• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Canelo: Charlo, yes. Benavidez, yes. Plant, yes. Andrade, no.

Canelo also needs to set his feet, and usually just sits in the pocket waiting to counter. Go watch the Kovalev fight again which was an even fight at the time of stoppage where Canelo struggled to get past a weak jab and barely any power punches thrown from a shot opponent then try and picture him standing infront of Benavidez like that. Huge trouble.

Kovalev set to throw like 5 times the whole fight and got countered every time. He had a flicking jab that scored sometimes because Kovalev used to have one of the great jabs in boxing, but he barely committed to a thing the whole fight.

Yeah, when will Canelo fight someone fresh and relevant like Dirrell?

Maybe when he finishes beating up greats like Avni Yildrim, Rocky Fielding, Callum Smith and a shot Kovalev.

Great point

As good as his was to my post.

Kovalev set to throw like 5 times the whole fight and got countered every time. He had a flicking jab that scored sometimes because Kovalev used to have one of the great jabs in boxing, but he barely committed to a thing the whole fight.

True and yet the fight was still basically even going into the 11th, and everyone still raves about how amazing Canelo was to stop a frail old man.

True and yet the fight was still basically even going into the 11th, and everyone still raves about how amazing Canelo was to stop a frail old man.

You understand it's significant how Kovalev walked into the fight and tried to box and impose himself only to find the he couldn't follow up his great jab with anything substantial? The fight developed how it developed afterwards, but that point alone is significant. He completely nullified the only way Kovalev could win within about 4-5 rounds. Canelo isn't at the level of truly ATG boxers when it comes to nullifying an opponent to render them ineffective, but he's close.

You understand it's significant how Kovalev walked into the fight and tried to box and impose himself only to find the he couldn't follow up his great jab with anything substantial? The fight developed how it developed afterwards, but that point alone is significant. He completely nullified the only way Kovalev could win within about 4-5 rounds. Canelo isn't at the level of truly ATG boxers when it comes to nullifying an opponent to render them ineffective, but he's close.

Furthermore Canelo’s plan was to take Kovalev out of here rather than outpoint him. He stuck to it until the end, making every punch matter. The fight was obviously close scoringwise but Canelo kept his cool and didn’t get reckless at all. He just knew he’d get to him. It isn’t his best win but for a first fight at 175 against a titlist with this kind of experience it was quite impressive.

Furthermore Canelo’s plan was to take Kovalev out of here rather than outpoint him. He stuck to it until the end, making every punch matter. The fight was obviously close scoringwise but Canelo kept his cool and didn’t get reckless at all. For a first fight at 175 against a titlist with this kind of experience it was quite impressive.

It's hard to convince people that a guy was really true to a program, but that's the essence of how he boxed. I'm someone who bet against Canelo in his first fight against Golovkin and he did better than I thought (I still think I deserve my money on him to win by decision at 3/1), only to see him get much better in the rematch and win halfway convincingly (close fight). Seeing the way he boxed in the rematch made me a permanent believer in Canelo. He backed Golovkin up even if it wasn't the best idea throughout the whole fight. It showed a lot in Golovkin's favour, too, which people forget (I think Golovkin barely lost that fight). But it really showed him as a fighter with the ability to do just about anything. Golovkin was a bad matchup for him, and he walked through 2 fights better than he was before.

Last edited:

Right so the fact Canelo struggled to get past a weak jab from a shot fighter who could not get off anything else for 10 rounds is actually a demonstration of amazing skill now, rather than a exposed limitation? You fan boys are unreal how you twist things, do you really even believe that? Kovalev was consistently winning rounds, and the fight was basically even, if that's being nullified then god damn Canelo really must suck.

Furthermore Canelo’s plan was to take Kovalev out of here rather than outpoint him. He stuck to it until the end, making every punch matter. The fight was obviously close scoringwise but Canelo kept his cool and didn’t get reckless at all. He just knew he’d get to him. It isn’t his best win but for a first fight at 175 against a titlist with this kind of experience it was quite impressive.

This one is even better, so now Canelo doesn't even have to worry about the score cards because he is certain he will just be able to KO his opponent eventually. Gold.

Right so the fact Canelo struggled to get past a weak jab from a shot fighter who could not get off anything else for 10 rounds is actually a demonstration of amazing skill now, rather than a exposed limitation? You fan boys are unreal how you twist things, do you really even believe that? Kovalev was consistently winning rounds, and the fight was basically even, if that's being nullified then god damn Canelo really must suck.

This one is even better, so now Canelo doesn't even have to worry about the score cards because he is certain he will just be able to KO his opponent eventually. Gold.

I'll put money on it now. I'll give you 3/1 within the next year and a half and you can potentially hold me to these odds longer. Canelo beats Benavidez. All bets go through the mods and I can guarantee several mods here know I'm good on the money.

He made the right tactical choice and implemented it well. Shame on him, I guess.

Last edited:
I'll put money on it now. I'll give you 3/1 within the next year and a half and you can potentially hold me to these odds longer. Canelo beats Benavidez. All bets go through the mods and I can guarantee several mods here know I'm good on the money.

Deal. I will put more on top for a stoppage even.

I've never seen so many people defend a fighter.
I didn't take you as a fan boy tbh did you know they had that fight 6-1 to Canelo after 7? Close fight you say, dough boy threw 5 shots a rd. If something has to be constantly defended, maybe there's some issues. Maybe?

I've never seen so many people defend a fighter.

I didn't take you as a fan boy tbh did you know they had that fight 6-1 to Canelo after 7? Close fight you say, dough boy threw 5 shots a rd. If something has to be constantly defended, maybe there's some issues. Maybe?

It was close, and I think Ginger didn’t care much about the scoring as he knew it wouldn’t get to the cards. 6-1 Canelo at some point is waaaay too wide.

For the record I root against Canelo every fucking time he fights - the BJS bout being a possible exception.

It was close, and I think Ginger didn’t care much about the scoring as he knew it wouldn’t get to the cards. 6-1 Canelo at some point is waaaay too wide.

For the record I root against Canelo every fucking time he fights - the BJS bout being a possible exception.
There's more to come, many will be frothing at the mouth come fight night:)

Deal. I will put more on top for a stoppage even.

Respect. We can put dollar amounts when it happens. I'll account for stoppage. I'll be held to this, as will you.

No problem. To claim canelo was so confident of stopping someone like Kovalev in his first fight at 175 is just laughable.

No problem. To claim canelo was so confident of stopping someone like Kovalev in his first fight at 175 is just laughable.

I'd have never claimed that.

It's on record, though. If you want to be a coward, it's on you.

Agreed.

I'll be rooting for Plant, Benavidez, Morrell or anyone else that Canelo fights. I want someone to beat Canelo i really do, just not in this fight.

Well, he didn’t fight to outpoint him. His output was lower and more focused on power shots than usual. He did it on purpose. You may want to rewatch the fight.

Back