Capoeira

C

Capoeira

Hey guys/gals:

Have you ever faught against a Capoeirist ? Its a African/Brazilian martial art if you have never heard of it. To give you a background of me, I'm a red court capoeirist with Abada, and is currently taking Muay Thai. Capoeira is, by far, better. Its not the lame TKD crap nor is it Karate. LOL.
If you guys know what it is, it supercedes anything, even Muay Thai, IMO.
The moves for Capoeira (Cap-poo-e-da) have so much unique moves, leaving you breathless by just watching it. Training is also harsh, I doubt anyone of you can hang with it. What do you guys think about it ? Comments ? Compliments ? Complaints?

You only made four posts so far. i suggest you ditch this screen name and start another. i'm sorry, cap is no diff than TKD in terms of effecfiveness. it has been tested and did not do well.

Capoeira is cool but it is honestly not effective for fighting unless you mix it with your Muay Thai. The ginga would work to make for distacting footwork tho.

Most trickbusters are using capoeira and wushu combined. That's a good mix for flashy techniques & visuals.

Oh yeah, I go to Team USA, Capoeira. I'm good friends with Alex and Boonkerd especially and have fought Armando to a very close loss. Team USA just has the atmosphere that works for me tho, no ego and attitude. You know what I'm talking about.

What is this a joke?

Sorry MR. Capoeira but your style is not better than Muay Thai. If it was, it would be widely practiced in MMA. There have been documented cases that Chuteboxe guys in Brazil have beaten the crap out of Capoeria masters.

There are good skills that can come from Capoeira such as rythm, cardio, and unconventional attacks. And u might catch the avg guy on the street with a few hits but I wouldnt think Capoeira would be very good self defense, in that, once youve been taken down, u have no training.

In fact your dancing belongs in movies(The Quest,Pnly the Strong) or in Christina Aguilara videos(Dirty).

Try sparring with some Muay Thai guys usuing just capoeira and u will find out what I mean.

I'd like to see a mention of any capoeirists who have done well in MMA.

I'm sure that it is ok for self defence, but then any contact sportwill do that, even football.

I have been assured by newbie capoeirists that their instructor could kick ass, but any MA could kick ass against untrained opponents.

been playing too much tekken lately?

actually, i know a capoeira guy. maybe i should challenge him.:cool:

Originally posted by STRIKER
Capoeira is cool but it is honestly not effective for fighting unless you mix it with your Muay Thai. The ginga would work to make for distacting footwork tho.

Most trickbusters are using capoeira and wushu combined. That's a good mix for flashy techniques & visuals.

Oh yeah, I go to Team USA, Capoeira. I'm good friends with Alex and Boonkerd especially and have fought Armando to a very close loss. Team USA just has the atmosphere that works for me tho, no ego and attitude. You know what I'm talking about.
You meant Bunkerd not Boonkerd.

Kyokushin Karate + Muay Thai = ultimate standup

Originally posted by masterless
What is this a joke?

Sorry MR. Capoeira but your style is not better than Muay Thai. If it was, it would be widely practiced in MMA. There have been documented cases that Chuteboxe guys in Brazil have beaten the crap out of Capoeria masters.

There are good skills that can come from Capoeira such as rythm, cardio, and unconventional attacks. And u might catch the avg guy on the street with a few hits but I wouldnt think Capoeira would be very good self defense, in that, once youve been taken down, u have no training.

In fact your dancing belongs in movies(The Quest,Pnly the Strong) or in Christina Aguilara videos(Dirty).

Try sparring with some Muay Thai guys usuing just capoeira and u will find out what I mean.
In fact, I have done so and I MAULED the kickboxers. No kidding. They were at their standard level, no newbie shit. We, Capoeirist love to stay low, the ground is our best friend. Trust me, I block with my elbow and will attack right after that. It is deadly, dont underestimate the power of capoeira.

I have no doubts that with the proper training, Capoeira can be an effective style. Because I am a firm believer in the fact that it's the individual who makes the style work. But I respectfully have to remind you my friend to not under estimate Muay Thai or Karate. I have sparred with Capoeristas before and I've thrashed people about, and If the stand up fight doesn't go my way, I can always take you down and introduce you to my world.

