Economy Canadian home prices have jumped 22% from last year

*herd, unless this is some pun that's gone over my head.

Either way I am a bit sympathetic to this view, maybe we should encourage people to move away from cities. We can study and work from home and if we invest in rural internet access then maybe it'd make more sense for many people to move where cost of living is cheap while still having access to employment and education. Haven't thought this through deeply so just a thought.

Rural internet connection is a real topic in Canada. Not by our higher levels of government, they’re simply not capable of making any meaningful change, but amongst a huge variety of community groups. Canada has, predictably, terrible internet service to go along with our highest cost in the first world phone and television bills.

That was a legitimate part of my wife and I selecting a house to purchase a handful of years ago. As she works in digital marketing she is able to work for companies basically anywhere (was working for one in Toronto when we moved here, now working for one in Vancouver), but we had to make sure not only the area, but the STREET in the area we were looking at had good enough internet. There were houses that were 100ft away from the apparent end of a good line and internet providers wouldn’t spoil a wire that far for 10,000.

Pretty sure China stopped taking ours. We no longer recycle plastic that doesn't have a deposit. Maybe shit gets tossed into the volcano for all I know.

We talked about that here for about a week, and now no one remembers. And by “we talked” I mean there were some news articles. You’d think with as much effort as we put in pretending to care about environmental issues it would maybe come up in an election, but no.

I don’t understand why we allow foreign ownership of Canadian homes in this kind of market.

Real estate is the single largest contributing sector to the Canadian GDP. That’s the answer. Our current spending system is based on requiring growth above debt increase indefinitely, any serious attempt to adjust the market could legitimately collapse our national debt spending strategy, which supports most of the provinces.

Cities, lol.

Eventually the clowns on this planet will realize that living on top of one another is a really bad idea.

Thin the herd, spread the land.
The housing market is going up in the country too. Best option IMO is to buy a good cheap plot of land and use the trees on it to mill your own lumber and build a house for cheap. then sell for 6 figures.

Big jump in NY as well, great time to sell, so I am…

They come from Toronto to the GTA and drive prices up here. It's insane. We bought a year ago and the same houses in our complex are worth 200,000 more.

Right. And it's not a coincidence that better jobs are in cities.

I think one of our top priorities should be to bring costs down in cities, and that means allowing more construction. Building up certain less-urbanized areas would also help a lot.
You can't win. They don't want to develope parts of the greenbelt but they want more affordable housing. Somethings going to have to give.

Rural internet connection is a real topic in Canada. Not by our higher levels of government, they’re simply not capable of making any meaningful change, but amongst a huge variety of community groups. Canada has, predictably, terrible internet service to go along with our highest cost in the first world phone and television bills.

That was a legitimate part of my wife and I selecting a house to purchase a handful of years ago. As she works in digital marketing she is able to work for companies basically anywhere (was working for one in Toronto when we moved here, now working for one in Vancouver), but we had to make sure not only the area, but the STREET in the area we were looking at had good enough internet. There were houses that were 100ft away from the apparent end of a good line and internet providers wouldn’t spoil a wire that far for 10,000.
Rural internet infrastructure is part of the big, progressive infrastructure bill and some see it as a needless policy. It sort of annoys me that people don't see it as being as important as roads and bridges and whatnot. I understand some of the apprehension with some of these progressive priorities but expanding internet access for rural Americans is in everyone's benefit I think.

I don’t understand why we allow foreign ownership of Canadian homes in this kind of market.
China does not allow foreigners to own land. Heck China does not even allow Chinese to own land. When Chinese buy apartments, they are buying a long term lease, usually around 70 years.

Meanwhile in America, Canada and elsewhere in the West, Chinese people can buy property. And these Chinese are wealthy, and you get wealthy there by being chummy with the CCP.

They come from Toronto to the GTA and drive prices up here. It's insane. We bought a year ago and the same houses in our complex are worth 200,000 more.
Toronto money is investing in the Calgary residential market to the point that I'm noticing it on my work. I'm a one man gong show (plumber) and get requests to tackle large scale renovations regularly. I'm not talking about single family dwellings but multiple units at once. The last request was for 20 old condos to be finished by year end. Lol. Pass.

Toronto money is investing in the Calgary residential market to the point that I'm noticing it on my work. I'm a one man gong show (plumber) and get requests to tackle large scale renovations regularly. I'm not talking about single family dwellings but multiple units at once. The last request was for 20 old condos to be finished by year end. Lol. Pass.

Poor worth ethic noted.

China does not allow foreigners to own land. Heck China does not even allow Chinese to own land. When Chinese buy apartments, they are buying a long term lease, usually around 70 years.

Meanwhile in America, Canada and elsewhere in the West, Chinese people can buy property. And these Chinese are wealthy, and you get wealthy there by being chummy with the CCP.
I looked it up a while ago and from what I remember there are under, or right around 2000 millionaires in Canada. That's pretty high considered our population size and represents impressive investment power.

