Chael Sonnen is arguably the WORST matchup for Vitor for anyone under 205.

Let's describe Chael Sonnen:

Practically Unlimited Cardio
Big
Strong
Tough
Solid Chin
Grinder
Active with strikes
Lifelong American Wrestler with international experience at Greco Roman

Remind you of somebody?

couture_02_9985.jpg

Obviously, the best guys at 205 are better than Chael but purely from a stylistic POV, Sonnen is poison for Belfort.

Fascinating fight

Every time Chael gets touched in the chin hard he quits so...

Folds like a chair under pressure

That's Vitor alright.

I can't wait to see this fight go to the third round with a bruised up Chael and an exhausted Vitor. If this were a 5 rounder we might see the first double submission.

Vitor has literally never subbed anyone in MMA off his back. EVER. A close armbar on Jon Jones does not make him a submission wizard.

being a legit BJJ blackbelt under Carlson Gracie has some weight, he also competed and placed in ADCC... his BJJ is under rated.

chael folds very, very easily.

Sonnen has to fight a flawless fight to win, and he has a history of fucking those up. Vitor's a strong guy with some good TDD, has good subs, his guard is hard to pass, and he needs one opening on the feet to change the outcome.

Chael candidly describes his opponents, Vitor steadily gets his praise, probably for the reason that he recognizes that it's a tough one for him.

Sonnen will likely get the decision if he manages to not get finished. That top control scoring.

Yup. But if Vitor hits him with a decent shot early I can see Chael folding like an accordion.

Chael will beat him up.

I honestly cant remember the last time chael beat anyone up, be a shocking way for the fight to end tho ill give ya that
Chael either lays on him for a cpl rounds winning on points or gets put to sleep imo

I honestly cant remember the last time chael beat anyone up, be a shocking way for the fight to end tho ill give ya that
Chael either lays on him for a cpl rounds winning on points or gets put to sleep imo

He beat up stann and marquart pretty well. And anderson in the first fight. Handled shogun easily. He puts pressure on people. Besides jones and evans lol

Chael is a world class mediocrity who has never won anything significant or beaten almost anyone of worth. One out of shape Shogun win aside, Sonnen got humiliated by JJ, Rashad, Anderson. Belfort would retire him. Violently

Kennedy.

He would make Vitor look very bad. That's exactly why Vitor refused to fight him.

Vitor isn't afraid to throw subs off his back, Chael has been triangled or armbarred what like 8 times?

true, but that was before he started training with Vinny. In his second fight against Anderson you could already see the improvement in his ground game. He also controlled Shogun very well on the ground and submitted him. I think his game has evolved in that area.
Vitor is the favorite though. No question there.

Chael hasn't laid in people's guards since the first Anderson fight, and he's subbed two fighters since then. He's greatly improved his BJJ.

People are saying Vitor will KO Chael, but Chael has never been knocked out.

Also, Chael's cardio is much better than Vitor's.

Chael hasn't laid in people's guards since the first Anderson fight, and he's subbed two fighters since then. He's greatly improved his BJJ.

I guess Tito can use the same argument, crumbling to the ground isn't being knocked out.

Simple fight analysis, I believe.

Can Sonnen get the TD? If not, he's done. Vitor will starch him inside of 2 rounds.

Sonnen will quit as soon as he fails getting a TD and Vitor hits him a couple times.

Great thread TS and you make some good points. I still think Vitor has the edge but wouldn't be surprised if Chael pulls the upset.

Good comparison TS. I think Vitor has an uphill fight here. He's been on a great roll but it's a terrible matchup for him.

Let's describe Chael Sonnen:

Practically Unlimited Cardio
Big
Strong
Tough
Solid Chin
Grinder
Active with strikes
Lifelong American Wrestler with international experience at Greco Roman

Remind you of somebody?

couture_02_9985.jpg

Obviously, the best guys at 205 are better than Chael but purely from a stylistic POV, Sonnen is poison for Belfort.

Fascinating fight

TS you added a few things just to try and get your point across for relating it to Randy. The easy answer is always going to be to point to Vitors not so recent past. The reality is Vitor is nowhere near the same fighter he used to be.

Some people said the same thing about the Henderson fight, we all know what happend in that one. :icon_lol:

Back