Catch Wrestling United

Schalles' competition experience and achievement is well documented, up to the world and olympic level. He is in an elite class when it comes to his knowledge of down wrestling through body positioning, weight distribution, leverage and all the other important mechanics of wrestling.

I think they're doing the right thing having him focus on the pinning side of wrestling while he learns from the late Billy Robinson's assistant coaches - who collectively have had several thousand hours of direct coaching from Robinson - and there's a lot of overlap in what Schalles already teaches and what Robinson taught because Catch is a wrestling based art, and the forefather of American scholastic folkstyle and freestyle.

Schalles has never claimed to already be some expert in Catch, he has never sold what he does as Catch, so we get to see him develop into a Catch coach while working with others.

Well of course he hasn't claimed "Catch", he is a wrestler who is a high level Judoka and Samboist. I'm just curious your thoughts on guy with no "Catch" background being the head coach of the "Catch revival".

I'm not trying to make a statement one way or the other, but it seems like it goes against most of what you have championed for in regards to "Catch".

Yes he is a wrestler with Submission skills, but in the past that hasn't been enough for your seal of approval.

***EDIT***. Never mind, I reread your other thread and you said "good choice".

Can anyone shed any light onto any of these questions?

So I guess there a few questions regarding this move ...... Maybe KJ can speak to to them as it seems he has interviewed all involved.

First of all it will be great to get some WRESTLING back into Catch Wrestling.

1. What does it mean to be "Head Coach" at Scientific Wrestling"? They don't have a gym with regular classes full of students right? Billy wasn't "teaching" CATCH at the Scientific Gym, right? They were just setting up seminars and cert courses?

3. If so, is this what they will do for Wade? Set up seminars?

4. The fact that Wade already has BB level grappling in both Judo and Sambo to go with his wrestling means that he won't be teaching "CATCH" holds for awhile, right? Is this influx of Judo and Sambo into Catch ok? Does it make it less Catch and more a hybrid grappling style?

5. It says he will teach wrestling while learning CACC from Robinsons assistant coaches. Who? Sam Kressin? Where is Wade live and where does Sam live? How much training together can they really do? Besides Sam who is there to train/teach Wade? Jake Shannon?

6. What level of Catch Wrestler is Jake Shannon?

7. Is this announcement really have any significant weight to it? Will Wade really attempt to learn a new style of grappling the Billy Robinson way?

There is no 'catch move' or whatever, cacc is wrestling + subs. .. Is it that hard to understand?

There is no 'catch move' or whatever, cacc is wrestling + subs. .. Is it that hard to understand?

There are some signature CACC techniques just as there are signature BJJ techniques (the triangle being the most symbolic in my opinion).

In my opinion leglocks are the signature CACC technique, because they were the signature move of the 90s/early 2000s Lions den and Japanese CACC guys. THis is what set their grappling apart from other grapplers.

And I have said it before and I will say it again, Frank Shamrock vs Goes is one of the best ways to show people fundamental differences between CACC and BJJ.

There are some signature CACC techniques just as there are signature BJJ techniques (the triangle being the most symbolic in my opinion).

In my opinion leglocks are the signature CACC technique, because they were the signature move of the 90s/early 2000s Lions den and Japanese CACC guys. THis is what set their grappling apart from other grapplers.

And I have said it before and I will say it again, Frank Shamrock vs Goes is one of the best ways to show people fundamental differences between CACC and BJJ.

I find it 'hard' to claim some move, but i can agree with, it's no big deal for me.

Saku vs Newton was a good example too.

Yeah, such an awesome fight! I have talked to Frank about it a few times, he says Goes was strong, technical and a mean SOB!

Crazy thing is Goes had been training and competing for over 10yrs before that fight and Frank had been training a little over a year.

Thanks title fight!
4.jpg

For? You don't agree with me bringing up those questions?

Just for the record the triangle is a judo move, not changed or modified in any way by bjj grapplers, just copied, it is a judo "move"

Been too quiet in here...enjoy!

Jack Mountford seminar

More Jack

Sakuraba...who else?

if leg hold proficiency sets cacc apart, it would be in only a relative sense due to the overspecializing tendency of many modern jiujitsu players. a strategy to pursue leglocks as a prior is more sambo in my mind, instead of as a more contingent tactic of backfighting strategy (ideally in my view).

if i had to pick any general theme to distinguish cacc, i would of course emphasize *wrestling*, a coherent sense of 'cacc style' ground fighting must be understood in this context. the benefits of top position cant be overstressed, and if you are confident in your wrestling skills, then returning to your feet becomes a viable strategy from the bottom. this is significant because it is often easier and more prudent to simply attempt to stand up vs attempting a reversal or submission from the bottom.

Last edited:

Trying to document all kinds of subs and techniques, this currently being added to my mega compilation to remind people of possibilities.

Hope you enjoy, and yes, I know not all guys are top guys as do to the place I reside, but many have MMA Fights and some been grappling a few years. Just I have been doing it a very long time as old.

Just in case someone of you are living or visiting south of Spain, Malaga Fuengirola to be exact, please come visit our new academy. Its a jiu-jitsu academy but I am more than happy to show some CACC that I know, spar under Catch-rules or just talk about Catch and show my collection of old-wrestling books.

Por si alguien de ustedes est

Two lineages, one Alliance!

From Snake Pit Wigan FB-page:

"HISTORIC ANNOUNCEMENT

We are pleased to announce that the Billy Wicks foundation and the Snakepit Wigan are uniting under the banner of the Catch Wrestling Alliance. The aim is to promote grass roots development of Catch as Catch Can, as well as support and grow the sport of Catch as catch can through Seminars, tournaments and matches.

Here is the press release

LOS ANGELES, June 16, 2014 -- After months of talks, the two of the last remaining historical Catch Wrestling lineages in the world are uniting their efforts under the Catch Wrestling Alliance banner. The Billy Wicks Foundation (United States) and the Snake Pit Wigan (United Kingdom) are joining forces to support, strengthen, and grow the Catch Wrestling Alliance. The goal is to preserve and grow the sport of pure Catch-as-Catch-Can Wrestling.
The Catch Wrestling Alliance organized by Raul Ramirez, L.Ac., Ph.D., is excited about the collaboration between the two organisations.

Dan I have a brown belt at my academy that loves to just stall in turtle and defend, I will be trying out that hammer lock you showed mid video! Something new he won't be used to!

Back