Economy Canadian home prices have jumped 22% from last year

Scheme

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canad...r-cent-since-last-year-survey-finds-1.5624046

The Canadian housing market continues to defy the odds by continuing to grow at insane rates. Toronto has also been called the second largest real estate bubble by a Swiss bank (https://betterdwelling.com/a-global...-2nd-biggest-real-estate-bubble-in-the-world/).

Honestly I don't even understand how people survive in Toronto or Vancouver. The wages are not great, the housing prices are absurd and the cost of living in general is insanely high.

Cities, lol.

Eventually the clowns on this planet will realize that living on top of one another is a really bad idea.

Thin the heard, spread the land.
*herd, unless this is some pun that's gone over my head.

Either way I am a bit sympathetic to this view, maybe we should encourage people to move away from cities. We can study and work from home and if we invest in rural internet access then maybe it'd make more sense for many people to move where cost of living is cheap while still having access to employment and education. Haven't thought this through deeply so just a thought.

Last edited:

Either way I am a bit sympathetic to this view, maybe we should encourage people to move away from cities. We can study and work from home and if we invest in rural internet access then maybe it'd make more sense for many people to move where land is cheap while still having access to employment and education. Haven't thought this through deeply so just a thought.
You don’t know much about the Canadian landmass eh.

Either way I am a bit sympathetic to this view, maybe we should encourage people to move away from cities. We can study and work from home and if we invest in rural internet access then maybe it'd make more sense for many people to move where land is cheap while still having access to employment and education. Haven't thought this through deeply so just a thought.

A higher percentage of the population living in cities is better for the economy and the environment, and I think generally leads to people being better off (more experience choices, better relationship matching, etc.). Obviously people should choose what they want, and we should provide rural internet access, but the better choice for most people is cities.

@Khabib Khanate, also note that with gov't restrictions on construction in and around cities, we already do a lot to encourage people to move away from cities, and yet people are still willing to pay a massive premium to live near and in them. Median home price in the SF Bay Area, for example, is around $1.4M.

You don’t know much about the Canadian landmass eh.
I was speaking more generally but yeah for Canada its a different story, not as much habitable land. Kind of sucks, you technically have more land than we do but less of it is habitable.
@Khabib Khanate, also note that with gov't restrictions on construction in and around cities, we already do a lot to encourage people to move away from cities, and yet people are still willing to pay a massive premium to live near and in them. Median home price in the SF Bay Area, for example, is around $1.4M.
That's because cities and their suburbs are where employment opportunities are. Well, that's part of the reason. Lots of people do just like living in cities and will work shit jobs and endure high costs of living just to do so. Ambitious young person from small town who moves to the big city for a new life is almost its own genre at this point and not without reason.

That's because cities and their suburbs are where employment opportunities are. Well, that's part of the reason. Lots of people do just like living in cities and will work shit jobs and endure high costs of living just to do so. Ambitious young person from small town who moves to the big city for a new life is almost its own genre at this point and not without reason.

Right. And it's not a coincidence that better jobs are in cities.

I think one of our top priorities should be to bring costs down in cities, and that means allowing more construction. Building up certain less-urbanized areas would also help a lot.

A higher percentage of the population living in cities is better for the economy and the environment, and I think generally leads to people being better off (more experience choices, better relationship matching, etc.). Obviously people should choose what they want, and we should provide rural internet access, but the better choice for most people is cities.

Concentrating vast populations into cities is only good for the environment if the cities are designed well. This will be a major problem going forward as the population increases.

I feel continued urbanization will eventually grow these cities extremely large, converting the already-dwindling suburban farmland into housing and swallowing up the rest of the suburbs while increasing the detrimental impact on wildlife. This process is already underway.

Eventually this will limit the availability of local food sources and increase our dependence on food sources further and further away as farmland becomes scarcer near the cities, impacting the climate negatively.

We need to preserve as much farmland as possible in and around communities.

I think one of our top priorities should be to bring costs down in cities, and that means allowing more construction. Building up certain less-urbanized areas would also help a lot.
Idk if I'm full YIMBY but I definitely think that as of now we need some YIMBYism to counteract decades of NIMBYism so I'm all for bringing costs down in cities. I also strongly believe in expanding access to the internet to more rural areas. Even if it doesn't lead to an exodus from the cities, hopefully it'd help some of the rural poor access better employment and education opportunities. Cities will always be the primary economic engine of our modern societies but maybe there's a world where we're less urbanized and better off for it.

Either way I am a bit sympathetic to this view, maybe we should encourage people to move away from cities. We can study and work from home and if we invest in rural internet access then maybe it'd make more sense for many people to move where cost of living is cheap while still having access to employment and education. Haven't thought this through deeply so just a thought.
No just terrible review on my part. Fixed!

Starlink could fix a lot of internet issues in rural areas. It could be a real game changer allowing people to move out in the middle of nowhere and have high speed internet allowing them to work from home.

Ah yes, more construction. Like in Toronto! The city with the most construction in North America. And the buyers? Chinese foreigners! Investment properties for all, unless you’re born in the city you live in you’re out of luck! Build up those less urban areas so there is more investment properties for China!

Ah yes, more construction. Like in Toronto! The city with the most construction in North America. And the buyers? Chinese foreigners! Investment properties for all, unless you’re born in the city you live in you’re out of luck! Build up those less urban areas so there is more investment properties for China!
Vancouver is just as bad and now Calgary is moving in the same direction. The regular Canadian just can't compete with foreign buying power when our overall population doesn't add up to that of their two biggest cities.

Probably more here in America, id sell my house and make a ton only I'd end up overpaying for something else, its crazy, everything is marked up about 100,000 i feel, atleast lumber going back down for now

Back