Chad Mendes Sets the Record Straight (Video)

He's just saying what most reasonable people know and said after the fight. Fighters can't fight anywhere near peak against top competition when you've only had a short camp to prepare for it. Add in the media obligations and that he spent a lot of that camp cutting weight and that's no way to prepare for a title fight.

Media obligations? Don't recall him doing much media in the build up aside from having the Embedded camera following him around & one press conference.

with so many fighters pulling out due to injuries, it would make all the more sense to have same-day weigh-ins. because the main reason fighters can't get in "fight shape" within two weeks notice is that they have to put all their effort into losing weight.
so by having same-day weigh-ins, fighters wouldn't be as hesitant to take fights on short notice and be able to perform better when they do.

If you have the fight DVR'd or fight pass and watch it again, you'll see the first shot that knocks the wind out of him. It's 45 seconds in - a spinning back kick to the upper part of Mendes' torso. Mendes starts circling to his right. Conor throws two straight kicks to the belly after that, the second of which Mendes catches & throws his leg away, when you'd think a takedown would be the obvious move to make. You can hear Conor saying "ya tired already?"

I think he's carrying too much muscle as well. And a lot of people forget Mendes only went the full 5 rounds once before this. Having one 5 round fight is hardly holding much of an experience advantage.

Yeah, about 20 seconds into the fight Conor lands a snap kick and Chad catches it, and doesn't have the energy to take advantage. Then Conor says "You tired already?"

At that point, I think Chad was taking a few deep breaths even then.

Mendes is just being honest and none of it should be a mystery to people.

I don't agree with him that Conor is an easy fight for him but I absolutely agree that from a sporting/reputation perspective at least, Conor owes him that rematch (provided of course that Chad takes care of business on his end).

Also interesting to me was Mendes suggesting that Conor might bail on 145 very soon. I've been saying this for the past 6 months or so.

The signs are there for anyone to see:

- Conor not just looking shriveled up when making weight, but also barely able to string words together
- IV ban
- Conor choosing TUF over fighting Aldo, maximizing his time with the interim belt and thus consolidating the image that he is a champion because he knows that win or lose, he will not stick around

Conor has been talking about moving up to 155 long before Mendes mentioned it. His "he better not bail on the division" comment, trying to goad Conor to stick around is hardly going to make Conor re-think his plans just because he said that.

Conor owes him nothing. He could have easily bailed and waited for Aldo to recover & not forgetting he probably made Mendes more money in the one night than over his whole career.

I think he was winning up until he decided to let Conor up. Why he went for the sub instead of playing it safe in the guard, landing elbows is anyone's guess...

The answer is actually quite obvious: Mendes knew his conditioning was nowhere near good enough to go 5 rounds so he precipitated everything hoping to get the finish: was very aggressive with the TDs and gambled on the submission when he normally would take his time, ensuring that he at least had the round in his pocket.

Everything points to Mendes having 2 week cardio. Fanboys just refusing to acknowledge it because they need this win to be 100% legit.

There is NO WAY any fighter can be in 5 round fight shape in 2 weeks of MMA training.

Mendes BEATS McGregor into submission by the 3rd round 10 out of 10 times when given a full camp. It's not even close. Connor would be his bitch.

Conor has been talking about moving up to 155 long before Mendes mentioned it. His "he better not bail on the division" comment, trying to goad Conor to stick around is hardly going to make Conor re-think his plans just because he said that.

Conor owes him nothing. He could have easily bailed and waited for Aldo to recover & not forgetting he probably made Mendes more money in the one night than over his whole career.

Conor has talked about 155 but never said he's move there without defending the belt. This is what Mendes is talking about, obviously.

And everyone knows that Conor fought the weakest version of Mendes possible, which is one reason why he didn't bail. Another is that if he did, Dana would lynch him the way he did Jones when he refused the Chael fight.

He didn't have a full training camp. It is obvious. How anyone can deny that is just silly. You can't run a 4 or 5 minute mile on 2 weeks training either. Doesn't matter, he made $500,000 for that fight, he made out ok for 10 hard minutes.

Are you a fucking fighter?

Have you been in a 5 round fight?

Then how the fuck do you know what it takes to gas and not to gas in a fight.

This is the most disgusting and shameful post I have ever seen.

Dude, he is a professional fighter. I don't care how short his camp is, he wasn't gassed in the first minute and he was still getting tagged over and over. ya, he may have been gassed when conor ko'd him, but not in that first minute. Only reason chad even went for the takedown, cause he was getting owned in the standup. He was getting tagged, long before he gassed. Then again, after the first minute, of taking those bodyshots, chad was breathing out of his mouth. sure sing of fatigue. That was from body shots, not a shortened camp.

The answer is actually quite obvious: Mendes knew his conditioning was nowhere near good enough to go 5 rounds so he precipitated everything hoping to get the finish: was very aggressive with the TDs and gambled on the submission when he normally would take his time, ensuring that he at least had the round in his pocket.

