• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Canelo: Charlo, yes. Benavidez, yes. Plant, yes. Andrade, no.

I don't see the point of ignoring attributes when comparing fighters, we judge them as a package. Canelo has better defense but that's the only advantage he has imo , and has a bunch of disadvantages, namely being much smaller. Of course size does not matter when you fight power puffs like Smith but against a monster who has no fear, its a big problem.

He fought bangers in Jacobs and GGG. Relatively unfazed by their power. Someone will need to outbox him to beat him and that’s not Benavidez.

He was 24 years old then. Dude is in his prime now. Even his haters have to acknowledge how he’s improved in the last 5 years.
He fought bangers in Jacobs and GGG. Relatively unfazed by their power. Someone will need to outbox him to beat him and that’s not Benavidez.

Those bangers were not heavy volume combination punches, and not very fast. Benavidez has relentless swarming pace along with speed, power and volume. Check out the highlights of his last fight vs Ellis, where he threw a 20 punch combo in round 11.Totally different style and pace to a 36 year old GGG. That will be the difference imo.

Those bangers were not heavy volume combination punches, and not very fast. Benavidez has relentless swarming pace along with speed, power and volume. Check out the highlights of his last fight vs Ellis, where he threw a 20 punch combo in round 11.Totally different style and pace to a 36 year old GGG. That will be the difference imo.

Again, Canelo is the better boxer. Benavidez makes himself available to get hit; Canelo does not. If he can’t outbox Canelo, he will have problems. When you’re exceptionally the better boxer, someone needs to outbox you. Volume and speed will not do it.

And this is why I don’t trust your analysis. You reference the Kirkland fight but ignore more recent fights against better opponents. If you say Canelo is flat footed or is fleet of foot, you do not know what you’re watching or you haven’t watched him fight much. That’s an old criticism from like 5 years ago.

Yes he is a better boxer but superior attributes can make up for that , like being far bigger, far more reach, far higher volume and faster hands. None of which you seem to acknowledge. If boxing ability is all that mattered Floyd would have been beating super middle weights.

Nothing wrong with Callum Smith. Yildrim is about the same level as Dirrell at this point.

I have zero problem with a p4p type like Canelo who wants to stay active while also sprinkling in champions.

Who even does that these days? I mean...none of the top WW even have fights scheduled and it's cinco de drinko.

Canelo about to fight twice in 2021.

I have zero problem with a p4p type like Canelo who wants to stay active while also sprinkling in champions.

Who even does that these days? I mean...none of the top WW even have fights scheduled and it's cinco de drinko.

People complain about fighters only fighting twice a year. Then one starts fighting 3-4 times a year - but one of the opponents wasn't the best in the world so it's all garbage.

People complain about fighters only fighting twice a year. Then one starts fighting 3-4 times a year - but one of the opponents wasn't the best in the world so it's all garbage.

If he’s that eager to fight the best, how comes he keeps ducking Tyson Fury ? HA !

Yes he is a better boxer but superior attributes can make up for that , like being far bigger, far more reach, far higher volume and faster hands. None of which you seem to acknowledge. If boxing ability is all that mattered Floyd would have been beating super middle weights.

You don’t know boxing. That’s a terrible example. The second half of Floyd’s career, he basically was not cutting weight and always fighting bigger dudes. You know, fighting guys like Canelo, who’s a super middleweight right now. Also, Floyd is 152 lbs at the most soaked and wet, how the hell is he supposed to even get to 168? The reason why Floyd lasted as long as he did is because of skills. The reason why someone Roy Jones had a steep drop off is because once his attributes declined, he didn’t have the skills. And trust me, Benavidez is no Roy Jones.

I’m with you, but let’s make this point properly, 3 times inside of 6 months (December 19th) and will likely schedule another fight for September. And there might be a real chance he ends up fighting 5 times in a 12 month period.

No, you're wrong, you lose. Watch Saturday, he'll toy with BJS, and give him a boxing lesson on top of turning him into a highlight. Yes: Canelo called his shot in the Kovalev fight and hit a bullseye. Hes a complete fighter. Benavidez is light years away right now. He needs to fight somebody legit, but he'll probably get his shot at some point anyway even fighting journeymen.

I’d love a Benavidez fight provided David trains hard and smart, we certainly do agree on this. Most unpredictable fight for Ginger at 168.
Few times I've seen David he seems to get caught a fair bit. Not a good sign against one of the best combination punches in the game.

He didn't used to, but I'd say he's got pretty solid footwork nowadays. Golovkin circa 2017 was much better at cutting the ring than Benavidez has shown and he had little success trapping Canelo, and Benavidez generally needs to set his feet to make use of his hand speed. His feet are much better than they were 5+ years ago against Mayweather and Lara.

2015^ Golovkin started slipping by late 2016, so whenever I see that I rewind a bit. Really 2014 was the best for him. That was peak GGG. 2017, he his punch selection went down and, although feet are a huge part of ring cutting, that lessened arsenal means you can't pen an opponent in with timely hooks.

Edit: other wise I mostly agree, but I still think a guy like Lara will make Canelo look like he has 2013 Canelo's footwork.

2015^ Golovkin started slipping by late 2016, so whenever I see that I rewind a bit. Really 2014 was the best for him. That was peak GGG. 2017, he his punch selection went down and, although feet are a huge part of ring cutting, that lessened arsenal means you can't pen an opponent in with timely hooks.

Edit: other wise I mostly agree, but I still think a guy like Lara will make Canelo look like he has 2013 Canelo's footwork.

What's the point of anything you just said? Does it relate to a single point I made?

lol, Which point did it relate to?

"Golovkin circa 2017 was much better at cutting the ring" and "His feet are much better than they were 5+ years ago against Mayweather and Lara."

^that'll do

"Golovkin circa 2017 was much better at cutting the ring" and "His feet are much better than they were 5+ years ago against Mayweather and Lara."

^that'll do

I might be fundamentally stupid, but I'm failing to see how your diatribe on Golovkin is at all relevant to my original post.

I might be fundamentally stupid, but I'm failing to see how your diatribe on Golovkin is at all relevant to my original post.

The problem is that you viewed it as a diatribe, when it was adding an observation--actually two--about GGG and about Canelo's footwork. Not every reply is an attack. Safe travels.

Back