Chad Mendes: Frankie Edgar's camp didn't want to fight me

Well Mendes is coming off a loss, and Frankie has only lost to Aldo at 145.

I had a lot of respect for Mendes after the Conor fight, but honestly, the way he has been acting since the fight has changed that.

Before the fight all we heard was "I train year round, I'm ready, I don't need a full camp, blah blah blah".. from him and everyone else. I get you have to say that to sell the fight, but they went beyond that. They truly believed it.

Then when McGregor destroyed him he started to sing a different tune about how with a full camp, he wins the fight.

So with a full camp he wouldn't have been hit by 20+ body shots?

Why the fuck would Edgar want this fight when he's been next in line for a title shot for over a year really? If Edgar did beat Frankie (won't happen), then what? If Aldo beats McGregor, who the hell wants to see Mendes vs Aldo 3 after Mendes lost the first 2?

Conor vs Mendes (if both of them win) can be a big rematch but would be better saved to happen down the line. UFC is always rushing these fights. Chad would be 0-2 against McGregor AND Aldo, and would probably not get a title shot any time in the near future.

It's just a stupid fight.... and Mendes' attitude couldn't be worse. No hint of being humble at all.

After he lost to Aldo he whined about how he was on PEDs. Now post Conor loss he whines about the things that just a few months ago he stated he was in control of (the shape he was in, etc).

Why would anyone want to support someone like that? It honestly seems to me like he is trying to find reasons that he lost as excuses in his own mind. He thinks if he puts it out there in the media over and over, that maybe he can convince people.. when honestly, he can't even convince himself. He knows why he lost. He remembers what his internal organs and his gut felt like when he was getting hit with kick after kick, punch after punch.

He'd gas just as quickly with a full camp after being hit by those shots.

Sorry Chad.. Stop acting like that and people won't hate on you. Be humble in defeat.
Actually the notice was the cause but the body shots killed him. He gassed on the first takedown. It was at that moment I regretted betting on him.
I would give mendes a better chance if he had a better camp. Yes mcgregor came in injured so did mendes. I would love to see a rematch between the two no excuses. Also you can say that conor had to make the switch between muay thai/ jiu jitsu fighter and wrestler. That doesn't change the fact that conor still had a full camp. Mendes did not. He was hyping the fight. He is not the Gym Rat like silly dilly. Duane Ludwig needs to take mendes under his wing again.

Truth hurts.
Doesn't hurt me but I would still love to see a rematch between the two. Mendes is getting the fight because he is being rewarded for 189. Should have been edgar but we all know why he chose mendes. Dana said it didn't make sense for edgar to get the shot which makes no sense.

Actually I didn't bring it up, you did when you said

And then you went and did a 180 with

You talk about rematches when it suits your agenda, then you flip the script, then I ask you a simple question and It's suddenly:

hqdefault.jpg

You're being difficult for absolutely no reason. Why make a thread if you don't want to discuss it?

Because you're not actually discussing anything. Discussion needs to flow smoothly. I make a point. And then you either agree or disagree and counter that point.

Where do you get from me stating the fact that both guys have fought for the title already to you fantasizing about whether Mendes would get a title shot off of beating Edgar? Why is that a relevant line of questioning?

What argument are you trying to make here? I don't see any.

Yeah, wrong on the grappler front. I meant a wrestler style of fighter like Guida who puts the pressure on from start to finish. Dos Anjos is similar in that regard, but Pettis did seem to be affected early on with the blurred vision from the punch he got caught with.

Hes not a wrestler style of fighter like Guida. He's also a striker.

I don't know why they are trying so hard to protect McGregor from Frankie. It's not like he's getting through Aldo anyhow.

Doesn't hurt me but I would still love to see a rematch between the two. Mendes is getting the fight because he is being rewarded for 189. Should have been edgar but we all know why he chose mendes. Dana said it didn't make sense for edgar to get the shot which makes no sense.

Mendes should learn how to defend body kicks and control distance better. Until then, I see a similar result.

Yep, its a great fight just bad timing.....

It's a bit late IMO, it should have been Edgar vs Mendes in Austin instead of Cub. Logically Conor should have fought Cub after his win over Porier. The timing was perfect for that match, but that's a different topic.

Frankie vs Mendes is going to be a great fight and I'm very excited for it. If Edgar wins then it locks him in with the guaranteed next title shot.

If Mendes wins, it puts him right back in the title picture no matter who wins Aldo/McGregor. I wouldn't mind Aldo vs Mendes III honestly. Plus Frankie at 135 sounds fun too.

Mendes should learn how to defend body kicks and control distance better. Until then, I see a similar result.

Or, he takes him down and passes his guard that was the only time he had conor in trouble.

Where do you get from me stating the fact that both guys have fought for the title already to you fantasizing about whether Mendes would get a title shot off of beating Edgar?

Maybe because you said:

There's nothing at stake here other than another rematch. .

You don't see the connection? You don't see why I'd ask "you think Mendes gets a rematch with this win?"

Because you're not actually discussing anything.

Um, because you won't allow me to? you bring up a topic and then refuse to answer questions about it. Questions are part of a discussion. Hold up your part of the discussion.

Discussion needs to flow smoothly. I make a point. And then you either agree or disagree and counter that point.