But China has somewhere around 4 000 000 millionaires. Lol. So even our elites can't compete with that sort of buying power. Think about that. If one in 10 Canadians had over a million in the bank we'd still be outnumbered. There's no way in hell the average Canadian family can compete in the housing market if even one in a hundred of those foreign nationals decided to buy up properties here.

Tl/Dr. We're fucked if we keep selling our future wealth to China. And that's what housing represents; generational wealth.

Lots of people do just like living in cities

Not me, not any more. I used to think I'd ultimately retire to the country but that seems less and less possible all the time.

Poor worth ethic noted.
Lol. There's some of that to be fair, but the whole endeavor is a logistical impossibility right now. Not just for me, but any plumbing outfit.

An undertaking like that can be done, but it takes planning, experience and a reliable crew. The red flag was the guy asking me if I had other trades I could sign up. And that's something to be considered in the planning process, not 10 weeks out from competition. I don't need that sort of headache unless I get a decent percentage of the profits.

I looked it up a while ago and from what I remember there are under, or right around 2000 millionaires in Canada. That's pretty high considered our population size and represents impressive investment power.

But China has somewhere around 4 000 000 millionaires. Lol. So even our elites can't compete with that sort of buying power. Think about that. If one in 10 Canadians had over a million in the bank we'd still be outnumbered. There's no way in hell the average Canadian family can compete in the housing market if even one in a hundred of those foreign nationals decided to buy up properties here.

Tl/Dr. We're fucked if we keep selling our future wealth to China. And that's what housing represents; generational wealth.

Pretty much. Even if there was a readjustment in the form of a "crash" in the housing market, it would just become a black friday sale for the countless millionaires in China and India. They don't even have to call or visit properties anymore; it's all online and they can buy everything they want.

I'm starting to think it may be game over for this country. Culturally and spiritually people here want to self-destruct. It's crazy; we literally have to fight a 24/7 war just to keep lefties from destroying everything. Shouldn't citizens of a country want things to be well? It's not supposed to be a struggle. There's no will at all from the authorities to preserve the integrity of this palce either. My father immigrated directly from Europe; I have one or two high-quality citizenships I have a decent chance of being awarded by jus sanguinis if I pursue them. Heck, maybe I should really do that. Dealing with occasional snackbar explosions isn't that bad.

Sounds like a nightmare and a customer who has 0 clue what they're doing and will dick you around for money Lol'm lucky my company pays me well enough that i really only need to take on sideys for extra cash.

Concentrating vast populations into cities is only good for the environment if the cities are designed well. This will be a major problem going forward as the population increases.

I feel continued urbanization will eventually grow these cities extremely large, converting the already-dwindling suburban farmland into housing and swallowing up the rest of the suburbs while increasing the detrimental impact on wildlife. This process is already underway.

Eventually this will limit the availability of local food sources and increase our dependence on food sources further and further away as farmland becomes scarcer near the cities, impacting the climate negatively.

We need to preserve as much farmland as possible in and around communities.
Don't forget vertical and warehouse farming.

Sounds like a slum lord unless it paid well.

Sounds like a slum lord unless it paid well.
Sounds like a nightmare and a customer who has 0 clue what they're doing and will dick you around for money Lol'm lucky my company pays me well enough that i really only need to take on sideys for extra cash.
I didn't even bother to bid it. He had my attention, then started to lose it when he mentioned the tight deadline and I completely checked out when it became obvious he had no trades lined up. Lol. The opportunity to make money in this housing market has all sorts of people dipping their toes in the business but I'm not interested in being their general contractor unless there's a bonus involved. Even if that was the case that many units in that timeframe is a big ask.

And yeah, lots of people want to cut crazy corners and build a shit product. I've worked for slum lords and fuck those people. Slum lords or shady builders legit piss me off. Your home should be safe and comfortable and the biggest investment of your life should last and be problem free.

I didn't even bother to bid it. He had my attention, then started to lose it when he mentioned the tight deadline and I completely checked out when it became obvious he had no trades lined up. Lol. The opportunity to make money in this housing market has all sorts of people dipping their toes in the business but I'm not interested in being their general contractor unless there's a bonus involved. Even if that was the case that many units in that timeframe is a big ask.

And yeah, lots of people want to cut crazy corners and build a shit product. I've worked for slum lords and fuck those people. Slum lords or shady builders legit piss me off. Your home should be safe and comfortable and the biggest investment of your life should last and be problem free.
Agreed.
It's sad.
Rural internet infrastructure is part of the big, progressive infrastructure bill and some see it as a needless policy. It sort of annoys me that people don't see it as being as important as roads and bridges and whatnot. I understand some of the apprehension with some of these progressive priorities but expanding internet access for rural Americans is in everyone's benefit I think.
Depends on the cost.
If it's billions that could be feeding and educating people vs. getting a couple dozen hemits quicker pron access I have my doubt.

LEO sat internet is possible, just a matter of who we let pollute the sky, how much subsidy it gets and what they charge.

Back