Can O'Malley KO Merab?

Shay Brennan

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Finally the division replaced Aljo with an exciting champ like O'Malley but now an even more boring fighter like Merab is gonna fight for the title and will be the favourite.

The only path to victory for Sean seems to be by knockout. He can't submit Merab, he can't win a decisions because he will get overwhelmed by Dvalishvivli's cardio and endless TD's.
But Merab was hurt bad by Moraes so Sean definitely has a chance. O'Malley also has great knees as shown in Marlon and Petr fights.

Who will you be rooting for? How do you see this one playing out?

I'll be rooting for O'Malley because I like his style but also becuase I wanna see the Petr rematch.

Absolutely he can KO Merab, O'Malley is fast and accurate. O'Malley needs to have his TDD on point in this fight and be able to scramble well too. Merab has 1 finish in 13 UFC fights which is ridiculous so he is not a huge threat with submissions though, he has actually been submitted himself in UFC.

O'Malley needs to follow what Aldo did, but of course just have more out put with the strikes, if Aldo had a bit more out put he would have won that fight. Obviously O'Malley has nowhere near the TDD of Aldo, Aldo has lightning fast reflexes and is crazy hard to take down.. but I think if O'Malley can scramble and get up a few times he could catch Merab at some point. I know a lot of people don't like O'Malley so they can't see it.. but honestly his hands are very fast and accurate, he could catch anyone at BW.

If Merab has a weakness it's that he could be sniped before he starts his nonstop grinding. I think this is why Sean thinks it's a good fight for him. Not to mention the size difference. However, if Merab comes in with a smart gameplan for entries, then Sean is going to be in for a long night.

Very easily. the second merab gets aggressive with his offense sean is snipping him.

i'd love too sean fight max, but he is careful with who he fights

Sean seems to thrive on pressure fighters due to his accurate, fast counter strikes. So a guy like Merab, moving into his space, bodes well for him.

he can, i don't know if it will happen. merab has to be careful with omalley's length. i feel like omalley on a good night can practically ko every bw in the history of the sport. except garbrandt in his 25 minutes of excellence against the dominator.

Absolutely he can KO Merab, O'Malley is fast and accurate. O'Malley needs to have his TDD on point in this fight and be able to scramble well too. Merab has 1 finish in 13 UFC fights which is ridiculous so he is not a huge threat with submissions though, he has actually been submitted himself in UFC.

O'Malley needs to follow what Aldo did, but of course just have more out put with the strikes, if Aldo had a bit more out put he would have won that fight. Obviously O'Malley has nowhere near the TDD of Aldo, Aldo has lightning fast reflexes and is crazy hard to take down.. but I think if O'Malley can scramble and get up a few times he could catch Merab at some point. I know a lot of people don't like O'Malley so they can't see it.. but honestly his hands are very fast and accurate, he could catch anyone at BW.
Very nice breakdown. I'm thinking Merab will get takedowns but he doesn't tend to have top positional control. O'Malley is one of the most accurate strikers in the game imo and can definitely find his mark, but Merab is also relentless with his pressure so it should be a great fight.

Merab gets hit in his fights. It is always the same punch too. Sean has 5 rounds to land a punch. Merab’s control isn’t good enough to keep people on the ground.

Merab has some holes in his stand up game, but I think if he shoots low he can close the distance.
If he comes in at waist he'll have either eat a knee or an uppercut.

Shooting at the ankles is a way to negate the knees and uppercuts.
If he gets Sean down he'll have to either sub him or at the very least grind him, because the more time spent on the feet the worse it is.

But yes, O'Malley can KO Merab...that being said, WAR MERAB.

Yes and I hope he does. Fights shouldnt be won via cardio. I mean it’s not Merabs fault that he can set an insane pace and uses it as a weapon.. but regardless off that, you don’t wanna world where dudes are doing strength and conditioning over technique drills. That’s a garbage meta

I can't imagine any other match up being made at this point. I don't know what the fucking hold up is.

Back