Rumored Canelo vs Benavidez PBC PPV September

He wanted the path of least resistance for the most money.
Don’t we all?

The great chael sonnen once said, “I want the easiest fight on the biggest stage for the most money possible.”

When I have a kid ready to turn pro we sit down and discuss their goals. If they want glory and fame, we target the ufc. If they want to be a prize fighter and pay their bills with fighting and don’t care about the fame then we make our plans accordingly. Between sponsors and how Busy the B level promotions can keep you while fighting a lower level of talent you can absolutely earn more than fighting the best in the world for 16/16, or getting a 5 fight deal off of the contender series and getting thrown to the wolves before the contract is up bc if you lose that 5th fight you can’t negotiate as hard.

Don’t we all?

The great chael sonnen once said, “I want the easiest fight on the biggest stage for the most money possible.”

When I have a kid ready to turn pro we sit down and discuss their goals. If they want glory and fame, we target the ufc. If they want to be a prize fighter and pay their bills with fighting and don’t care about the fame then we make our plans accordingly. Between sponsors and how Busy the B level promotions can keep you while fighting a lower level of talent you can absolutely earn more than fighting the best in the world for 16/16, or getting a 5 fight deal off of the contender series and getting thrown to the wolves before the contract is up bc if you lose that 5th fight you can’t negotiate as hard.
Sure, but that won't do anything for your legacy. Canelo said recently that he'd fight anybody and everybody. He's also the undisputed SMW champion. How can anyone take that seriously if he's unwilling to fight the one guy he should've already fought by now? Instead he's now effectively holding all of the belts hostage (by not fighting Benavidez) and asking for a king's ransom ($150-200m).

Sure, but that won't do anything for your legacy. Canelo said recently that he'd fight anybody and everybody. He's also the undisputed SMW champion. How can anyone take that seriously if he's unwilling to fight the one guy he should've already fought by now? Instead he's now effectively holding all of the belts hostage (by not fighting Benavidez) and asking for a king's ransom ($150-200m).
I hear you and agree, but I also can’t help but respect what he’s trying to do for his families legacy. If they manage it right that money will last far longer than his name in the sport of boxing. How many boxers can we all name from 100 years ago? A handful, sure. But among the bunch we can name are other guys who were legendary in their own right and their name is forgotten like anyone else’s. 150 years ago? Even less boxers can be named by true fans of the sport. Yet 150 years is less than two lifetimes. He could have a grand kid alive in 150 years from now, still living high on the hog bc his grandpa charged a company with half a billion dollars a princely sum to risk his literal life fighting on their show.

All that bullshit and conjecture aside, I really want to watch them fight sooner than later. Canelos on the backside of his prime and benevidez is coming up towards his zenith. The longer they wait the riskier it becomes for canelo and the less competitive it will end up being. Selfishly I want this one to happen asap

What do you mean outrageous? That's chump change to the Saudis.
The Saudis certainly wouldn't want to set a precedent where champions can ask for any amount they want to fight their mandatories. Soon enough, people will start asking for 500 million, then 800, then 1.5 billion. It's a slippery slope.

Whether they pay Canelo his ransom or not, we'll see. The Saudis have never done business with PBC before. That's also worth noting.

Whether they pay Canelo his ransom or not, we'll see. The Saudis have never done business with PBC before. That's also worth noting.
The Saudis won't pay Canelo $200 mil or anything close to it, there was a time when they would've, but they have options now that they've mostly been mainstreamed they're getting tighter with their money. Back in 2019 when they were a global pariah Canelo could've gotten that kind of money from them.

For most people it's about seeing Canelo lose. He fought everyone in his time, is now past his prime, and is smart enough to go out on his terms. He has nothing to prove or gain in this fight other than proving people wrong. He's done that his whole life.

I believe a true boxing fan would understand this and not be so hung up on seeing Canelo lose. David just has to keep winning most of us know he is better I don't need to see him beat Canelo to prove it. His time will come.

For most people it's about seeing Canelo lose. He fought everyone in his time, is now past his prime, and is smart enough to go out on his terms. He has nothing to prove or gain in this fight other than proving people wrong. He's done that his whole life.

I believe a true boxing fan would understand this and not be so hung up on seeing Canelo lose. David just has to keep winning most of us know he is better I don't need to see him beat Canelo to prove it. His time will come.
Then he has to give up the belts.

You went on a long speculative rambling while ignoring the main issue, which is that Canelo is preventing deserving contenders from getting belts.

Benavidez’s time already came 3 years ago when he became the #1 contender. And yet he still can’t fight for the belts and most likely never could.

Back