That is factually an incorrect definition of how discussion works. Not only that, but you never made a point, in fact you refuse to make a point.

Who taught you that discussions don't include questions and answers? discussions certainly include questions and answers. Your refusal to answer my question is a sign of weakness in your own self belief. You're failing to upkeep your half of the discussion. You brought up a topic, I asked about the topic, then you dodged the question as usual.That's a pussy move man.

Ninja-Zuma.jpg

I'll ask one more time, and if you don't answer I'll assume you're a troll or irrelevant: Do you think that Mendes gets a title shot with a win over Edgar?

I know a definite answer is a bit too masculine for you, but can you please try?

Last edited:
Me des has become tiresome lately

Maybe because you said:

You don't see the connection? You don't see why I'd ask "you think Mendes gets a rematch with this win?"

Um, because you won't allow me to? you bring up a topic and then refuse to answer questions about it. Questions are part of a discussion. Hold up your part of the discussion.

That is factually an incorrect definition of how discussion works.
Who taught you that discussions don't include questions and answers? discussions certainly include questions and answers. Your refusal to answer my question is a sign of weakness in your own self belief. You're failing to upkeep your half of the discussion. You brought up a topic, I asked about the topic, then you dodged the question as usual.That's a pussy move man.

Ninja-Zuma.jpg

I'll ask one more time, and if you don't answer I'll assume you're a troll or irrelevant: Do you think that Mendes gets a title shot with a win over Edgar?

I know a definite answer is a bit too masculine for you, but can you please try?

Dude, I don't care about your hypothetical question. Don't care whether Mendes gets another title shot. He could get it, Holloway could get it, doesn't matter to me. Its not relevant to anything I've said. Now post something I can agree or disagree with that is relevant to the thread. Because right now you're boring me.

Dude, I don't care about your hypothetical question. Don't care whether Mendes gets another title shot. He could get it, Holloway could get it, doesn't matter to me. Its not relevant to anything I've said. Now post something I can agree or disagree with that is relevant to the thread. Because right now you're boring me.

If you didn't care, then why bring the subject up with comments like this?

There's nothing at stake here other than another rematch.

Do you disagree that you brought up the idea of a title shot being given to the winner? is that not what this means?

There's nothing at stake here other than another rematch.

I'm just questioning your reasoning, man. Relax. So, do you think Mendes gets a title shot with a win over Edgar? lol

Well if anything after the fight is over he will probably wish he took the Holloway fight i just cant see Chad winning this.
Frankie to light on his feet Gas tank too good he durable, he beats Chad on the feet and i think he can out wrestle him too and hes way better in scrambles Chads fucked,But Frankie is the only one who could do that to Chad,Chad beats everyone easily not named Conor,Aldo,Frankie

Chad has similar wrestling, more power and is more explosive overall. Chad is also great at pouncing on hurt opponents. I'll take Chad by TKO.

Chad has similar wrestling, more power and is more explosive overall. Chad is also great at pouncing on hurt opponents. I'll take Chad by TKO.

Frankie is the quicker and better striker in this match up. Mendes has the wrestling but that's about it. They are pretty much even everywhere else.

If Edgar didn't want to fight Mendes, it's because Frankie is on a win streak, and Mendes just loss 3/4 of his last fights, including his last one. I like him, but it's a ridiculous matchup at this point. Frankie either deserves a title shot, or a fight agains Holloway, but a title shot would be ideal, so that one of them (probably Holloway) doesn't get derailed.

Edgar vs Holloway
Aldo vs McGregor

Then

Winner vs Winner
Loser vs Loser

Every match would be amazing.

Also, he said Clay Guida and Nik Lentz would easily win against McGregor. Okay Chad.

Gameplan Guida does pose a unique problem. He can be a wet blanket if he wants to. Pettis is probably a harder fight than McGregor, and he did it to him.

Frankie is the quicker and better striker in this match up. Mendes has the wrestling but that's about it. They are pretty much even everywhere else.

Mendes is very dangerous, but Edgar has more options to win this fight. Mendes best way to win is to somehow cut the cage off and pressure Edgar and force the fight so that MEndes can Counter. If he doesn't do that then he will be waiting on the outside all night, biting on Edgar's feints, and waiting to counter while getting picked apart. Edgar could win that way, or Edgar could try to pressure Mendes. Both Aldo and Conor have shown that Mendes isn't as good on the back foot as he is going forward.

Mendes is very dangerous, but Edgar has more options to win this fight. Mendes best way to win is to somehow cut the cage off and pressure Edgar and force the fight so that MEndes can Counter. If he doesn't do that then he will be waiting on the outside all night, biting on Edgar's feints, and waiting to counter while getting picked apart. Edgar could win that way, or Edgar could try to pressure Mendes. Both Aldo and Conor have shown that Mendes isn't as good on the back foot as he is going forward.

I agree. Mendes is one of the best at 145 but Frankie has the tools to beat him. They are pretty even in almost every area but for some reason my gut is telling me Frankie wins this.

his camp probably didn't want to fight Mendes. he's the most dangerous fighter available, and he just lost by KO. that's not a good fighter to fight when you are close to a title shot.

If Edgar beats him people say that Mendes isn't any good anyway he was just knocked out; if he loses to Mendes then everyone says he has no chance against McGregor.

Back