Chad Mendes: Frankie Edgar's camp didn't want to fight me

Let me start by making it very clear. Edgar has fantastic wrestling in this sport.

I for one sure as hell didn't consider either Bendo or BJ to have wrestling on the level of Edgar. Maynard? pretty close but still considered Edgar to have the advantage. Faber? Not slightly close.

Mendes is a completely different story than any of them, and by a significant margin.

As far as Aldo goes?

Edgar got absolutely nowhere with Aldo. His biggest moment of the fight was 1 TD that last .5 seconds. Mendes however had success a number of times but simply couldn't capitalize because Aldo is so good.

Maynard's wrestling is top of the food chain and he dwarfs Mendes. Then there was Sherk...

Maynard's wrestling is top of the food chain and he dwarfs Mendes. Then there was Sherk...

Exactly. Not only that, but the poster you quoted said that Mendes had more success with grappling Aldo, and that's simply not true.

Frankie is the size of your average BW who was the LW champ and now fights at FW. He isn't worried about fighting Mendes.

They were probably declining because maybe they thought they could negotiate a better deal. I know he wanted to fight Conor while Aldo healed up. I mean Frankie has been the #1 contender for a really long time.

Frankie is the size of your average BW who was the LW champ and now fights at FW. He isn't worried about fighting Mendes.

They were probably declining because maybe they thought they could negotiate a better deal. I know he wanted to fight Conor while Aldo healed up. I mean Frankie has been the #1 contender for a really long time.

Mendes has actually stepped in front of that title shot twice now. He was supposed to be after Swanson, but got bumped to before. I consider Frankie's shot to be the continuation of Swanson's shot, which he forcibly removed. Then Mendes, for reasons known only to Lorenzo, was chosen to be the sub for Aldo in the McGregor fight.

Maynard does in fact have great wrestling and he is considerably larger than Mendes. He's also way slower, way less explosive, and not as a good a wrestler as Chad.

Sherk? Not on Chad's level.

Exactly. Not only that, but the poster yu quoted said that Mendes had more success with grappling Aldo, and that's simply not true.

WTF? I just don't get it.

There is video proof anyone can verify. Mendes clearly had better success in the wrestling department than Edgar did vs Aldo. I have absolutely no idea why you would think of arguing otherwise.

If you're not going to be honest, there is no point in trying to handicap this fight. It will get you nowhere.

Maynard does in fact have great wrestling and he is considerably larger than Mendes. He's also way slower, way less explosive, and not as a good a wrestler as Chad.

Sherk? Not on Chad's level.

I guarantee you this fight is going to be won on the feet. Neither will have any measure of success keeping the other down, except possibly Frankie in rounds 4 and 5. Punching power goes to Chad, hand speed is pretty comparable, other than that it's all Frankie.

If you didn't care, then why bring the subject up with comments like this?

Do you disagree that you brought up the idea of a title shot being given to the winner? is that not what this means?

I'm just questioning your reasoning, man. Relax. So, do you think Mendes gets a title shot with a win over Edgar? lol

I didn't bring the subject up. Another poster said they shouldn't fight because it would ruin a title fight and I pointed out that both guys have already fought for the title. Hence there's little at stake except a rematch.

I don't care at all whether Mendes gets a title shot later on. The two fights I want to see in the division are Conor/Aldo and Mendes/Edgar. Those are what interest me. Pondering the future hypothetical decisions of Sean Shelby is boring to me. Moving on...

There is video proof anyone can verify. Mendes clearly had better success in the wrestling department than Edgar did vs Aldo. I have absolutely no idea why you would think of arguing otherwise.

If you're not going to be honest, there is no point in trying to handicap this fight. It will get you nowhere.

Chad also got to fight Aldo twice, that makes a difference. Honestly neither of them were very effective against Aldo.

Mendes has 1 takedown over 2 fights, and Frankie has 2 takedowns in 1 fight.

http://www.fightmetric.com/fighter-details/d0f3959b4a9747e6

Edgar took Aldo down twice, and one of them was a slam. Mendes took Aldo down once.

Neither Mendes or Edgar controlled him. Edgar also has a better track record against elite wrestlers in MMA.

Last edited:
All this "Chad doesn't deserve it" idiocy is hilarious.

The guy took a fight on 2 weeks notice. You don't punish him for it. You reward him for it. He should not slip in the standings because he helped the UFC in a tight spot.

I don't even know what you mean by this.

The fight with Aldo fell through so they turned to the next ranked guy to replace him.

If you are basing title fights strictly on rankings, it should have been Aldo-Mendes III instead of Aldo-McGregor. McGregor got a title shot in part because he had not fought for the title before. Frankie should have been next based on not fighting for the title recently.

The guy took a fight on 2 weeks notice. You don't punish him for it. You reward him for it. He should not slip in the standings because he helped the UFC in a tight spot.

Frankie was next up for a title shot, and he was screaming to take Aldo's place before Mendes name even came up. He also took a fight on 2 weeks notice, except the part where they had no interest in giving it to him. Apparently a guy who is harder to hit with an endless gas tank and a little more reach than Mendes wasn't the right fit.

Half a million dollars and a chance at an interim belt isn't enough of an award?

Last edited:
They aren't so I don't know what your point is.

And yet they picked the #1 ranked guy who had in fact already lost the division's most recent title fight.

They picked a guy 0-2 vs Aldo on a 1 fight winning streak over a guy 0-1 vs Aldo on a 4 fight winning streak. Decisions are either made based strictly on rankings, or they are not based strictly on rankings. Given that the #3 contender was given the original title shot, I would say the latter.

Back