Tadarius Thomas and Jeff Ford are the two fighters your going to probably hear from the most in public circles in concerns of Capoeira. Both of them have trained extensivly in other arts and rairly will try to use a pure Capoeira move. Even with all this nieht of them seems to have that great of a record. Tadarius Thomas is 2-3-0 and Jeff Ford has a 4-0 record but confesses he relys more on his Maui Thai then his Capoeira.

With that said I think alot can be kearned from Capoeira. However I view it in the same catagory as I do Judo or Akido. They are IMO an assistant martial art. They will help you get your opponent from one major fighting possition to another. Thats just the way I view it.

Got a friend in capoeira....we were sparrin and he did a cartwheel and I kickied him in the stomach whilst he was upside down......it was pretty funny........

Originally posted by Capoeira
In fact, I have done so and I MAULED the kickboxers. No kidding. They were at their standard level, no newbie shit. We, Capoeirist love to stay low, the ground is our best friend. Trust me, I block with my elbow and will attack right after that. It is deadly, dont underestimate the power of capoeira.

LOL! Mauled!I have to throw up the bullshit flag on this one. Tell me the complete fight /sparring story or lose credibility on this board.

Like to stay low? No shit, you would eat round houses untill you couldnt use your dancing leg. Block with an elbow? Great, sounds like a bit of MT mixed in! After I threw a few hand combos, I'd go for the clinch and introduce u to my knees. Oh? U dont train in the clinch? You need 3 ft of space to spar? My bad. One teep kick and you will be falling on your ass!

The floor is your best freind?
No shit thats prob where u always end up.

I don't let that story sink in to myself. Why? A martial artist does not assume their own MA is unkown. most of ur first post is about "hey theres this MA caled cap. if u dont' know what it is its an MA developed by.......blah blah' you are indeed a newbie (well u admit it), so you think too much of ur "dominating a kickboxer". u probably beat up a red belt in TKD.

Capoeira has a few powerful attacks, unfortunately 90% of your attacks can be blocked by lifting your leg a bit. I know a couple people that train Capoeira, they have fast feet and some hard attacks. The downside is you can see the strong attacks from a mile away, and if you can see the attack from a mile away why use it?

Originally posted by masterless
LOL! Mauled!I have to throw up the bullshit flag on this one. Tell me the complete fight /sparring story or lose credibility on this board.

Like to stay low? No shit, you would eat round houses untill you couldnt use your dancing leg. Block with an elbow? Great, sounds like a bit of MT mixed in! After I threw a few hand combos, I'd go for the clinch and introduce u to my knees. Oh? U dont train in the clinch? You need 3 ft of space to spar? My bad. One teep kick and you will be falling on your ass!

The floor is your best freind?
No shit thats prob where u always end up.
OMG, all i can hear is Blah Blah, Blah Blah. It is so easy to counter actions with talk. Less talk, more action. I never told you i'm a pure Capoeira fighter, I will use some MT but mainly Capoeira. You care to prove what you preach ? I'm from No. california. You care to prove what you preach ?

Originally posted by Beadro
Capoeira has a few powerful attacks, unfortunately 90% of your attacks can be blocked by lifting your leg a bit. I know a couple people that train Capoeira, they have fast feet and some hard attacks. The downside is you can see the strong attacks from a mile away, and if you can see the attack from a mile away why use it?
There are some fake-outs even though most moves are predictable... Like a half turn fake armada.

Originally posted by Lost Ronin
I have no doubts that with the proper training, Capoeira can be an effective style. Because I am a firm believer in the fact that it's the individual who makes the style work. But I respectfully have to remind you my friend to not under estimate Muay Thai or Karate. I have sparred with Capoeristas before and I've thrashed people about, and If the stand up fight doesn't go my way, I can always take you down and introduce you to my world.
Your world, huh ? Too bad i'm already familiar with that side as well. :rolleyes:

Back