the first half of the fight, and if Chael can impose his will for that time, Vitor will likely fold.

The question is: can Vitor defend the takedown. Few have, against Chael, notoriously bigger and stronger wreslters like Jones or Rashad. I think this is a lot closer than we think.

Um how does that make sense? Maia has plenty of submissions off of his back.

Then how come he's never hit a single one in MMA?

Belt only covers 2 inches of your ass. While placing at ADCC is impression, this was 13 years ago when BJJ and ADCC wasn't anywhere near where it is now. Just the year before that Tito also got a bronze medal at ADCC. Is Tito great off his back too?

Vitor started out with BJJ first, he has been a black belt for ages, their are not that many people that are black belts under Carlson gracie... I know belts don't always mean something but he is def no slouch on the mat... also two of the guys he beat at ADCC are the only people ever to submit Nate Marquardt...

Vitor started out with BJJ first, he has been a black belt for ages, their are not that many people that are black belts under Carlson gracie... I know belts don't always mean something but he is def no slouch on the mat... also two of the guys he beat at ADCC are the only people ever to submit Nate Marquardt...

I'm not saying he's a bad grappler, I'm saying he isn't great off his back. Dude has NEVER submitted an opponent from his back in MMA. Dudes barely ever done more than get a sweep in MMA. If you can take Vitor down and keep him there you win.

That's really all there is to it. Nothing else amtters.

From the second this fight came out I thought Vitor was INSANE for signing for it. He already has a title shot, and Chael is a terrible opponent for him. Props for manning up, but style wise, this is VERY tough for Vitor.

Chael is tough, he tapped to strikes in like what? A minute?

Vitor is no easy win for anyone. He is always dangerous.

But of the top 5 MW's Vitor is the best matchup for Chael or the one the UFC determined has the biggest name value Chael could maybe beat.

I'm not saying he's a bad grappler, I'm saying he isn't great off his back. Dude has NEVER submitted an opponent from his back in MMA. Dudes barely ever done more than get a sweep in MMA. If you can take Vitor down and keep him there you win.

Vitor rarely has to use his BJJ, he has 17 wins by TKO/KO, like shogun and other strikers with BJJ backgrounds, he uses his bjj to get back on his feet.. Sonnen does pose a threat with his forwarding moving style.. but I see him getting punished with strikes when he is going in for his takedowns...

Also if this fight is at MW, chael was rumor'd to be at 232 a couple days ago, dropping 47 lbs in a month will affect his cardio

I think sonnen might get a TD or two, but i don't really expect him to wrestlefuck vitor for a decision. He will probably get caught with something and finished. Chael gets finished quickly if he doesn't have top position.

He's too busy wheel kicking them in the head...INTO THE CORNER WITH YOU!

From the second this fight came out I thought Vitor was INSANE for signing for it. He already has a title shot, and Chael is a terrible opponent for him. Props for manning up, but style wise, this is VERY tough for Vitor.

In what world!? Vitor is going to fold this guy like his sunday's best bro!

Vitor rarely has to use his BJJ, he has 17 wins by TKO/KO, like shogun and other strikers with BJJ backgrounds, he uses his bjj to get back on his feet.. Sonnen does pose a threat with his forwarding moving style.. but I see him getting punished with strikes when he is going in for his takedowns...

Also if this fight is at MW, chael was rumor'd to be at 232 a couple days ago, dropping 47 lbs in a month will affect his cardio

He's too busy wheel kicking them in the head...INTO THE CORNER WITH YOU!

Except 7 of his losses are him essentially being taken down and kept on his back where he was pretty ineffective offensively.

The big question mark is how each of these guys will be off of TRT.

Without it I see it boiling down like this:

Vitor has the kind of power in both his hands and his feet to KO almost anyone. He has subs, although in all of his fights he only has 3 submissions. He has in the past also had a tough time stylistically with wrestlers. Also his cardio, although solid, seems to fade significantly in later rounds.

Chael does not have crazy strikes or ungodly KO power. What Chael has is cardio that does not quit. He also has a great power double, a fantastic top game, he also has an ever improving submission game.

Vitor can end it with one strike, however Chael is very crafty. It's a close one, but I think Chael will do enough to tire Vitor out in the first round and then significantly out work him in the second and third in order to snag a decision or submission win.

Then Weidman or Lyoto gets a free Chael snack since they are both hands down the worst style matchups for Chael (and Vitor for that matter).

He also reminds me of Hendo, cardio aside, and he got kicked in the face.

Shogun was most definately handled. Instant takedowns for Sonnen, hit a sweet lateral drop, and then crowned Shogun as "The Brazilian Who Tapped."

And yeah, Stan was worked over and subbed.

Marquart was also beat up pretty fucking bad, had a decent sweep in the 3rd and threatened a few times with guillotines, but beyond that Chael beath seven shades of shit out of him.

Badpostisbad

Except 7 of his losses are him essentially being taken down and kept on his back where he was pretty ineffective offensively.

Lol dude! from like 10-17 years ago, by big wrestlers (for the most part). 17 years ago (around the time vitor lost his first fight to couture), Kobe averaged 7 points a game and cost the lakers the play offs against the jazz... is that how you remember kobe??

Lets keep things a little more relevant...

oUdJm9K.jpg

The big question mark is how each of these guys will be off of TRT.

Without it I see it boiling down like this:

Vitor has the kind of power in both his hands and his feet to KO almost anyone. He has subs, although in all of his fights he only has 3 submissions. He has in the past also had a tough time stylistically with wrestlers. Also his cardio, although solid, seems to fade significantly in later rounds.

Chael does not have crazy strikes or ungodly KO power. What Chael has is cardio that does not quit. He also has a great power double, a fantastic top game, he also has an ever improving submission game.

Vitor can end it with one strike, however Chael is very crafty. It's a close one, but I think Chael will do enough to tire Vitor out in the first round and then significantly out work him in the second and third in order to snag a decision or submission win.

Then Weidman or Lyoto gets a free Chael snack since they are both hands down the worst style matchups for Chael (and Vitor for that matter).

as of the past couple of years, have you seen vitors cardio fade?

and how is chaels cardio going to be when he is cutting from 232 to 185 in a month?

Back