Everything points to Mendes having 2 week cardio. Fanboys just refusing to acknowledge it because they need this win to be 100% legit.

Chad couldn't take his time, much the same way guys can't take their time against nick diaz. conor is even worse. He pushes a very very fast pace, not giving you a chance to take your time. Mendez alleged short camp, doesn't explain why he was getting killed in the first 2 minutes of the fight. While people say he wasn't in shape for a 5 round fight, what about for a 2 round fight. Cause it never even went a full 2 rounds...

What about conor not being able to train wrestling at all, cause of a knee injury? People seem to be over looking that.

He's just saying what most reasonable people know and said after the fight. Fighters can't fight anywhere near peak against top competition when you've only had a short camp to prepare for it. Add in the media obligations and that he spent a lot of that camp cutting weight and that's no way to prepare for a title fight.

No doubt. There's often a reason the loser lost. Not being able to accept it makes him a poor loser.

Complains about not being "in 5 round fight shape"

Loses inside 2 rounds.

Shut up Chad.

Yeah, about 20 seconds into the fight Conor lands a snap kick and Chad catches it, and doesn't have the energy to take advantage. Then Conor says "You tired already?"

At that point, I think Chad was taking a few deep breaths even then.

Conor landed about 7 body shots in the first minute. The first one was pretty hard and it landed 18 seconds into the fight. The next 6 or so body shots were not super hard, but they were adding up and involved a spinning kick and a straight left to the body. Then with 3:45 seconds left in the round Conor spins and lands an absolute monster kick that he lands with his heel to Chad's belly right in the diaphragm. The diaphragm is what makes your lungs work. lol. Chad doesn't do anything at all for the next 30 seconds of the fight. He has shit movement, he couldn't throw strikes he was desperately trying to recover. He is lying if he says the body shots didn't hurt and affect his gas tank.

Mendez alleged short camp

LOL yeah, 'alleged' ...so to recap: Conor had all the disadvantages, Mendes meanwhile was 100% ready and fighting as if he had cardio to go 5 rounds. Thanks for sharing that amazing story with me.

No doubt. There's often a reason the loser lost. Not being able to accept it makes him a poor loser.

This doesn't even make sense. He didn't mention it at first, appeared to have moved on and was happily plugging his upcoming Edgar fight. Kenny then specifically asks him at the end of interview: "did the short camp affect you in the Conor fight?"

What's he supposed to say? No? I think any reasonable person knows the short camp had a significant effect on his performance.

Why can't people respect the fact that he gave several classy and no excuses interviews immediately after the fight, and during the post-fight press conference (which must have been incredibly hard to do). And he's now just stating the obvious and his personal feelings when prompted to do so by journalists.

If anything, he comes across composed, ready to move on, and not in denial in the least. He wants a rematch and IMO his performance merits one.

Last edited:
LOL yeah, 'alleged' ...so to recap: Conor had all the disadvantages, Mendes meanwhile was 100% ready and fighting as if he had cardio to go 5 rounds. Thanks for sharing that amazing story with me.

LOL....Who is the one telling stories? Chad is the one running his mouth because he is DESPERATE for another Big Pay Day. Did you hear the desperation at the end of that clip? "Conor better not go up to 155...I deserve that rematch!" His fight previous to Conor against Lamas netted him $50K. He made $500K fighting Conor. I would run my mouth too if I could earn more in one fight than I could fighting in 10 fights against average guys.

Unfortunately for Chad, Conor will be ten times better than he was in that fight if they ever face off again.

Totally lost respect for Mendes with this one... Too bad. Used to like the guy. Now I hope he loses to Frankie The Decision Machine.

You gas in the championship rounds with a short camp. You don't "gas" in the first.

But it's clear Conor stole his soul. This ongoing, ever-growing excuse shit over 189 is the evidence. Chad's old character as a classy, professional competitor has been radically altered. McGregor's fists are the reason.

NV0cb.gif

This doesn't even make sense. He didn't mention it at first, appeared to have moved on and was happily plugging his upcoming Edgar fight. Kenny then specifically asks him at the end of interview: "did the short camp affect you in the Conor fight?"

What's he supposed to say? No? I think any reasonable person knows the short camp had a significant effect on his performance.

Why can't people respect the fact that he gave several classy and no excuses interviews immediately after the fight, and during the post-fight press conference (which must have been incredibly hard to do). And he's now just stating the obvious and his personal feelings when prompted to do so by journalists.

If anything, he comes across composed, ready to move on, and not in denial in the least. He wants a rematch and IMO his performance merits one.

He could have said yes.

But he instead goes on to lie about the body shots not hurting and the goes to say he beats him 10/10 times on a full camp and says he deserves a rematch.

If he just said "Yeah it affected me, but I'm gonna prove I deserve another shot and show that with a full camp I can beat this guy."

If he said that, I'd have a lot more respect for him.

Back